Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
scubahooker
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Manhattan,KS

Hike planning help

Postby scubahooker » Oct 18 2016 11:40 pm

Hello All,
MY friend and I are planning a 8 day trip. David, my friend lives in Mesa and I live in Kansas. We were both in the military, so we are use to rucking. I have hiked in New Mexico and on the AT. So far we are planning on leaving around May 13, 2017. We want to go north. Both of us figured about 15 miles a day is a good pace. Any suggestions on where to start and finish? Is may 13th a good date to start? Thanks for any help.

rcorfman
Trendsettin' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hike planning help

Postby rcorfman » Oct 19 2016 8:18 am

You could go from Pine to Elden Pueblo in Flagstaff. That's about 125 miles and would fit reasonably nice in your 8x15 schedule.
Go find a LonelyCache

happyduck
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Postby happyduck » Oct 19 2016 8:23 am

Scubahooker,

You have some possibilities. May it will start heating up in the lower parts of AZ, but parts of the middle and Northern parts will be nice in the day, but cool at nights. You can look at these as suggestions. Gila River Kearney TH to Sunflower TH, UT/AZ boarder to S. Grand Canyon, or Roosevelt Lake Vineyard TH to Washington Park TH.

To help you even narrow down further I would suggest going to the Arizona Trail Association web page become a member for $35.00 (if you itemize is tax deductible). With this it will allow you to have access to the databook that gives waypoints, mileage, water points, and much more. All areas I listed above have car access at both ends. Range of mileage +/- what you are looking at based on 15 miles a day @ 8 days = 120 miles.

If you need further information you can contact me via e-mail on the Arizona Trail Association web page I'm the Regional Steward over passages 16-19.

scubahooker
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby scubahooker » Oct 19 2016 8:37 am

Thanks for the info. My buddy wanted to go from Theodore Roosevelt Lake to Pine. He is not a strong hiker. I am a member of the ATA. Again thanks for the help.

ttretta
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Postby ttretta » Oct 20 2016 12:15 pm

@scubahooker, if your buddy isn't a strong hiker, the Four Peaks section (which starts at Roosevelt lake) and everything up to Pine will be a bit rough - there is a LOT of elevation gain, can be quite hot in May, plus some sections don't have a whole lot of shade until you get to the higher elevations. It's a tough combination. You may consider sections 28 - 32, all of which are less AEG, better weather, more shade, very scenic, and lots of water sources.

scubahooker
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby scubahooker » Oct 20 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks, I will have to discuss it with my stubborn buddy.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Postby Sredfield » Oct 20 2016 3:11 pm

Amen ttretta! Roosevelt Lake to the contour under 4 Peaks is 4000+, not what you want to be your first day on the trail.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “AZT Hiking”