I will pay you $ name your price to help

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, GPS - Admin

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mackt
City, State: Phoenix, Az

I will pay you $ name your price to help

Post by mackt » May 21 2017 9:59 am

Got a Garmin 64st for Christmas and cannot for the life of me figure it out. I will pay money for 1 to 2 hours of instruction on the Garmin itself and Basecamp. Name your price. I could meet at a library or Starbucks or somewhere with wifi for the basecamp, or I suppose we could do it online, I have a webcam and have screen sharing capability through Skype, Zoom and Go To Meeting. I am at my wit's end.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: I will pay you $ name your price to help

Post by Grasshopper » May 21 2017 10:41 am

mackt wrote: I am at my wit's end.
That's too bad. When you purchased your Garmin 64St, did you not receive a "Quick Start" Guide to help you get started? Setting up an account on Garmin's website and viewing their various video tutorials on your new 64St & BaseCamp should also help. Learning Garmin's BaseCamp is another story entirely.. it takes time and lots of patience. Good luck with it!
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » May 21 2017 12:58 pm

@mackt
I haven't used my old Oregon in years. I'd imagine the screens and steps are fairly similar though. Manuals for the 64st are online but not really intuitive. What are you trying to do. Record a hike, follow a route on HAZ, going on a big backpacking trip or ?

Some basic googling seemed to suggest the 64st has screens similar to the 62. These steps for Oregon might work
newer garmin directions

If you can figure out how to record on your Garmin, there is a Basecamp to HAZ video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMtdaVCpm8

For anyone looking to get into recording/following routes and Santa didn't deliver...
Route Scout is pretty easy for anyone with a 2014+ iPhone or Android.
Record a Hike
- press begin activity
- wait for audio or "0.00 miles" above map
- when finshed press red button above map

Posting
- tap the file in the files folder
- select "post to TrailDEX"
- use "nearby trails" or enter generic name

Follow a Route
- import a route then tap the file
- select "follow / change offline maps"
- crank volume ( Media on Android )
- see "Record a Hike" above
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 21 2017 6:40 pm

I totally get his frustration. It took me forever to figure out even what little I can do with mine. I had no one to help me, and I still don't. The manual was only a little helpful since I am not very computer savvy. I have a mental block as well. I have had to practice each step dozens of times to remember them. I have very little aptitude for computer functions. I would still love to have lessons, but there's never anyone around me who knows that kind of thing.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning » May 21 2017 10:18 pm

@mackt
Amen to this, Brother. My wife got me one for Christmas, and I have found it to be completely un-intuitive. And what's worse, there is no "book" that I've been able to find that provides any detailed explanation about how to use the darn thing. I know it is a very powerful tool, but like yours, mine seemed to be missing the secret decoder ring .....

ddgrunning

Post by ddgrunning » May 21 2017 10:21 pm

joebartels wrote:Route Scout is pretty easy for anyone with a 2014+ iPhone or Android.
Route Scout is great (and pretty intuitive) ... and free! (Thanks, Joe!). It's not the best for multi-day backpacking trips or very long hikes (e.g. R2R2R), though it's not really designed for that anyway.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » May 21 2017 10:30 pm

ddgrunning wrote: It's not the best for multi-day backpacking trips or very long hikes (e.g. R2R2R).
I'm not quite sure why you say this? :-k
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

ddgrunning

Post by ddgrunning » May 21 2017 10:34 pm

@The_Eagle
It has an upper limit on the mileage/routes you can download (e.g., I couldn't download the track for my Buckskin-Paria-Lee's Ferry trip, b/c it was too long). Also, whenever I try to record multiple days on a backpacking trip, on the second or third day, it always gets a bit glitchy and gets stuck on a "recording" screen with an endless circling arrows of death screen. And, it's also dependent on my cell phone battery, which has a lot shorter life than the Garmin.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » May 21 2017 11:02 pm

@ddgrunning
I can't speak for recording and saving multiple days, as I've never tried, but will try in the future.

As far as downloading a track to follow, I just downloaded the official Paria track, Split it in two, and was able to load the entire track to my phone without problems. It won't load with out splitting because of the design. Currently, 35 miles is the limit to any one track, but you can have multiple tracks totaling more than 35 miles.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 21 2017 11:58 pm

RouteScout limits have changed over time. I believe the current limits are 25 tracks, 400 miles and 12,000 points. Should be enough for most backpacking trips!

I've used it for multi-day trips in Grand Canyon, JMT/Yosemite, or just multi-day trips in the Arizona mountains with a lot of different dayhike options. I have saved multiple tracks every day of a trip. (I have an iPhone 6 ... now almost 3 years old, so not the newest, fastest, etc.)

There is no question that a phone battery doesn't last as long as a Garmin. But I'm carrying the phone anyway. And I use it for photos and other apps so I'm going to keep it charged for my backpacking trip either way. Running the GPS on it takes almost unnoticible battery compared to all my photos!

It's had some glitches from time to time, but is generally quite reliable. I haven't carried my Garmin on a hike in over two years! Largely because RouteScout pretty easy to use, and convenient because it runs on a device I already have with me anyway. Honestly, just having the topo maps on a nice color phone screen with pan, pinch and zoom makes it worth it to me.

---
As for the OP, I know that there are some people who love their Garmins. I hope the posts above help you out or somebody steps up and takes your money :). I don't know enough about the 64 to be of much assistance. Good luck!
Highway to hell

ddgrunning

Post by ddgrunning » May 22 2017 5:42 am

The_Eagle wrote:As far as downloading a track to follow, I just downloaded the official Paria track, Split it in two, and was able to load the entire track to my phone without problem
I'll have to figure out how to do this.

syoung
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by syoung » May 22 2017 10:45 am

ddgrunning wrote:
The_Eagle wrote:As far as downloading a track to follow, I just downloaded the official Paria track, Split it in two, and was able to load the entire track to my phone without problem
I'll have to figure out how to do this.
While I am no expert using it, it was a very short learning curve for me just by playing around with it (and a very helpful video from Joe).

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » May 22 2017 2:35 pm

I don't think talking about Route Scout is very helpful for mackt. Let's get this back on topic.

I use a Garmin GPSr a lot, and use Basecamp some too. I have the Garmin 450T, but I can't imagine there is much difference between how to interface to it and the 64ST.

Is there anything you want to do in particular that you haven't figured out, or are you looking more to find out what sort of things you can do with it?

Have you at least been able to plug the 64ST into your computer and see it on Windows Explorer (or do you have a non-Windows machine?) or better yet, see it in Basecamp.

Do you have any maps installed on the 64ST or does it just have the base map? Basecamp only has a base map and will load whatever map is in the connected GPSr (your 64ST).

Ask questions and I'll try to answer. I can perhaps talk you through some stuff, free of charge. PM me if you want.
Go find a LonelyCache

Return to “GPS & Electronic”