Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
LARichardson73
City, State: Phoenix, AZ.

Questions Re: Route Scout

Post by LARichardson73 » Oct 09 2017 9:44 am

I have a couple of questions regarding Route Scout:

1) What is the actual limit on downloading off-line maps? I think I read that the limit was a 35 mile track. However, searching the forums, some have said that the limit has increased.

2) Is it possible to download a map for offline use, and then use it WITHOUT tracking? There is the begin activity button, which starts tracking automatically, and then there is the Preview button, which only stays open for a short period of time.

I'm asking this because I'm going to attempt the JMT next summer. I'd like to use Route Scout as my GPS. I'd like to download an entire JMT track, download the map around the entire track, and use it for navigation without tracking. Is this possible?

I love Route Scout. Paired with Route Editor, it makes a seriously powerful tool.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Questions Re: Route Scout

Post by joebartels » Oct 09 2017 9:59 am

@LARichardson73

1) current single route limits ( strictly talking about import into RS )
- 400 miles
- 12,000 points of data
- 25 tracks
Tracks over 35 miles are assumed driving and will not download map tiles when the route is set to FOLLOW.

2) There is no option to continuously view a map without tracking. The battery drain is 99% from having the GPS turned on. Recording takes very little power. Hence why you see solar calculators not solar Garmins.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LARichardson73

Post by LARichardson73 » Oct 09 2017 10:40 am

Thanks Joe. I think I get it.
joebartels wrote:Tracks over 35 miles are assumed driving and will not download map tiles when the route is set to FOLLOW.
So, you can import a 400 mile track into Route Scout. However, in order to view the map offline, you have to set it to "follow", and, if it is above 35 miles, it will not download the tiles for offline viewing. Is that right?
joebartels wrote:The battery drain is 99% from having the GPS turned on. Recording takes very little power.
That's really surprising to hear. I have definitely noticed a difference in battery drain when I use Gaia GPS and am recording vs. not recording. Is that because Gaia only powers up the GPS function intermittently if not recording ?

Anyway, that's too bad. Love me some Route Scout. I'll have to look into some other options. I haven't had good luck with Gaia GPS on Android. I don't really trust it. I have played with Backcountry Navigator a little, and, so far, it seems really solid. Or maybe I'll need to break out the 60csx. I think I'll still use Route Manager for pre-planning though.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 09 2017 11:05 am

LARichardson73 wrote:So, you can import a 400 mile track into Route Scout. However, in order to view the map offline, you have to set it to "follow", and, if it is above 35 miles, it will not download the tiles for offline viewing. Is that right?
Yes but understand...
joebartels wrote:- 400 miles
- 12,000 points of data
- 25 tracks
We are strictly talking about tracks over 35 miles, a route ( a collection of tracks & waypoints ) can be 400 miles.
Longer tracks can be broken down with Route Editor.
LARichardson73 wrote:That's really surprising to hear. I have definitely noticed a difference in battery drain when I use Gaia GPS and am recording vs. not recording. Is that because Gaia only powers up the GPS function intermittently if not recording?
They're possibly using an intermittent gps call or utilizing low accuracy which just triangulates from cell towers.
Since I'm only interested in day hiking the necessity for thru hikers never crossed my mind. It won't be anytime soon but I'll consider taking the timer off preview and going with an intermittent call.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LARichardson73

Post by LARichardson73 » Oct 09 2017 11:14 am

joebartels wrote:We are strictly talking about tracks over 35 miles, a route ( a collection of tracks & waypoints ) can be 400 miles.
Interesting. So, if an entire 210 mile track was split into 35 mile tracks, and these were part of a Route, then I would be able to download offline maps for the entire area?
joebartels wrote:or utilizing low accuracy which just triangulates from cell towers

I don't think that's the case, because I'm using it in airplane mode.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 09 2017 11:21 am

LARichardson73 wrote:Interesting. So, if an entire 210 mile track was split into 35 mile tracks, and these were part of a Route, then I would be able to download offline maps for the entire area?
yes!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LARichardson73

Post by LARichardson73 » Oct 09 2017 11:29 am

OK. Very good to know. I'm gonna check this out. Thanks again!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 09 2017 11:40 am

joebartels wrote:It won't be anytime soon but I'll consider taking the timer off preview and going with an intermittent call.
I just put this on the todo list and realized it can be intermittent screen off & continuous screen on.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LARichardson73

Post by LARichardson73 » Oct 10 2017 10:13 am

joebartels wrote:I just put this on the todo list and realized it can be intermittent screen off & continuous screen on.
Not sure what you mean. As a way to save battery?

Return to “HAZ Apps”