Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Mount Shuksan(WA)

Postby JasonCleghorn » Oct 17 2016 5:04 pm

Have any of you ever climbed Mt. Shuksan? I have a chance to go on a trip next June there, but admittedly I don't have any ice experience. I was just wondering how much 'skills' you might actually need for this peak. The trip leader said it is much easier than Rainier. I of course can read about it on SummitPost, but hearing from any of you would be a first hand account.

I get the whole people differ in what they fear, etc. but just generalities would be great.

Thanks!
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Mount Shuksan(WA)

Postby DarthStiller » Oct 18 2016 10:26 am

This link has some triplogs of it, but the most recent one is from June 2016 it seems. You can probably use that site to get in touch with more people who have done it.

https://www.wta.org/go...
Last edited by DarthStiller on Oct 19 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidhayes
Speedipelli

Postby sidhayes » Oct 19 2016 6:13 am

Mt. Shuksan is not the easiest mountain to climb especially without ice experience. As usual, the skills include self-arrest and being able to read snow-ice conditions. It seems to me, having climbed it two times, climbing it without some experience, is not a good idea.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby JasonCleghorn » Oct 19 2016 1:52 pm

sidhayes wrote:Mt. Shuksan is not the easiest mountain to climb especially without ice experience. As usual, the skills include self-arrest and being able to read snow-ice conditions. It seems to me, having climbed it two times, climbing it without some experience, is not a good idea.

Yes, I read more about it and that trip is not for me... Google was in fact my friend...
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

Return to “Trail Chat”