Socks and Sandals

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

Is it acceptable to wear socks with sandals?

No...it is never acceptable.
56%
Tevas (or similar) with white socks is acceptable
7%
Tevas (or similar) with darker wool-like hiking socks is acceptable
9%
Birks (or similar) with darker wool-like hiking socks is acceptable
5%
Tevas & Birks with white socks is fine
8%
Tevas & Birks with darker wool-like hiking socks is fine
15%

Total votes: 137

ck_1
The OUTSIDE guy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Socks and Sandals

Post by ck_1 » Apr 23 2002 10:30 pm

I spent Saturday at the Phoenix Bouldering Competition out near Oak Flat Campground north of Superior...I noticed several people, both men and women wearing socks with their sandals...now, I remember my neighbor Mr. Jansen wearing his brown dress socks with leather sandals on the weekends...and as AZ residents, I'm sure we've all seen a snowbird or two with this same combination...but, is it ok?

Tevas with white socks?
Tevas with darker 'hiking' socks?
Birks with white socks?
Birks with darker 'hiking' socks?

I learned recently that Thorlo makes a 'sandal sock'....

So....what's public opinion...is this look acceptable?
'The Journey is the Destination!'

Randy
Shalako Anciano
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

socks

Post by Randy » Apr 23 2002 11:35 pm

Of course Colin, as long as they tastefully match the rest of your ensemble. Basic black for evening apres' hike wear. :wink: -R

Snick33
Mt Peeley Advisor

Socks

Post by Snick33 » Apr 25 2002 2:56 pm

It was 1962 and I was 15 years old. I had on a pair of pants that were so tight that they laced up at the bottom. I had on a white dinner jacket, a black shirt, and a tie so narrow that it barely covered my shirt buttons. I had on a brand new pair of black pointy shoes, and of course, white socks.

My sister Judy stopped me on my way out of the door and she and I discussed fashion for 30 minutes. Ever since that discussion I've been careful about wearing white socks with anything other than tennis shoes. Judy wasn't able to do much about the amount of Brellcream I used until a few years later.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

no avatar
blskywtwtr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by blskywtwtr » Jul 11 2006 1:12 pm

I'd say it has nothing to do with the footwear, specifically. 1/4 socks or no socks when wearing shorts; white socks are marginally acceptable with jeans, appropriately colored socks with all else.

Of course if you have on one of those polyester one piece Gomer Home pastel-colored "Sun City Onesies" shorts, then you're free to wear whatever socks you like. Chances are good I won't see you at any of the trailheads I visit.

Teetsb7
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Teetsb7 » Jul 14 2006 1:43 am

I have never hiked in sandals. But I can only amagin it would be more comfortable than with out???????????

As a kid growing up on the beach you would not be caught dead w/ the socks and sandal (flip flop) comb.

White socks w/ shorts but ya gotta push them down. Pulled up socks look to touristy to me.

As for colored socks I don't own any. Guess that says alot (or little) about my wardrobe.
No problem can with stand the on slot of sustained thinking

potor
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by potor » Jul 14 2006 11:51 am

Wearing white after labor day…who cares.
Mixing silver and gold jewelry…So what.

There are only 2 iron clad, unbreakable, absolute fashion no-nos:

1) Black socks with shorts
2) Socks with sandals.

Way back when I was in High School we used to have “Nerd Day” where all the seniors would dress up as nerds. The second most used costume element (after taped glasses) was one of the two abominations listed above.

And hiking in sandals sounds risky to me. I’d think you’d need to wrap your entire foot in moleskin at the trailhead.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 14 2006 1:02 pm

potor wrote: And hiking in sandals sounds risky to me. I’d think you’d need to wrap your entire foot in moleskin at the trailhead.
Well, that's where the socks come in. I don't mind people laughing at me if it keeps my feet from becoming a bloody mess. But for the most part sandals and hiking don't mix for me. I did it once, long ago, because I hiked 20 miles in poorly fitting boots one day. I wasn't going to miss the next day just because my feet were wrecked, so I picked something that would let me walk and wreck my feet in new places. So I finally learned that a boot that feels almost right is still wrong.

kylemorgan
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Raleigh, NC

Post by kylemorgan » Jul 14 2006 1:07 pm

I have this to say. Call it sexist, call it what you will, but men, it is our God given right, our duty, rather, to wear whatever we feel like regardless of what it looks like. This rule applies as long as you are not going out on a date. Do I were socks w/ sandals? No. Do I wear colored socks w/ shorts? Sometimes. But, when we go out to dinner or something, I run it by my wife first. She's the one who has to look at me.

As for the sandals hiking, if it is a flat hike w/ creek crossings, sure.

Back in Washington there was this guy who would climb Mt. Pilchuck in flip-flop Birkenstocks.
"Efficiency is for robots....be effective." Mike Rowe

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 14 2006 5:34 pm

Aside from extremely hot sand I've never had an issue with hiking in teva sandals. I only wear socks when it's freezing cold. Even then they usually come off after an hour into the hike once I've warmed up. Boots and socks just slow me down.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Jul 14 2006 8:12 pm

joe bartels wrote:Aside from extremely hot sand I've never had an issue with hiking in teva sandals.
Tevas are the worst for me. The little plastic triangle that joins the straps eats the flesh right off my feet. Not right away, of course. I would be smart enough not to wear them in that case. No, the hot spot doesn't start developing until I've gone to far to turn back and switch into proper shoes.

Extremely hot sand is pretty bad, too.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 14 2006 8:20 pm

Is/was the triangle on yours coated with neoprene?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Jul 14 2006 8:50 pm

joe bartels wrote:Is/was the triangle on yours coated with neoprene?
Nope. I bet that would help at least a bit.

wetbeaverlover
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Rimrock Az

Post by wetbeaverlover » Jul 15 2006 9:19 am

This is AZ, where half of the residents, Sun City et al, wear plaid, polyester, high water pants that are pulled up past their belly button and nobody laughs at them. In that light, if it's commentary on fashion, I think that sock and sandal clad hikers should be strutting down the catwalks in Paris. The cool thing is that it's a free country, at least today anyway. If you want to go hiking in a tutu and ballerina slippers, God bless ya :)
Dan

mttgilbert
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Jul 15 2006 11:03 am

big_load wrote:
joe bartels wrote:Is/was the triangle on yours coated with neoprene?
Nope. I bet that would help at least a bit.

I don't know if you've tried them before but Chacos (sorry Joe) are a pretty good alternative to Tevas. I've tried them both and liked different things about them, but I usually don't wear sandals for hiking (unless it's an impromptu hike) I prefer a light trail-hiking/running shoe.
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

Abe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Abe » Jul 15 2006 3:50 pm

I wear Teva's. No socks. I do have a problem with those who wear socks with sandals. Unnatural.

My wife don't pick my outfits, she just knows when we go out, in the summer it's shorts and Teva's with a nice polo shirt. And in the winter it's poor man Rustler Jeans, Hi Tec's, and a nice long sleeve shirts. Hats do vary depending on occasion.

And my suits I save for those super special occasions.
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Jul 15 2006 4:12 pm

matt gilbert wrote:
I don't know if you've tried them before but Chacos (sorry Joe) are a pretty good alternative to Tevas. I've tried them both and liked different things about them, but I usually don't wear sandals for hiking (unless it's an impromptu hike) I prefer a light trail-hiking/running shoe.
Yeah, Chacos look a lot more comfortable to me. However, I'm pretty much off sandals altogether, since they dont work well with orthotics. I still might try attaching a pad some day to replicate my 1/4" heel lift on one side.

I pretty much exclusively use high-top trail runners these days. One thing I've learned in my years of hiking is that clunking toes or ankles on rocks exercises the wrong part of my vocabulary. A little protection is nice. Now that I go a bit lighter, real boots are more protection than I need.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 15 2006 8:21 pm

big_load wrote:I'm pretty much off sandals altogether, since they dont work well with orthotics.
What would my drill sergeant have to say about sandals and orthotics. I can hear it now. :o :lol: Out of respect, I submit for your consideration:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081172 ... e&n=283155

OK LADIES Let's get back on topic. Sandals??Where are we hiking? I can't hear you!
http://www.quanticoboot.com/usmc_questions.asp :lol: :lol:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Jul 15 2006 9:25 pm

In response to al1inaz's reply:

I've seen the guys running at Quantico in 95 F, 90+ humidity, and full gear. All I can say is that's just plain nuts! I also noticed that they wear the same stuff I do when they're running off duty. I couldn't tell about the orthotics, though :wink: . However, I would guess there's more than couple geezers like me using any technological aide available. But sandals? Not hardly. :lol:

[But in no way, shape, or form am I going to make fun of Abe's sandals. I've seen pictures of that stick he carries]

Abe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Abe » Jul 16 2006 6:21 am

big_load wrote:[But in no way, shape, or form am I going to make fun of Abe's sandals. I've seen pictures of that stick he carries]
:oops: Ah man, I'm into peace, love, and Bob Dylan. 8)

But when it is all said and done, what matters is what is comfortable, functional, and partical for the individual. I love my Teva's and though I do not do long hikes/backpacking in 'em, a pair is strapped on the back of my pack for use in and around the campsite.

And it is a giving during the summer they are my primary foot wear. After all, at work, they do consider me a tree hugging, bleeding heart, NPR loving, liberal. I have an image to maintain. \:D/
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jul 17 2006 7:08 am

Abe wrote:I love my Teva's and though I do not do long hikes/backpacking in 'em, a pair is strapped on the back of my pack for use in and around the campsite.

I agree with Abe. My girlfriend's feet got DESTROYED by her Chacos yesterday at Fossil Creek. :( Had I known before we got there that she brought sandals, I would have suggested boots or shoes. Now our trip up Humphrey's Peak is in jeopardy, because her feet will probably not be healed in time.

I think that sandals are worthless as hiking shoes. I've seen to many people hurt their feet in sandals. I know some of you can hike all day long in sandals...I don't know how you do it.

To answer the original question of this forum, socks and sandals looks completely stupid.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”