Just a word of warning. I had my water and food stolen from that box last year around the same time (late December - early Janurary). I would recommend caching the water somewhere down the trail a little bit and tagging it with a GPS unit. Carry all your food with you. It nearly ended my trip because we didn't have time to get into and back out of Kearny.Trew wrote:I am going to do Oracle to Picket Post in late January. I have a question- if I leave water in the supply box at the Florence-Kelvin Hwy- will it freeze in January inside the box? What if I insulate it somehow?
At that time of year I should have the box all to myself.
I have been up to the box 2x this year to add water and clean it out.
Did the first 450 miles of the PCT this year. Good rule of thumb is 1L/5 Miles plus 1L for overnight. So, if I had 10 miles to camping and 5 miles the next morning, I would carry 2+1+1= 4 L. My longest "no-water" section was 26 miles (including an overnight) and I carried 6L. This was the most I ever carried. Any more than that is just crazy weight.jc2014 wrote:Wife and I are planning a thru hike in March of 2017 and are having a real hard time finding anyone describing how much water they carry at any given time. We will be carrying a water filter and iodine tablets for water along the way but would like to hear from any experienced AZT thru hiker of how much they start out with.
ultranomad, I am considering a northbound through-hike starting on April 1 (no joke!), but I don't want to do it alone.ultranomad wrote:Hi everyone. I plan to thru hike NOBO starting 3/29/17. See you on the trail.
Sounds like a good plan! Early to mid March should be a good start date. Weather can be fickled, but if choosing between Miller in some residual snow versus passages 14 - 18 in 90+ degrees - take the snow! If you find that you need micro-spikes, you can mail them to Vail once you get to Patagonia.FireFly wrote:I'm also planning a NOBO thru-hike, probably starting around 15 March. I don't want to walk too many miles every day so I have made a preliminary plan that requires 57 days walking (based on where I think I can camp and find water). On top of that I will add about 10 extra days for setbacks, zero days, waiting days for Grand Canyon, etc.
As is the case for everybody, it's a bit of a gamble. Don't want to get stuck in snow but also want to avoid the worst of the heat and finish before water becomes too scarce. Based on this schedule the thru-hike will be 15 March - 21 May.
I'm coming from abroad so I need to arrange flights well in advance. Any comments are welcome!