Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Social Media Promoting Our "Hidden" Hikes

Postby SpiderLegs » Oct 19 2016 6:48 am

Cats out of the bag for many hikes due to social media. Now that I'm running the gear rental counter at a local shop I see first hand the lure of Havasupai and R2R for not only Arizona locals but for people all over the world flying in to do them. This week on Facebook and Instagram someone started posting pics and descriptions of doing the Four Peaks MotherLode. To their credit they tried to go out of their way to dissuade the casual or inexperienced hiker from even attempting the hike. Based on the many comments and shares it will be interesting to see how many people attempt the hike in the next few months.

Do we have a responsibility to warn people about going to certain locales or do we just sit back and let the Darwin Affect do it's job? I remember doing my first R2R back in the mid-90's and only running into a handful of other people attempting it. Plus ran into a NPS ranger who thought we were crazy to attempt such a feat and tried to talk us out of it. Now 20 years later there are literally 100's of people doing R2R every day during the prime months of May and October. What was once thought to be an extreme hike is now an every day occurrence.

lindaagm
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Social Media Promoting Our "Hidden" Hikes

Postby lindaagm » Oct 19 2016 7:48 am

Any adult who learns about various hikes or attractions via social media also has the ability to do the proper research before attempting to go there. In my opinion, if they choose to not do that research, or attempt something beyond their abilities, that's their choice/responsibility, and not anyone elses.
Instagram: lindaagm

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Postby Tough_Boots » Oct 19 2016 7:51 am

I don't know that the GC corridor or Four Peaks (visible from nearly everywhere in the area) are great examples of "hidden" hikes, but I think social media has obviously put out the word on some great spots. Battleship in the Supes would be a good example. I've been told that one is my fault. :lol:
"Backpacking has as much to do with what I carry inside as with what goes into the pack. It connects me with woundedness as well as with wonder."
--Belden C. Lane

rcorfman
Trendsettin' Kokopelli

Postby rcorfman » Oct 19 2016 8:22 am

lindaagm wrote: if they choose to not do that research, or attempt something beyond their abilities, that's their choice/responsibility, and not anyone elses.

Until they need to be rescued...
Go find a LonelyCache

lindaagm
Junior Kokopelli

Postby lindaagm » Oct 19 2016 8:31 am

@rcorfman And nobody is forced to be a rescuer. People choose to work those jobs or volunteer to do those jobs.
Instagram: lindaagm

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Postby SpiderLegs » Oct 19 2016 9:29 am

Tough_Boots wrote:I don't know that the GC corridor or Four Peaks (visible from nearly everywhere in the area) are great examples of "hidden" hikes, but I think social media has obviously put out the word on some great spots. Battleship in the Supes would be a good example. I've been told that one is my fault. :lol:

Coffee hadn't quite kicked, was trying to find the right choice of words. I know that Four Peaks is visible from all over town, but only a brave few had tried hiking all of them in one hike. From looking at some of the people on FB and IG that now have the MotherLode on their wish list, SAR may have their hands full. Now that I've become a little more active on IG I have seen some places that were under the radar now seeing a lot more visits. Just hope the crowds don't destroy or vandalize some of the places that are truly unique.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Postby JasonCleghorn » Oct 19 2016 11:09 am

I personally have chosen not to go to Havasupai because of the horses. I've wanted to ask all of these folks pumpkin there if they give a damn about the treatment of the animals that are hauling their gear there (I'm referring to the people's pics I see walking next to the horses and mules not necessarily the ones that carry their own bro crap) but I don't because I don't want to piss people off.

I honestly don't understand how you can weigh out treatment of animals vs. Instagram likes to go there but that's just me... I'm admittedly a leftist progressive but still.

And your original post is one of the reasons that I like peakbagging obscure (or at least ones that no one cares to climb) summits that no one else cares about. I rarely see a soul on any of my hikes now and I like it that way.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Postby JasonCleghorn » Oct 19 2016 11:10 am

SpiderLegs wrote:
Tough_Boots wrote:I don't know that the GC corridor or Four Peaks (visible from nearly everywhere in the area) are great examples of "hidden" hikes, but I think social media has obviously put out the word on some great spots. Battleship in the Supes would be a good example. I've been told that one is my fault. :lol:

Coffee hadn't quite kicked, was trying to find the right choice of words. I know that Four Peaks is visible from all over town, but only a brave few had tried hiking all of them in one hike. From looking at some of the people on FB and IG that now have the MotherLode on their wish list, SAR may have their hands full. Now that I've become a little more active on IG I have seen some places that were under the radar now seeing a lot more visits. Just hope the crowds don't destroy or vandalize some of the places that are truly unique.

Oh its an absolute certainty that they will.
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

skatchkins
4xFourkopelli
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Postby skatchkins » Oct 19 2016 11:23 am

Sometimes I think the hikearizona instagram channel is just #yogabutts spilling over.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

Jim_H
KittY Peakopelli

Postby Jim_H » Oct 19 2016 12:35 pm

Hidden? As in hidden in plain sight?
Guess I'm a desert rodent, now.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Postby JasonCleghorn » Oct 19 2016 1:17 pm

skatchkins wrote:Sometimes I think the hikearizona instagram channel is just #yogabutts spilling over.

Sometimes? :y:

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli

Postby Sredfield » Oct 19 2016 10:02 pm

I regularly discourage people from attempting the AZT or parts thereof if they ask and don't appear to be up to it. I don't see it as an obligation, but rather a courtesy to them and anyone who might have to rescue them.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

ddgrunning
Flutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Postby ddgrunning » Oct 24 2016 2:13 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:Do we have a responsibility to warn people about going to certain locales

Who is "we"?

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Postby SpiderLegs » Oct 25 2016 5:07 am

ddgrunning wrote:
SpiderLegs wrote:Do we have a responsibility to warn people about going to certain locales

Who is "we"?

I guess we don't. Just going to keep my mouth shut and let nature take it's course.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Postby JasonCleghorn » Oct 25 2016 6:26 am

SpiderLegs wrote:
ddgrunning wrote:

Who is "we"?

I guess we don't. Just going to keep my mouth shut and let nature take it's course.

Warning people about inherent dangers exceeding their abilities and taxing SAR staff resources is not part of the Bro Bible, @SpiderLegs... YOLO, Fossil Creek, Havasupai! Yeah!!!

chumley
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Postby chumley » Oct 25 2016 7:50 am

I find it ironic when people use a website as a resource to determine where they will hike, but then judge others who do the same thing. It doesn't matter if the source of your hiking desires is HAZ, Instagram, 14ers, or LOJ. Most peak-baggers aren't poring over topo maps and making spreadsheets at home to determine where their next goal is. We are living in The Information Age, and the internet is a valuable resource for outdoor enthusiasts. If you use it for your goals, you should be mindful of throwing stones from your glass house. :M2C:

The_Eagle
Eaglepelli
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Postby The_Eagle » Oct 25 2016 8:28 am

@chumley
"We need to go there!"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby mazatzal » Oct 25 2016 9:42 am

chumley wrote:poring over topo maps and making spreadsheets

:oops: 8-[ :doh: :lol:

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Postby JasonCleghorn » Oct 25 2016 10:32 am

chumley wrote:I find it ironic when people use a website as a resource to determine where they will hike, but then judge others who do the same thing. It doesn't matter if the source of your hiking desires is HAZ, Instagram, 14ers, or LOJ. Most peak-baggers aren't poring over topo maps and making spreadsheets at home to determine where their next goal is. We are living in The Information Age, and the internet is a valuable resource for outdoor enthusiasts. If you use it for your goals, you should be mindful of throwing stones from your glass house. :M2C:

You can hike and climb without pouring over topo maps and making spreadsheets?

Really?

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Postby RedRoxx44 » Oct 25 2016 6:19 pm

I must admit I have used this website very little to get my "next" hike. I like posting my photos here it's easy and I can look at them all in a nice format. I like to look at other photos and admire the style or the destination.
I do look on my Nat Geo topo program for places I have not been, interesting place names and if I CAN'T find much info on the internet then---I want to go there!

Return to “Trail Chat”