What belongs on a peak or overlook?

• Open to any hiking related topic
• Topic must be specific and merit a discussion
• Replies may take 1 minute to 16 hours to be approved
• Starting a similar non moderated topic while the moderated topic is live one month after last reply, will likely get you banned from the HAZ Forum

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

Which do you find acceptable or enjoy on a mountain summit

urn
1%
ashes
5%
bench
4%
mailbox
5%
car frame
No votes
painted rock
2%
knick knacks
1%
christmas tree
2%
summit register
36%
holiday ornaments
1%
out of sight geocache
14%
I'd pack out some of the above
9%
none of the above - absolutely nothing
13%
I'd move or chuck some of the above
6%

Total votes: 94

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What belongs on a peak or overlook?

Post by joebartels » Feb 11 2020 7:25 pm

Oh boy another moderated topic with zero chance for an agreeable logic solution :y:
Please Note: Ignore this Topic option near top of this page

When I started hiking I stumbled onto mankind's desire to leave a trace. Signature, date, basically everything except a dna strand and a self addressed stamped envelope to reply. Oh boy, proof and a little self tarzan fist to chest bump that I've been on Peak 1, Peak 2, etc.

Likewise stumbled upon opposition on the majority of controversial traits within years too. Least of which is probably signing a summit register. A chucked register off Brown's Peak got my attention because I found it traversing to Brown's Brother. Otherwise it probably would not have left a lasting impression. Moving litter? out of sight is okay...lol
Figure some want less people, some do not want "those kind of people", etc. Imagine there are more viewpoints than I'm aware.

My blood doesn't boil enough to get excited either way. Over the years I find if someone passes the summit register I might sign it. Other times I decline. Yet I'll look for the register if someone else is interested. If I soloed it might be a nice trace if tragedy knocked on the door soon after.

Knick knacks seem like total trash to me but I was dumbfounded by some that think it's cool.
- joe

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: What belongs on a peak or overlook?

Post by chumley » Feb 11 2020 7:51 pm

Whatever the land owner or management agency puts there or permits somebody else to put there.
Profound observer

Jim_H
City, State: Regulus

Post by Jim_H » Feb 11 2020 8:21 pm

I preferred Humphrey before the new sign came back. Registers are ok, but busy peaks might have them filled with trash.

I was just thinking that Camelback didn't have a Christmas tree on it this December, I think, when I was there. I was pleased.
If you're having trail problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but hiking ain't one.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 11 2020 8:57 pm

It's interesting. Elephant Head is a good example. Although it's interesting and somewhat funny, none of those "trinkets" are contained, so they can end up all over the place around there. If there's a Register, in an ammo box for example and someone leaves a ladybug in it at ladybug peak, I generally don't have a problem with it. A mailbox and a bench. Interesting, but I could do without. A Mailbox advertising someone's Instagram Account is just stupid and I hate it. It's just for personal attention and gain. It looks trashy and he literally bolted that thing in the rock. That's permanent damage in my book. People are actually liking what he did. But with that said, I know of some Decals that end up on Registers and on Outhouse Doors too. I put a business card in a register simply because I didn't have any paper. So I can't say I'm immune either. There used to be a Bench at the Weaver's Overlook, but it was taken out pretty fast. It's a very photogenic spot and who wants a damn bench in their Image?

Monuments and Plaques for lost loved ones. I'm sorry, but I don't really like those either. If you want to memorialize someone on a Peak, bury some ashes and plant a prickly pear or something native to the area.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 11 2020 9:24 pm

I'd prefer nothing. I can live with a discretely implemented summit register, but it's been a while since I signed one. Plaques, mailboxes, benches, etc., are too much.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Feb 12 2020 9:25 am

I tend towards limited impact and leave no trace. That being said, I don't see a big problem with an ammo can or jar for summit registers. I will attest to signing in quite a few over the years, since one of my main hiking interests is peak bagging, and I do most of them solo. I do enjoy reading through some of the logs on harder to reach summits such as Battleship. It is fun to find some of the folks that i have connected with here on HAZ. I would agree that some of the curios get to be a bit much, like old power bars and such that get left in them. As long as they are within the box I think it is OK, if things start to overflow then it just becomes trash in the wilderness which I think most can do without. Honestly, I am usually more excited to find a survey disk than a summit log though.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Feb 12 2020 10:42 am

A summit register is a way to share your experience with others and see who else was there and when.
Xmas stuff is okay for city summits that kids can do.
I probably depends on the summit on what's acceptable.
The mailbox on Picketpost was an attraction (kind of like the shoe tree), but a mailbox on additional peak would not be appealing. Self-closure: I was glad to see the mailbox go and disappointed to see it return. A telescope would have been better replacement.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 12 2020 10:46 am

The_Dude wrote:I am usually more excited to find a survey disk than a summit log though.
I feel the same way.
If a summit log was present, I'd log an entry, if not, so what, it wasn't why I was there in the first place. I got into peak-bagging as the impetus to hike to destinations I would otherwise have no reason to go, enjoying the scenery along the way, yup even if thick and/or thorny vegetation came as part of the deal.
CannondaleKid

no avatar
ShatteredArm

Post by ShatteredArm » Feb 13 2020 9:06 pm

gummo wrote:
Feb 12 2020 10:42 am
I kind of disagree with this. Not to be "the grinch" or anything, but not everybody wants to see litter on the summits, no matter how "festive" it is... And not everybody celebrates the same festivities. "Leave no trace", no matter how small the summit, or the time of year.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 14 2020 7:19 am

ShatteredArm wrote:"Leave no trace", no matter how small the summit, or the time of year.
On private land?
Obviously it's up to the land owner.
On public land?
I'm fine with nothing but benchmarks, reference marks and azimuths.
As far as I am aware, memorials, trinkets, crosses, mailboxes, etc., are not legal on Federal public lands. And further, anything like hunting blinds, tree stands, etc., which have been left more than ten days are considered abandoned and subject to removal, whether by Federal officials or by anyone, as in finders keepers. If I recall, AZ Game & Fish told me the same thing goes on State 'public' land as well.
(I jotted down the relevant Federal regulation some time back but can't seem find it now)
CannondaleKid

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Feb 14 2020 8:03 am

ShatteredArm wrote:
Feb 13 2020 9:06 pm
gummo wrote:
Feb 12 2020 10:42 am
I kind of disagree with this. Not to be "the grinch" or anything, but not everybody wants to see litter on the summits, no matter how "festive" it is... And not everybody celebrates the same festivities. "Leave no trace", no matter how small the summit, or the time of year.
Well someone's getting coal in his stocking this Xmas.

Just kidding. I prefer a summit without Xmas stuff myself, but if it makes some people happy a few weeks out of the year and gets kids and their parents outside and exercising together, then I'm good with it IMO. Xmas stuff to me is a Xmas tree with ornaments. Ornaments scattered randomly is trash.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 14 2020 9:11 am

I actually think the christmas stuff is the worst. A lot of people don't celebrate Christmas and to assume that everyone wants to be confronted with your religious holiday (especially on a hike) is absolutely ignorant.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 14 2020 9:34 am

Tough_Boots wrote:
Feb 14 2020 9:11 am
religious holiday
I truly admire your skill at stirring the pot. :y: But Christmas trees are not religious symbols. Just like this isn't offensive to non-Christians. :sweat:
Now let's get back to discussing the actual topic instead of what qualifies as a religious symbol.
Profound observer

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Feb 14 2020 10:20 am

Christmas is a public holiday, (recognized as a National holiday in the U.S.) celebrating the birth of a known historical figure. I believe it to be as much a secular holiday as it is a religious holiday to Christians.
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

survivordude
City, State: The Basin

Post by survivordude » Feb 14 2020 1:05 pm

Humans are everywhere but trash is trash.

2000 years from now, they will be artifacts people are looking for.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 14 2020 5:02 pm

Just a scuffed rock from a boot.
jk

no avatar
ShatteredArm

Post by ShatteredArm » Feb 14 2020 6:07 pm

gummo wrote:
Feb 14 2020 8:03 am
Xmas stuff to me is a Xmas tree with ornaments. Ornaments scattered randomly is trash.
The problem is an ornament on a tree, when confronted by the right amount of wind, becomes an ornament scattered randomly.

nonot

Post by nonot » Feb 15 2020 11:01 pm

Q:What belongs on a peak or overlook?

A:Great views.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Return to “Moderated Discussion”