The 2019!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

The 2019!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Post by Jim_H » Mar 24 2009 1:52 pm

How are things progressing this year? In keeping with the idea that you are only as good as the numbers you post, I'm up to 61,436' of elevation for the year and a modest 132 miles.
Last edited by Jim_H on Nov 08 2018 3:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Re: The 2019!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Post by Jim_H » Nov 08 2018 3:24 pm

First, I bumped the year up to next year since no one posted in 2018 since Liz, in January.

I've been looking at my stats a bit more lately as I approach 2 good sized milestones ( 3 million feet of AEG since starting to log on HAZ, and 200K for the year), and also having crossed another ( 8,000 miles since I began logging on HAZ). Today, I noticed that at least with regard to AEG, yearly totals are down quite a bit over prior years. Mileage appears to still be pretty high for some, but I don't pay as much attention to that figure.

If memory serves, AEG totals peaked out somewhere about 5 to 6 years ago. I'm not sure which year saw the greatest numbers of people with high numbers, but I guess I could look. It seemed like for a while there were people all over the place putting up 400K and 500k years. Over all totals will probably be down for the year, too. There was that 1 year with a reported total over 800,000'. We'll never really know if a gone member actually did what they say they did, but I think the 800,000' figure was as close to accurate and honest as could be. The other figure, well....

This year, I observe that only 3 people are over 300K feet, and they are all over 500k'. In fact, I would bet that Lee, current spot #4 holder will end up the only other member to cross 300,000'. I doubt most anyone else will suddenly come from behind to do so. I'm going to be happy to go over 200k.

The obvious answer to some, a certain Tucsonian perhaps, may be so what, who cares? Indeed, it isn't that important, but I wonder about such things as I stop along the Finger Rock trail to ponder life's mysteries. Are people hiking as much but logging less? Are they hiking less, period? Are they still hiking the events, but trimming the trainers? These, I wonder. Is it more that the instagramification of out society is leading to more selfies on summits, and less written logs? Perhaps, we'll never know.

Personally, I care, but I really try not to obsess over AEG any more. I do want to still get out and hike, and I do want to stay in shape. Mostly, I need to get out for more events. I think I have the training down.
Last edited by Jim_H on Nov 08 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Nov 08 2018 3:50 pm

@Jim_H
Exactly how long did you watch the grass blow?
I really need to invest more time reading the forum... sad but serious, just realized the thread is cyclical not cynical.
Keep an eye out for our good buddy Matt the mtn rat down in the ol' pueblo. Doubt he'd get lost in instagramification, hoping just busy or such.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Nov 08 2018 3:57 pm

Might take time for some to adjust, if ever too. The stats are accessed via User > Activity now.

Bonus tip
you can click on a plus icon on any date to start a triplog. Doesn't seem like much until you get in the habit of going that route. I just find it easier than the tiny popup calendar entering triplogs after the day has passed.

Just realized I'm 2nd in AEG :y:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Nov 08 2018 4:14 pm

@joebartels
about 10 minutes... I swear.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 08 2018 4:29 pm

joebartels wrote:just realized the thread is cyclical not cynical
My posts in this thread are both. But mostly the latter. It will take me a few more years for the former to prevail. But I'm committed to that goal, so stay tuned.
Highway to hell

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 08 2018 10:19 pm

Whenever this thread pops up, I regret not logging more of my hikes.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Nov 09 2018 6:23 am

@big_load
Then you haven't regretted not logging hikes since January 2nd! It all but died this year.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 09 2018 8:59 am

@Jim_H

Yeah, I probably had about 250 miles of unreported hikes this year, not counting fitness or routine hikes. Maybe 40,000 feet of AEG (again, not counting conditioning hikes, which would double it).

jladderud
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by jladderud » Nov 09 2018 11:34 am

Jim_H wrote:Are people hiking as much but logging less? Are they hiking less, period? Are they still hiking the events, but trimming the trainers? These, I wonder. Is it more that the instagramification of out society is leading to more selfies on summits, and less written logs? Perhaps, we'll never know.
In my case, I just don't care enough to get an accurate AEG. I use the GAIA GPS app on my phone to track my hikes. I can do the same hike as a buddy who's wearing a Garmin watch and and somehow end up hiking 500' less AEG than him/her. FWIW, I'm at about 150k of vertical by my calculations (which aren't reflected on this site). Hats off to anyone above 300k. I guess I have too many other interests competing for my time that prevent me from logging that kind of vert!

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Nov 09 2018 2:29 pm

I guess when you hike a long trail, such as the PCT, it's easy to lead the year's totals. Some time soon I'll have to log Washington. That will add another 500 some miles and I don't know how much AEG, maybe 70k? I've half heartedly looked for some GPX files for the three detours around fire closures. Not sure I want to join alltrails or whatever that is to get them. Now I'm looking for a job (probably should look harder :lol: ) so my 2019 totals should drop a lot.
Go find a LonelyCache

Hansenaz
Ancient Dwellapelli

Post by Hansenaz » Nov 09 2018 3:18 pm

@Jim_H
"In keeping with the idea that you are only as good as the numbers you post...". Jim you have self worth. You are more than your numbers. I'd go so far as to say you are a man of letters! :lol:

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Nov 09 2018 4:22 pm

@Hansenaz
At first I thought, "what is that?". Then I saw you responded to my original post from 2009.

I certainly no longer believe that if I ever did. I'd like to think we're all more than just numbers.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 10 2018 7:36 pm

Jim_H wrote:I'd like to think we're all more than just numbers.
I know that when the TAC talks about you it’s always just about 31493 🤷🏼‍♂️
Highway to hell

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Nov 11 2018 7:47 am

@chumley
What is this "TAC"?

markthurman53
Electric Liliaceae
City, State: Tucson, Arizona

Post by markthurman53 » Nov 11 2018 8:54 am

@Jim_H
Something you put stuff up with on the wall with, or something I have been accused of of not having enough of.

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli

Post by Pivo » Nov 11 2018 6:10 pm

Jim_H wrote: a certain Tucsonian
This Tucsonian spent his Summer in the Colorado mountains. There are plenty of opportunities to acquire AEG and mileage there. However, I was unable to do longer and more difficult hiking due to two things. My dog Joseph is 13 with a heart murmur, he decided after doing two 14er's he didn't want to do difficult hikes anymore at elevation.

That and smoke from the numerous fires in and near the Vail Valley were really bothersome to both Joseph's eyes and mine; not to mention exercising in those conditions isn't healthy. So we scaled back to moderate 5-7 mile hikes with 1000-1500' of AEG.

Additionally, I am getting old.

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by cw50must » Nov 12 2018 3:31 pm

My numbers are way down this year. Mostly just been doing in-town hikes and I tend not to log most of those.

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 04 2018 5:17 am

It's the beginning of December and I have just logged my final trip log of the year. Was diagnosed with full blown pneumonia yesterday and I can't do anything until I get my follow up chest X-ray the first week of January. Even then it appears that this has wiped out all my plans for desert peaks this winter and any trail running.

But overall pretty happy where I ended up, my highest mileage and AEG year since 2014. Plus got in 235 more miles in this year than last year.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Dec 04 2018 8:30 am

@SpiderLegs
sorry about the pneumonia. Hope you recover soon.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Hansenaz
Ancient Dwellapelli

Post by Hansenaz » Dec 04 2018 5:52 pm

I look at my numbers as often as I look at my weight (never). Judge it by the notches in my belt and how my knees feel. ;-)
Last edited by Hansenaz on Dec 04 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”