Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

REI Tempe moving & expanding

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Oct 09 2016 10:40 am

REI will be moving from the current location in Tempe to a new location in the Chandler Pavilions. Probably in March 2017

Saw the PHX Business Journal article http://www.bizjournals...

Chandler Pavilions about 5 miles south. Off I-10 between Chandler Blvd & Ray Road.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: REI Tempe moving & expanding

Post by te_wa » Oct 09 2016 11:16 am

that move will be great for Lower Gear.
:D

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Oct 09 2016 4:19 pm

The new location will be more convenient for me, since Mrs. big_load's sister lives near the Gilbert/Chandler line.

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Oct 11 2016 6:32 am

Good move for REI, that Tempe store was the smallest and dumpiest REI I've ever been in. Might help the Hiking Shack as well pull in a few new customers from Tempe.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 11 2016 7:38 am

I would bet that the current Tempe location has a pretty good profit margin compared to other stores based solely on the cost of rent. I have to believe that as the primary draw to an otherwise isolated and pretty crappy strip mall they were paying what might be half the price per square foot of the PV store, or the new Chandler location. The future of the current location is going to be interesting (and probably not positive). That corner of Tempe is not great, and the store was broken into recently, among other shady happenings nearby.

But the new location will be larger and the surrounding demographics feature much higher incomes and will probably result in much higher sales overall. I'm quite certain that corporate did the research/math prior to making the move.

It will take me a few more minutes to get to the new store, but it's not a big deal to me. I'm more annoyed that it'll be farther from the after-shopping trip to Boulders! :sweat:
Highway to hell

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Oct 11 2016 8:23 am

I imagine I'll be going to the Paradise Valley REI more often and maybe Hiking Shack a little more-- I need a good excuse to support my local businesses.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

LindaAnn
TangyPlaid Slemonindapelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Oct 11 2016 8:42 am

For a variety of reasons, I don't go to REI very often, but the new location will be much more convenient for me on those rare occasions I do need to get something from there. And, just based on the feedback I've received from my friends, the women of Ahwatukee are VERY excited about the new location. I will miss grabbing a sandwich from Schlotzsky's though, I think that was half the reason I would stop by there.

Grasshopper
Detailapelli

Post by Grasshopper » Oct 11 2016 8:49 am

lindaagm wrote:I will miss grabbing a sandwich from Schlotzsky's though, I think that was half the reason I would stop by there.
Funny.. and I totally agree- for their "original" sandwich with chips & drink ;)
(..and I suspect that Schlotzsky's will miss REI too!)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Oct 13 2016 3:13 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
lindaagm wrote:I will miss grabbing a sandwich from Schlotzsky's though, I think that was half the reason I would stop by there.
Funny.. and I totally agree- for their "original" sandwich with chips & drink ;)
(..and I suspect that Schlotzsky's will miss REI too!)
Across the way from the new location.......http://theshoppesatcasapaloma.com/1/food/ As well as myriad other eateries (Even Chipotle if you dare! :sk: )
Although the craft beer folks will likely head across the freeway to Mellow Mushroom... 1/2 off most all beers 3-6 weekdays.
kurt

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Oct 13 2016 4:37 pm

hikeaz wrote:Even Chipotle if you dare!
Chipotle hasn't killed anybody in weeks! [-(
Highway to hell

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Oct 13 2016 6:04 pm

Visited an REI for the first time in at least a year today - was struck by the familiar and heart-warming smell of new gear when I walked in the door.
Someone should make an REI scented candle.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Oct 13 2016 8:07 pm

Must just be a warehouse, as it's huge and there are numerous loading bays, but there is a large REI building off the 303 in the far western valley/ nether-regions. I like to share.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Oct 14 2016 11:40 am

Jim_H wrote:Must just be a warehouse, as it's huge and there are numerous loading bays, but there is a large REI building off the 303 in the far western valley/ nether-regions. I like to share.
Yes that is the distribution warehouse in Goodyear.
http://www.azcentral.c...
REI, the Seattle-based specialty outdoor retailer, has announced plans to build a large distribution center along Loop 303 in Goodyear that will employ about 120 people.
. . .
The new distribution center is intended to help the company more efficiently serve the Southwest market that comprises 40 of its 140 stores, which are located in 33 states. The Valley has two stores, in Paradise Valley and Tempe.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Oct 15 2016 5:57 pm

cactuscat wrote:Someone should make an REI scented candle.
smells like VietNam, where all their gear is made.
:D

Return to “For Sale”