Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Can I drive past Sears Kay Ranch?

Postby Alston_Neal » Nov 21 2016 2:40 pm

As the title says, can I drive past the ranch? It is FR 1058 off the Cave Creek/ Seven Springs road. This would be the road going east just before the Sears Kay ruin parking lot. I can see on GE the road passing the ranch and heading east. We've hiked to the road from Camp Creek falls and now would like to drive in.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

chumley
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Can I drive past Sears Kay Ranch?

Postby chumley » Nov 21 2016 3:12 pm

The topo map indicates that there are gates on both the east and west sides of the ranch. Satellite imagery only shows the one on the east side.

Strangely, I don't recall passing through that gate when I last hiked the road (and my comment says there wasn't a gate :-k )

But I think it's pretty clear from the signage that they're not fans of visitors passing through.
[ photo ]

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Alston_Neal » Nov 21 2016 3:35 pm

I see the west side gate on GE just above the ranch. Hmm and it's open....well at least when the photo was taken. I guess my question is can you drive on a forest road up to the ranch and then past the ranch back into the NF? BTW I tried finding a phone number for the ranch, because the obvious would be call and ask. Hence the post.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

chumley
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Postby chumley » Nov 21 2016 3:51 pm

@Alston_Neal
Good question and I'd like to hear an answer from anybody who has tried. I've run into situations like this before, and the land owner usually has the right/ability to prevent passage through their property. If I owned the ranch I wouldn't allow unrestricted access to traffic across my property.

Return to “General”