2017 Boundary Fire Kendrick Area Trails Closed 180 closed

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Slate Mountain Trail #128, AZ
Linked Area  • Kendrick Mountain, AZ
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

2017 Boundary Fire Kendrick Area Trails Closed 180 closed

Post by hikeaz » Jun 08 2017 4:40 pm

The closure includes all Kendrick Mountain trails, Slate Mountain, Kendrick Park Watchable Wildlife Area, and Crowley Pit.
As of 6/9, US 180 remains closed in both directions northwest of Flagstaff because of the Boundary Fire, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. The closure is between mileposts 236 and 248.

The closure blocks the most direct route between Flagstaff and Valle. Drivers can use Interstate 40 and State Route 64 as alternate routes between those communities.

There is no estimated time to reopen US 180.

450 acres as of today, 6/9.
A hand crew was helicoptered up to Kendrick Peak Wednesday afternoon to wrap the structures in fire-resistant material and clear vegetation around them.
Fire Commander Rice said it was likely the Boundary Fire would grow to 17,000 acres and expected to have it contained in two to four weeks.

The closure boundary begins at the junction of Forest Road (FR) 171 and FR193 on the Coconino NF.
The boundary extends west onto the Kaibab NF on FR171 to FR 144.
On FR 144 the closure area travels north to FR 736.
The closure proceeds east along FR736 to FR 91.
The boundary follows FR 91to the forest boundary.
From the forest boundary on FR91,the closure extends northeast on the Coconino NF along FR 9023C to
FR 9005 and along FR 9005 to State Highway 180.

The closure extends south along State Highway 180 to the junction of FR 193 and then proceeds west along FR 193 to the junction with FR 171.
All roads and trails within the perimeter will be closed to the public, however, with the exception of FR91 on the Kaibab NF and FR’s 9005 and 9023C on the Coconino NF which will be barricaded and signed as closed, travel will be allowed on the other perimeter roads.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5209/
kurt

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Re: 2017 Boundary Fire Kendrick Area Trails Closed 180 closed

Post by toddak » Jun 09 2017 8:18 pm

:( 1500 acres now but they intend to let it cover 17,000 acres, wow. Looks like part of the burn zone may have been very close to the Bull Basin trail, but it's mostly to the northeast of the mountain. Forecast is for strong south / southwest winds (that means from that direction, right?), so hopefully it keeps moving to the NE.

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jun 15 2017 7:15 am

Helicopter aerial ignition operations continue today near the Kendrick Mountain peak. The operations, in which incendiary devices are dropped from a helicopter to reduce dead and down fuels, began near the peak on Tuesday. The plan is to continue to use aerial ignition to bring fire slowly down the mountain. The tactics benefit the ecological conditions in the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness while minimizing impacts.
kurt

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Jun 15 2017 8:29 am

hikeaz wrote:Helicopter aerial ignition operations continue today near the Kendrick Mountain peak. The operations, in which incendiary devices are dropped from a helicopter to reduce dead and down fuels, began near the peak on Tuesday. The plan is to continue to use aerial ignition to bring fire slowly down the mountain. The tactics benefit the ecological conditions in the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness while minimizing impacts.
Hmmm, that sounds like a quote. Source?

Anyway, I call BS here. The spruce-fir forests on top of Kendricks do not need any burning. Those trees are not fire resistant, and there is a ton of deadfall and dead standing timber. Any fire up there is going to do serious damage to the small patch of high-elevation forests remaining. (burning in the ponderosa pines north and east of the mountain is not a big deal though--that's a fire-adapted ecosystem)

Going to get personal here: I've worked with a number of FS people, and they are not the best and brightest. They hire a lot of foresters, and those guys only know how to do 2 things: cut trees and burn stuff. To badly mix metaphors--when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like it needs burning.

BTW, if they're doing ignitions in the wilderness area, I'd bet that someone could convince a judge that they're violating the Wilderness Act. (A quick check around the web didn't turn up any cases along these lines, but USFS personnel have expressed concerns that they could be sued for this sort of thing.)

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jun 15 2017 9:32 am

flagscott wrote:
hikeaz wrote:Helicopter aerial ignition operations continue today near the Kendrick Mountain peak. The operations, in which incendiary devices are dropped from a helicopter to reduce dead and down fuels, began near the peak on Tuesday. The plan is to continue to use aerial ignition to bring fire slowly down the mountain. The tactics benefit the ecological conditions in the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness while minimizing impacts.
My wholehearted apology......Inciweb.
kurt

JasonCleghorn
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JasonCleghorn » Jun 15 2017 10:18 am

flagscott wrote:

Anyway, I call BS here. The spruce-fir forests on top of Kendricks do not need any burning. Those trees are not fire resistant, and there is a ton of deadfall and dead standing timber. Any fire up there is going to do serious damage to the small patch of high-elevation forests remaining. (burning in the ponderosa pines north and east of the mountain is not a big deal though--that's a fire-adapted ecosystem)

Going to get personal here: I've worked with a number of FS people, and they are not the best and brightest. They hire a lot of foresters, and those guys only know how to do 2 things: cut trees and burn stuff. To badly mix metaphors--when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like it needs burning.

BTW, if they're doing ignitions in the wilderness area, I'd bet that someone could convince a judge that they're violating the Wilderness Act. (A quick check around the web didn't turn up any cases along these lines, but USFS personnel have expressed concerns that they could be sued for this sort of thing.)
Agree. I think a lot of this fire management is a joke.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 15 2017 7:30 pm

About half the northern upper reaches of that mountain are just deadfall from a fire that looked to me to date back to perhaps 1990, I suspect that is what they are fire bombing, and not the small patch of spruce at the very top of the mountain that survived.
flagscott wrote:

http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 15 2017 7:35 pm

hikeaz wrote:The operations, in which incendiary devices are dropped from a helicopter to reduce dead and down fuels, began near the peak on Tuesday. The plan is to continue to use aerial ignition to bring fire slowly down the mountain.
Is that what an unsuspecting hiker would call "friendly fire"?

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 15 2017 7:56 pm

chums says it was a 2000 fire

https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=644054
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 15 2017 11:13 pm

Fire personnel aim to minimize loss of healthy, large ponderosa pine and conifer trees, while reducing residual debris left on the ground from the Pumpkin Fire of 2000. The low-intensity burn will help to set the ecosystem on a path in which fire can play its natural role. Surrounding communities benefit from a healthy forest landscape.
-inciweb
Profound observer

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Jun 19 2017 4:41 pm

According to a map I just saw, the Boundary Fire is now on top of the Kendrick summit, and likely where the cabin is and possibly even the lookout. Can anyone in Flag verify that?
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 19 2017 4:52 pm

Inciweb reports that the plan for the fire includes burning the top of the mountain to reduce fuels and protect the cabin and lookout structure.

Fire perimeter maps show all burned areas, including aerial ignitions and intentional burnout operations.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5209/35576/
Profound observer

flagscott

Post by flagscott » Jun 19 2017 4:55 pm

JasonCleghorn wrote:According to a map I just saw, the Boundary Fire is now on top of the Kendrick summit, and likely where the cabin is and possibly even the lookout. Can anyone in Flag verify that?
Unless they ignited that this afternoon, nope. We were on Humphreys today, and almost all of the fire activity was northeast of the mountain down in the flats. It looked like there was one small area burning on the side of the mountain.

flagscott

Post by flagscott » Jun 19 2017 4:57 pm

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if they're doing ignitions, cutting fireline, etc. in the wilderness area , they're probably violating the Wilderness Act. I wish someone could get in there to see what's going on.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 19 2017 5:22 pm

If anybody is interested in the policies that relate to fire management in wilderness areas, there is a wealth of good information on wilderness.net, including some excellent files that can be downloaded which specifically address USFS policy toward fire management in wilderness areas.

My conclusion is that only somebody with an advanced law degree and years of experience practicing wilderness law is qualified to make definitive statements regarding the legality of various fire management activities. From a layperson's perspective, it certainly seems to me that there is quite a bit of leeway in the law and previous legal rulings. But my education and professional experience isn't in the legal profession, so besides some cursory reading on the subject I'm gonna sit this one out.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fus ... s&sec=fire#
Profound observer

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Jun 19 2017 5:28 pm

chumley wrote:Inciweb reports that the plan for the fire includes burning the top of the mountain to reduce fuels and protect the cabin and lookout structure.

Fire perimeter maps show all burned areas, including aerial ignitions and intentional burnout operations.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5209/35576/
OK, after reading that, I feel better about what is happening (happened) etc. I just LOVED my time on Kendrick Peak SO much.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 19 2017 7:15 pm

flagscott wrote:if they're doing ignitions, cutting fireline, etc. in the wilderness area , they're probably violating the Wilderness Act. I wish someone could get in there to see what's going on.
There's no "if" about the ignitions. Inciweb hasn't been shy mentioning aerial ignitions. We saw a helicopter leaving the area on Saturday but its hard to say for sure if it was an aerial ignition or a bucket drop. I had originally jumped to the assumption of aerial ignition because I don't believe any of the inciweb updates by the time I got home Saturday had yet mentioned bucket drops.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jun 20 2017 4:01 pm

Highway 180 has reopened between Valle and Flagstaff after being closed for more than two weeks due to smoke from the Boundary Fire. The fire is burning northwest of Flagstaff and has torched over eight-thousand acres and is 18-percent contained (has been at 18% for 3-4 days) . The fire is being' guided' to clean the forest of underbrush and dead trees.
Just over 400 firefighters are working on the fire.
kurt

mt98dew
City, State: Phoenix,Az

Post by mt98dew » Jul 21 2017 9:18 pm

Does anyone know what the status is for the Kendrick area. And any thoughts on what the trail conditions might be like if the area is open. My knowledge of hiking in this area is limited.
thx

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Jul 22 2017 8:05 pm

According to the FS closure order, all trails are closed until July 30 (unless the order is rescinded earlier). If/when the area does re-open, I wouldn't expect good hiking conditions, as there were already large areas of recovering burn zone before the Boundary Fire. Probably more downed trees now, plus the monsoon may have caused erosion, trail damage, etc.

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”