Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Lopez Canyon Trail, CA
Linked Areas none
ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Ticks in Arizona

Post by ddgrunning » May 19 2016 8:57 am

http://tucson.com/news/state-and-region ... 5fe11.html

I never thought twice about potential tick issues in Arizona ... I wonder if they are planning to release a more specific location than "mountain areas of southern Arizona."

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Ticks in Arizona

Post by flagscott » Jul 06 2017 7:02 am

So, there are predictions out there that this will be a bad year for Lyme Disease in the East: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/well ... -fear.html

But at this point there is no evidence that Lyme is hitting record levels: https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/0 ... .html?_r=0

Anyway, all of those articles only apply to the Eastern US, and mostly just the Northeast. So, if you are heading up there, take precautions (though you should do that no matter what sort of year they're projecting for ticks). I couldn't find any news related to Lyme in AZ.

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jul 06 2017 7:07 am

chulavista
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » Jul 06 2017 12:18 pm

I went on a camping trip several years back, in the area of Antelope Peak. Took my dog with me. In just a matter of hours, she was covered with ticks. This was a January trip, and we discovered the ground where we camped was literally CRAWLING with them. And as a kid, I also ranched with the locals in the area. We kept tick repellant on hand for the dogs, used the human version for ourselves. Also had to keep wipe on the horses to keep them out of the horses' ears. I remember them being a big issue.
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 06 2017 7:30 pm

flagscott wrote:So, there are predictions out there that this will be a bad year for Lyme Disease in the East
Yes, the ticks are out in force this year, much more than most. Mrs. big_load has gotten a lot more than I have. She she gets one or two every time she goes hits the trail, about twice a week.

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jul 06 2017 7:41 pm

The American Hiking Society offers these tick tips:
https://americanhiking...

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Jan 28 2018 7:25 am

Dragging this up from the dead. Also, steering it back to Arizona.

I hiked Woolsey yesterday and on the drive home I pulled at least 1, perhaps 2 ticks off of me from my neck. The first one I felt right after I got on I-10 and grabbed from my neck and flicked in my car thinking it was a fly or something. The other I was nearly home, and when I picked it off of me from near my ear, I was really surprised to have another insect on me, and so I turned on my cabin light and looked at. I was shocked to see it was a tick, the large dog tick kind. I didn't see or feel any others on me.

It has been near record dry for the last 5 months, Woolsey is neither lush nor green normally, and there aren't even cattle or other animals that I ever see out there, but I somehow contacted ticks doing that yesterday. Woolsey is also not exactly a popular hike with HAZ members, but ticks are out this January, and if they are here, they can be other places.
Last edited by Jim_H on Jan 28 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocks!!

TheMazzicMan

Post by TheMazzicMan » Jan 28 2018 7:46 am

Donovan Wood
Steward, Arizona Trail Passage 23c (Mazatzal Divide Tr, Barnhardt to Red Hills)

...he's got the Mazzic hands...

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Jan 28 2018 12:26 pm

One thing I've always wondered about our system's response to ticks is whether their is some sort of acquired resistance or repellent bodies can produce to repel ticks.

The reason I started to wonder about this is this little anecdote. When I was in Central America doing field work, the first few weeks I had multiple ticks every single day. After about a month this suddenly stopped, I would see ticks climbing on my clothes, but never attached.

Since that period in Central America I've never had another tick attached to my body. I've seen many crawling on my clothes but never attached.

Hence the question that seems unstudied about whether there might be an adaptive response to ticks after repeated exposures. Of course, it could be that I just got better at intercepting the ticks before they were able to attach.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 28 2018 1:13 pm

@Jim_H
I imagine you were pretty ticked off about this.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 28 2018 3:16 pm

rally_toad wrote:Of course, it could be that I just got better at intercepting the ticks before they were able to attach.
That can be quite a long interval, because most of them don't attach just anywhere. They can can spend a couple days working toward their ideal spots.

joebartels

Re: Ticks NEAR Arizona

Post by joebartels » Feb 14 2018 8:31 am

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Fauna”