Aug 2015 >>>>> Route Scout <<<<< replaces this app

HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App
● record hikes
● import & export
● offline topo & satellite maps

Android

iPhone

Quirks ( not a HAZ Tracks issue )
- Nexus w/Jellybean off line maps do not work, consider upgrading to 4.4 or higher
- Moto X not working? try "Device only" rather than "High accuracy"
- Android 4.1.1 map freezes, upgrade your device to 4.1.2 or higher

Windows Mobile - Current status :next: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=8120&p=103519#p103519

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App

Post by joebartels » Sep 22 2014 2:13 pm

Created 1.8.4 Saturday evening. Tested iPhone on two hikes

Android & iPhone
- minor touchups - wording & such
- reduced background processing **

iPhone only
- fixed recording time issue
- reset extra storage location ( sorry, this is necessary or iOS may delete at will )
Notice all previous file data will be lost. Export recorded tracks to Route Manger before updating to 1.8.4. Then delete all files as they will be empty. After updating to 1.8.4 import as needed.

** About 40% less recorded points without degrading the track. Hundreds of times less processing too so it may save some battery. Last Saturday I got over ten hours with 20% battery left on one 1500ma battery. On the next extended hike I'll see how it compares. Note: the only other apps running were the required Google system apps.

1.8.4 should be available on Android around 5pm. Submitted to iTunes yesterday so it should be out a week from Tuesday.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

FLYING_FLIVER
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by FLYING_FLIVER » Sep 22 2014 2:39 pm

Joe, Thanks for all your hard work. : app :
I look forward to V1.8.4
Battery usage (a couple versions ago), on my iPhone 5s, was a concern.
It appears you've tackled that issue quite well.
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
J.R.R.TOLKIEN

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 23 2014 11:53 pm

I don't know if it's the new version, or new hardware, but tracks recorded yesterday and today do not have time data when imported to RM. Just mileage and elevation. :-k
Profound observer

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 24 2014 6:11 am

@chumley yes, unfortunately 1.8.3 it is recording invalid time on iPhone as mentioned, addressed & resolved in 1.8.4
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 03 2014 3:15 pm

After nearly two weeks Apple has given 1.8.4 their blessings. It should be available in the next couple hours. As a reminder...
iOS only heads up - All previous file data will be lost. Export recorded tracks to Route Manger before updating to 1.8.4. Then delete all files as they will be empty. After updating to 1.8.4 import as needed.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Stoic
City, State: Avondale,Az

Post by Stoic » Oct 07 2014 9:29 am

Im having an issue with HAZ tracks. I-phone 5s on IOS 8.0.2, HAZtracks version 1.8.4.
I was trying to record a hike, and couldnt get the GPS started. Its stuck on "one moment starting gps"
I tried looking at all the settings, and couldnt find any option to fix this. The other GPS programs I was using worked fine.

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 07 2014 11:15 am

@Stoic
I can duplicate this error on iP6 8.0.2, ht1.8.4.

When launching HT, a dialog pops up that says "no position. unknown gps error".

Following an existing track or starting a new one shows a map and status "starting gps" at the top. That never changes.

In iOS Settings under Location Services, HT is listed with no indication of preference. (Options are "Never" and "Always" -- neither is selected.) Clicking on "Always" puts a check mark next to it, but after relaunching HT the same thing happens and if you go back to Location Services, the "always" preference is no longer selected. Both options are just blank.

Other GPS apps are correctly locating me.
Profound observer

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 07 2014 2:20 pm

Alright, I was unaware as the test phone I'm using is a 4 and does not have an option to upgrade to iOS 8. With the help of Google, apparently iOS 8 has new permissions for location. It'll be 1-2 fun days to rewrite the code. Then 7-14 days for iTune's lightning fast approval.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

FLYING_FLIVER

Post by FLYING_FLIVER » Oct 07 2014 2:25 pm

joe bartels wrote:It'll be 1-2 fun days to rewrite the code. Then 7-14 days for iTune's lightning fast approval.
Apple has had a ton-of-trouble with the launch of IOS 8 and 8.0.1 and 8.0.2
I'm stay on the latest version of IOS 7 until they figure it out.
FYI - Your Ver 1.8.4 works perfectly on IOS 7.
J.R.R.TOLKIEN

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 07 2014 2:36 pm

FLYING_FLIVER wrote:Apple has had a ton-of-trouble with the launch of IOS 8 and 8.0.1 and 8.0.2
Not to carry the fanboi stick too far, but they had no trouble with iOS 8 except that it wasn't ready for the new Health Kit apps. 8.0.1 had problems and was taken down almost immediately, affecting under 40,000 users (out of what, 50+ million?). 8.0.2 has not had any issues.

Apple is in the spotlight, and there's no excuse for a company like it to release software that has major problems. But the hysterical media echo-chamber is a bit overkill too.

Now I'm going to go shave my chest with the edge of my hair-grabbing phone. It has a cool feature that lets you bend it so the curve is ideal for my perfect pecks. :roll:
Profound observer

FLYING_FLIVER

Post by FLYING_FLIVER » Oct 07 2014 2:43 pm

@chumley
I've had Apple products since my first Apple IIe and I wouldn't buy any other manufacturer's stuff. (Sounds like an 'old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks).
However, I have learned to go very slow on updates to firmware/software etc.
I read reviews for at least a week before making a change. You had no choice with the iPhone 6 - It came with IOS 8 right out of the box.
Apple will survive this just fine, but all this may shorten Joe's life !!! ;)
J.R.R.TOLKIEN

PhilMW
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by PhilMW » Oct 08 2014 9:22 am

chumley wrote:Apple is in the spotlight, and there's no excuse for a company like it to release software that has major problems.
Almost every time apple releases an update, or new version they have some sort of issue with it. They usually fix it pretty quickly, but the following update sometimes then has its own issues. You would think a company of their stature wouldn't have an excuse for this, but they feel the need they need to bring something supposedly new to the table so often that they seem to go past their quality control just to get things out for the people to spend more money on.

I realize it's not just Apple that does this, but they are one of the worst about it.

winotron

Post by winotron » Oct 08 2014 4:48 pm

Hey Joe, I'm having some trouble with HAZ Tracks on my phone. It's a Moto X (first gen), Android 4.4.4. Every time I try to start recording it just hangs on "finding position accurary under 10 feet" forever. My accurary will generally stay between 20-25 ft, though occasionally it will spike to 30-50. I've tried it on several different hikes now. I've been trying this since the app was first released, so I've tried 3 or 4 different versions of the app now. Right now I'm using Endomondo to log my hikes, and my GPS generally works just fine in that and other apps. Any ideas? Just an especially crappy GPS on my phone or something?

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 08 2014 5:01 pm

I can work with that, thx for the heads up. If it ever goes below 20 how low have you seen it get?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Oct 08 2014 8:05 pm

winotron wrote:Every time I try to start recording it just hangs on "finding position accurary under 10 feet" forever.
I've been having the same problem (I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.4.2), but haven't mentioned because I haven't really sat down to play around with enough to tell if it's just human error with me operating the app. I'm getting a new phone this week however, so I'll return some feedback after I try it on the new one.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 08 2014 8:17 pm

Larry had this issue on his S3. If I could get an idea how much it got below 20 ft it would greatly aid in a solution.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Oct 08 2014 8:30 pm

If I get a chance (and it's not raining) I'll play with it tomorrow, because I honestly don't remember.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

winotron

Post by winotron » Oct 08 2014 8:46 pm

joe bartels wrote:I can work with that, thx for the heads up. If it ever goes below 20 how low have you seen it get?
The few times I've tried it it's never gone below 20 ft. I'll keep trying it though and let you know.

cdeperro

Post by cdeperro » Oct 10 2014 10:03 pm

@joe bartels
Joe..

I only recently installed HAZ Tracks on my Droid Maxx and it gets down to 3ft accuracy. I have a thought as to the issue with those who can't get it below 20 ft. First, I'm on Android 4.4.4 so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Under Settings > Location, there is (on my phone) a choice for Mode. Touch "Mode" and then there are three options: High Accuracy, Battery-Saving, and Device Only. High accuracy uses all tools; Battery-Saving doesn't use GPS, and Device Only ONLY uses GPS. My phone is set to High Accuracy.

Maybe check this setting?
Chris

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Oct 11 2014 4:41 pm

Test:
Inside with an S3. Android 4.4.2
Accuracy 3 - 8ft - Location mode: GPS only

I believe High Accuracy just adds WiFi and mobile networks to aid in your location.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

Return to “HAZ Apps”