All posts must be respectful

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Map of Grand Canyon fatalities

Post by chumley » May 26 2015 4:24 pm

This is a both fascinating and sobering at the same time.

If you zoom in all the way, each of the marks turns into an icon representing the kind of incident and clicking on it will provide details as published in various sources.

I tend to think the actual numbers are much higher than those represented on this map. But that's just my guess.

Please remember that while the map illustrates "statistics" -- each represents real people with real families. Please keep the big bold warning above in mind before commenting.

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/Storytelling ... 18af579b5a
Profound observer

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Re: Map of Grand Canyon fatalities

Post by neilends » May 26 2015 5:13 pm

I have a very relevant comment to add.

I interned for a federal judge when I was a law student. One day I got to witness him sentence a serial killer to life in prison. The defendant took his wife to the Grand Canyon, and when no one was looking, pushed her over the edge. He got away with it for decades, because there were no witnesses and obviously no forensic evidence suggesting a homicide. But a persistent detective in Colorado learned one day after many years that the defendant was diagnosed with cancer, and drove to his house on a whim that he might get a quasi-deathbed confession. He was right. The bastard confessed. He was deemed a serial killer because this was one of, I believe, 5 different deaths he was implicated in.

That was the first day in my life that I'd ever made eye contact with a serial killer. I looked at him for a second and he looked at me. This sounds like a cliche but it's just a fact: there was nothing behind those eyes whatsoever. His soul was dead.

I did say "first day in my life" on purpose. I have the dubious distinction of being able to say that he was not the only serial killer I've met, because I fight bad guys in court for a living and have met at least one other, plus a mass killer here and there. I do not have a boring job. Sorry to digress.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » May 26 2015 5:13 pm

(pumpkin, lol)
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » May 27 2015 4:59 am

That's a pretty impressive map Chums, I had no idea there were that many deaths in the Grand Canyon.... and so many by air crash....
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 27 2015 5:03 am

@neilends
Bob Spangler, of course. Very interesting story. The rest of you can read about it in the very popular book, Death in Grand Canyon, by Tom Myers and Mike Ghiglieri. Both authors are long-time Flagstaff residents.

If you have a big collection of AZ trail guidebooks, as I do, you may also own On Foot in the Grand Canyon: Hiking the Trails of the South Rim, by Sharon Spangler, one of Bob's several wives.

I well remember my second backpacking trip in the Canyon was New Hance-Tonto-Grandview in 1994. We used that guidebook for some of the info.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » May 27 2015 5:47 am

@mnlumberjack
I'm also surprised by the number of murders...
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 27 2015 6:18 am

@The Eagle
I just clicked around a little bit and also was surprised. The book is updated from time to time. I haven't read the latest edition.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

chumley

Post by chumley » May 27 2015 7:46 am

And apparently making some kind of edible out of the Sacred Datura is an exercise that leads to bad things. I didn't previously realize that plant was used for such things.
Profound observer

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » May 27 2015 7:47 am

For those HAZ'ers whose spouse is always complaining about your constant trips. If he or she asks to go along on a trip to the Grand Canyon be sure that your Life Insurance is paid up. :scared:
Just sayin...
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 27 2015 8:01 am

I'd say get rid of the life insurance! Less motive!

JasonCleghorn
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JasonCleghorn » May 27 2015 12:43 pm

That is fascinating... Which may say something about my nerd/map proclivities.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » May 27 2015 1:03 pm

When the book Over the Edge first came out I was struck by two things. Children died because of adults and seldom fell over the edge, which is every parents fear. I loved the kid who rode his bike off the edge after the E.T. movie came out. He landed in a tree and lived btw.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

nonot

Post by nonot » May 27 2015 6:40 pm

Interesting map, didn't find any deaths by snakebite yet. Didn't find Butchart's semi-famous skeleton find on the map either.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » May 28 2015 7:57 am

5/26/15 - River Rafters Discover Wreckage of Aircraft in Grand Canyon

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html
Last edited by joebartels on May 28 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: copyright material removed
kurt

Return to “Grand Canyon Fatalities”