Need most recent info on Hackberry Springs Trail and Water

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Hackberry Spring Loop, AZ
Linked Areas none
Winnie Y Chin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Need most recent info on Hackberry Springs Trail and Water

Post by Winnie Y Chin » Jan 30 2006 10:56 am

Does anyone know the latest condition of the Hackberry Springs trail and is there any water there? I'm trying to get info ready asap for a group hike this coming weekend...

Thanks,
winychin

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 30 2006 11:14 am

hi winnie

If nobody replies soon you might consider sendind a PM to llwolff or Silver Fox as they're triplogs indicate they've been there recently.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

AZHikr4444
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Hackberry Spring

Post by AZHikr4444 » Jan 30 2006 11:59 am

Looks like Brittany was just there this weekend coming in from GV. Might check her triplog under Garden Valley.
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 30 2006 12:15 pm

Brittany wrote:there was actually water, but it had been stagnant for so long it smelled
:sk:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
llwolff
City, State: forest lake, mn

Post by llwolff » Jan 30 2006 1:21 pm

There was a small amount coming out of the pipe when we were there. You could collect it - one other group was doing just that when we were there.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Jan 30 2006 3:00 pm

I was there last weekend and there was as much water there as there ever is. The pipe that was mentioned comes out of a pool wich collects from the same source. Hackberry is one of the only springs that reliably has water all year long in the northern supes. As such it is the primary watering hole for a lot of wildlife; tread lightly! The water from the pipe is drinkable without filtering or treating (although I still filter or treat it) and the water from the pool should be treated no matter what. The "stagnant" smell comes from the fact that there is water there all year long, the only water that is lost from the spring is lost through evaporation, there is virtually no runnoff. In any event, the water conditions there are as good as can be expected.

When I was there last someone had put up a bunch of reflectors on the canyon walls (like the ones you might have on your bike). They were glued to the rock with what looked like liquid nails. There were about five of them. I can't imagine why someone would put them up...
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 30 2006 8:03 pm

Quite a popular place, one of my favorites for nighthiking. Not much flow right now though.
jk

Winnie Y Chin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by Winnie Y Chin » Jan 31 2006 8:34 am

Hmmm...stagnant smelly water. Sounds great for a bunch of dogs instead of people. Oh well, I guess this one is probably better for a later date after a boatload of rain.

Thanks to all for your input,

winnie

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 31 2006 7:03 pm

Yes, Winnie there is water there but it is not worth the risk.

This spring is visited almost every day by animals and questionable two legged ceatures as well. The Hackberry Springs area is very abused and can harbor lots of bad stuff you just don't want inside of you.

If you have to use it boil it or at least filter it.

Return to “Water Availability”