Spring 2017 Thru Hikers

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
Trew
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Florence, AZ

Spring 2017 Thru Hikers

Postby Trew » Nov 22 2016 8:16 pm

Wondering who is looking at hiking the AZT in 2017 NOBO.

This year I made it past Saguaro NP to the road that runs up to Oracle. This year I am considering returning to that point and continuing nobo. That would take me over Mt Lemon area and on into Oracle and then off to the Superstitions.

Then again, I may start at Pickpost and go north from there.

Wonder what water conditions will be like in 2017. Such an original thought.

HDMama
New Born Kokopelli
City, State: Winter Garden, FL

Re: Spring 2017 Thru Hikers

Postby HDMama » Nov 22 2016 10:04 pm

Hi Trew! I'm going to hike the AZT this Spring, haven't set a start date yet. I have 1, maybe 2 others coming along.

Trew
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Florence, AZ

Postby Trew » Nov 24 2016 2:20 pm

HDMama wrote:Hi Trew! I'm going to hike the AZT this Spring, haven't set a start date yet. I have 1, maybe 2 others coming along.

The southern end of the AZT is excellent hiking. I had never been up into the eastern Saguaro NP before and that was a very pleasant surprise.

Stavman
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale

Postby Stavman » Dec 04 2016 9:19 am

Im thinking about doing a 100miles of the AZT this spring.... not sure where or when.. But am planning now

PearlandBob
New Born Kokopelli
City, State: Eureka, CA

Postby PearlandBob » Dec 04 2016 1:02 pm

We are planning a thru starting sometime in March

jc2014
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria

Postby jc2014 » Dec 05 2016 4:58 pm

Wife and I are planning a thru hike in March of 2017 and are having a real hard time finding anyone describing how much water they carry at any given time. We will be carrying a water filter and iodine tablets for water along the way but would like to hear from any experienced AZT thru hiker of how much they start out with.

rcorfman
Trendsettin' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby rcorfman » Dec 05 2016 5:18 pm

Well, to start with, you'll only need enough water to get to Bathtub Spring. Then there will be water in Sunnyside Canyon and Scotia Canyon. After that, there will be water in Parker Canyon. So the first 25 miles, water really isn't a big deal. So you really just need to start with enough water to get you to Bathtub Spring, 8.3 miles in (plus a lot of climbing), maybe 10.2 depending on if you need to have the water to get to the border too.
Go find a LonelyCache

jc2014
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria

Postby jc2014 » Dec 06 2016 9:43 am

@rcorfman
Thanks for the reply. I do have all that information and check frequently on the AZT site for updates regarding water supply. Guess I will never get an answer to my question. Not asking anyone to commit, just curious as to what someone has successfully and comfortably carried for water, as everyone knows, that can be a lot of extra weight.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Postby big_load » Dec 06 2016 10:14 am

I never leave a TH or water source with less than 3l unless I'm headed to a known good source just an hour or two away. Usually I carry a lot more than that. I go through more water on warmer days or higher exertion and there can be unexpected delays, so I like to have plenty of margin. I often carry 8-10l or even more on long dry stretches.

Wazo
New Born Kokopelli
City, State: Scottdale, AZ

Postby Wazo » Dec 06 2016 1:36 pm

Hi. I have been planning a 2017 NOBO hike and had planned to start at some point in March. As it turns out, I will not be able to start until after April 1, perhaps as late as April 7. What is a reasonable date for starting in April that will avoid roasting in the desert?

Anyone who has done a thru of the ATZ who is willing to send me any suggestions is more than welcome to do so. I live in Phoenix and have the good fortune of having good support for my thru hike attempt. I attempted a thru of the AT this year but had to stop after 446 miles due to foot problems. I had surgery on my foot and am ready to go again!

If April is too late, I guess I will plan for a SOBO later in the year.

Thanks.

Wazo

wazo@usa.com :y:

rcorfman
Trendsettin' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby rcorfman » Dec 06 2016 1:44 pm

@jc2014
I think three liters is probably good to start with but that really depends on how strong of a hiker you are and how long it will take you to get to bathtub spring.

As far as the data book/water report go, anything with a 2 or better should be considered reliable, at least that was my experience.

I section hiked all of the AZT and when I did the first three passages, I parked at Montezuma Pass and took a liter to the border and back, then I grabbed two more liters and a 20 oz. Gatorade from my truck before continuing on. I got water at bathtub spring and I camped that night in Sunnyside Canyon along a running stream.

Enjoy your hike, the AZT is a great trail!
Go find a LonelyCache

LaughsaLot
New Born Kokopelli
City, State: Norway, ME

Postby LaughsaLot » Dec 07 2016 8:47 am

I am planning a NOBO thru hike starting March 7, 2016. I would appreciate any feedback about this start date being early or late, and also to see if anyone wants to share transportation from Tuscon airport to the trailhead. Can't wait to hike this beautiful and challenging trail.

sandyfortner
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Postby sandyfortner » Dec 07 2016 8:43 pm

Wazo wrote: What is a reasonable date for starting in April that will avoid roasting in the desert?

Thanks.

Wazo

wazo@usa.com :y:

Since you are from the Valley, you know how our springs can be - that heat can come on early or we can have a beautiful spring. Depending on how many miles you plan to cover in a day and how the heat is, you would be fine with an April start. You'll want to be to the Superstitions by the time the heat comes on. North of the Supes, you'll have some hot areas, but you'll be leaving the total desert passages. Roosevelt area and Sunflower can be toasty, but you'll climb away from those areas soon enough. Once you make it to Payson, May should be gorgeous!

sandyfortner
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Postby sandyfortner » Dec 07 2016 8:52 pm

LaughsaLot wrote:I am planning a NOBO thru hike starting March 7, 2016. I would appreciate any feedback about this start date being early or late, and also to see if anyone wants to share transportation from Tuscon airport to the trailhead. Can't wait to hike this beautiful and challenging trail.

You'll want to watch the snow pack for this winter. Will probably need spikes for Miller Mtn and you may even be post-holing in the beginning of March. But then you'll hit the desert stretches and that is a great time to hike them. Wildflowers should be out and temps great. North of the Supes I'm guessing you'll hit snow pack again since you'll be about 1/2 way and into the Mazzies around mid April. Hard to say what Mother Nature has in store for us this year! Once you hit the East Verde at Payson you'll probably continue to see residual snow around Flag and at the North Rim. Very possible for fresh snow north of the Grand Canyon any time - even in May.

Return to “AZT Hiking”