Linked Guide  • Cuff Button Trail #276, AZ
Linked Area, etc none
00blackout
Triplogs Last: 10 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 24 | Last: 24 days ago
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Cuff Button Trail #276

Post by 00blackout »

Someone had mentioned to me this week that the TFS was going to decommission Cuff Button #276 and another trail in the area, which they did not name. I have a connection that usually has some good info on this type of stuff, but he was not aware. Has anyone else heard that this is coming? This is a cool area that I always enjoy hiking in, there hasn't been any maintenance out there in awhile that I know of, but it definitely needs some soon before nature reclaims it. In fact most of the eastern half trails need some serious work, however, from what I'm told TFS doesn't have a ton of people or volunteers to do any type of maintenance.
chumley
Guides: 84 | Official Routes: 200
Triplogs Last: 19 days ago | RS: 40
Water Reports 1Y: 10 | Last: 25 days ago
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Cuff Button Trail #276

Post by chumley »

I have no information to contribute but recent trends point to TNF spending all of its resources in the Salt River corridor where it essentially serves as an urban recreation area. It would not surprise me to see lesser used trails in the Tonto (especially those on the Mesa Ranger District) largely ignored.
two scoops!
nonot
Guides: 103 | Official Routes: 109
Triplogs Last: 4 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 51 | Last: 3 days ago
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

I have no definite info, but to add to Chumley's point.

I imagine that the TNF will probably use the recent fire as the excuse to decommission many of the remaining trails in the East Superstitions or portions of them - West Pinto (central portion), Spencer Spring, Cuff Button, maybe portions of Campaign. Not that the declaration of decommissioning makes much difference as I have seen nothing to indicate that TNF has done trail maintenance east of the Dutchman trail in the past 15 years. The area has primarily relied upon volunteer trail work (including the AZT and HAZ) to keep the trails in shape as far as I am aware.

Rock Creek, Pinto Peak, Brushy Springs, and Willow Springs were all trails decommissioned decades ago. To some extent they all still survive, some more than others.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 183 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,409 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

nonot wrote: Sep 14 2022 7:19 pm I have no definite info, but to add to Chumley's point.

I imagine that the TNF will probably use the recent fire as the excuse to decommission many of the remaining trails in the East Superstitions or portions of them - West Pinto (central portion), Spencer Spring, Cuff Button, maybe portions of Campaign. Not that the declaration of decommissioning makes much difference as I have seen nothing to indicate that TNF has done trail maintenance east of the Dutchman trail in the past 15 years. The area has primarily relied upon volunteer trail work (including the AZT and HAZ) to keep the trails in shape as far as I am aware.

Rock Creek, Pinto Peak, Brushy Springs, and Willow Springs were all trails decommissioned decades ago. To some extent they all still survive, some more than others.
You may well be right, but it's a shame. I've enjoyed plenty of good backpacking in that part of the Supes. I haven't done much of Cuff Button, which I've long hoped to get back to eventually. A rider once told me some of what he's seen and found along there, which made it seem worthwhile.

Return to “Trail Chat”