App support

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
cavaroc
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Route Scout Gaps in GPS Data - Android

Post by cavaroc » Jan 16 2016 4:40 pm

I noticed HAZ Tracks did this a few times and I just tried out Route Scout after the "loading" issue and noticed it too now on that, but every now and then my route will just have a straight line as opposed to following the route, I'm assuming because it loses the signal. In hindsight I did have my phone in snow pants today so maybe that caused it? Either way, is there a way to minimize or eliminate this effect? I'm planning on doing the AZT this March and am hoping my whole route gets recorded.

Thanks!
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Route Scout Gaps in GPS Data - Android

Post by joebartels » Jan 16 2016 5:10 pm

This is an Android issue so I changed the topic name. It is irritating.

The underlying issue is Android can stop the app at it's own discretion. This happens typically when other apps are in use or running in the background. Most likely the camera, which is an app. Then it's generally when the camera is used for about a minute or more. However it's not always the camera. I rarely have issues on my Note 4. Bruce has an S5 and experiences the issue more often.

To put it into perspective there are 4,369 device/os combos for Android whereas just 1 for iOS. If RS isn't working for you on your Android I'd use a different app or get an iPhone. Currently RS is as good as it can get for Android on the free budget. When Android changes a few things I'm pretty sure it will get past this issue. Unfortunately I do not have a time frame estimate yet.

Mark reported this happening more recently. So there may be some stuff I can do to lessen occurrences now that the "loading" issue is resolved.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

cavaroc
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Post by cavaroc » Jan 16 2016 8:12 pm

No worries at all! Good to know there are ways to minimize it. I also have an S5 so I'll look into seeing what works best.

Thanks for the help!
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 16 2016 8:39 pm

joe bartels wrote:there are 4,369 device/os combos for Android whereas just 1 for iOS.
Slight exaggeration. Figure at least 4 previous phone models still in use along with people who don't update the iOS when it is released. Probably a dozen iPhone options. ;)
Profound observer

cdeperro

Post by cdeperro » Feb 06 2016 8:38 pm

Joe...is HAZ Tracks still available?

I never had any interruption on my (same Android) phone but ever since I replaced it with RS, I haven't been able to do a single hike without an interruption. Look in my profile today at "Thompson" and I even got a crazy point way away from the route. I was using HAZ Tracks religiously before that and never had an issue with the same phone. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo. Thanks! PS I looked to see that it was the latest version I have, and it is.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Feb 06 2016 9:39 pm

yes https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... haz_tracks

Be curious to hear if you have any better luck. RS was horrible on Android for me today. Based on feedback, interruptions rarely happen on the iOS version of RS and seem par to other gps apps.

You can run HAZ Tracks / Route Scout / and other gps apps at the same time without using much extra battery. The big battery draw is the gps receiver, not the apps themselves.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

cdeperro

Post by cdeperro » Feb 07 2016 9:40 pm

Well, that proved me wrong. I used good ol' HAZ Tracks today and still couldn't get an uninterrupted route in Papago Park. (Joe...again, have a look in my Route Manager if it interests you).

I don't know what, if anything I can do? I had two gaps today, and the second happened after I even checked the phone to make sure it was still recording after the first gap.

If you hear of any type of fix please let me know. I didn't open anything; the only thing that could have happened is that I got a notification, but that's really sad for Android if that stops my app.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Feb 07 2016 9:46 pm

thx that helps narrow it down, HAZ Tracks hasn't changed in forever so it seems to be a change on Android's end

I'm looking into it more this week
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Feb 09 2016 5:57 pm

Android made a promising change in a January 28th release. Unfortunately I've run into a snag along the way that wipes out all saved data with each new build/version. I'm waiting on response to that issue in the development community.

In the mean time I'll be testing the January change.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

cdeperro

Post by cdeperro » Feb 18 2016 10:33 pm

Hi Joe,

I uploaded some tracks and some info I hope will help you. Please look in my profile for the tracks.

I have two tracks: Wildcat before (at Monument Valley), and Wildcat Edited. I had an extraneous point happen here where I had a huge gap in data. That was when I got a notification that Supreme Court Justice Scalia died. I have edited the route for your potential use on the Wildcat trail, but I'll do a triplog for that first.

More interestingly I uploaded two tracks called Betsy's MMH and Betsy's RS. MMH is by MapMyHike, and RS is RouteScout. I ran both apps at the same time. Here's what I found. I turned on MMH, never looked at it again till I stopped recording. I then turned on RS, and hit my "home" button, minimizing the app. You can see a short gap in data right after I start. I was getting texts, and emails, the whole time, and there are gaps all over the place. If I didn't make sure after each notification to make sure RS was the active app, it just stopped working. It even stopped if I minimized it without a notification. RS (or HAZ Tracks) never did that. Interestingly, I never looked at MMH until the end and it recorded without interruption.

That leads me to believe that it's something in the RS app caused by changes in Android, but you sort of knew that. I just hope you can fix it because RS is superior in all other ways if it will just keep recording! :)

SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » Feb 21 2016 4:56 pm

I believe I'm experiencing the same problem as cdeperro. Every time I stop for even a couple of minutes, e.g. I stopped to take something out of my boot yesterday, and RS FAILED to restart. Is there a RS setting that shuts down after a two or three minute pause? If so, How do I change that setting? I keep getting a notification to rate RS, but I'm reserving judgement on the app until I can create a COMPLETE track. Right now RS is basically unuseable.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 21 2016 5:18 pm

@SAMBA
Could it be your phone? I have a old galaxy S3 and its starts up as soon as I start moving.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Feb 21 2016 5:27 pm

@Widowmaker
Do you ever stop for a few minutes? The last three or four tracks I ATTEMPTED to create quit when I stopped for a few minutes (hours?). Every one of the problematic tracks stop when I first stopped?

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Feb 21 2016 5:40 pm

RS Android will stop whenever it is not in foreground. If you use your phone for anything other than Route Scout it will likely stop. If you take a photo bring RS back up before turning the screen off. Perhaps when you stop and sit down... though I haven't had that happen.

It is being worked on. There are too many complications now to estimate a fix.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Feb 21 2016 6:15 pm

@joe bartels
Joe, I'm aware of those problems, so I made a conscious effort to close all apps (I only opened Chrome), except RS, brought RS to the foreground, and then locked the screen so no other apps would inadvertently open and compromise RS tracking. NO CIGAR! Check my latest track, "RS Fails On Pause!" I posted moments ago to see what I'm talking about

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 21 2016 9:28 pm

@SAMBA
I do stop for breaks but my phone is in airplane mode and I do not use it for anything else. I do look at to check time and distance but that's all. And it has always worked great for me.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Feb 22 2016 1:20 am

@Widowmaker
Until my wireless provider, Republic Wireless, upgraded my Android operating system to version 5.1 a few months ago I could never get HAZTracks or RouteScout to record a GPS track in any Location mode other than "Device only". After the upgrade I was able to record in "High accuracy" mode until TODAY. When I hit the "Begin activity" today, though, my phone pulled a "Maybelline" on me and "You've started back doing the things you used to do". I had to switch back to the old tried and true "Device only" setting to get past the infinite "Determining accuracy" dialog box. NOTE: I just did a test as I typed this response, and RS seems to be working in "High accuracy" mode now. YIKES!!! If Android/Route Scout remains as unstable as it is today, I may be forced to switch back to Garmin Oregon 450t mode.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 22 2016 6:51 am

Widowmaker wrote:And it has always worked great for me.
Do you still have an earlier version of the Android OS on your phone?
My S5 worked well until the latest Android update when the troubles began.
CannondaleKid

tibber

Post by tibber » Feb 22 2016 7:24 am

Route Scout is working fine for me for the most part. Took it out yesterday and all looks good. I am running Marshmallow/Tmobile
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Feb 22 2016 8:15 am

Did Google push out a major upgrade to Android a couple of days ago? When I turned my phone on Saturday morning I waited 20 or 30 minutes for the phone to boot up (the message said something like "activating 87 apps"?). If other HAZers have mysteriously started having problems with RS recently, then the upgrade may be the source of the problem?

Return to “HAZ Apps”