Camera, Lens, Video & Software

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

SLR camera going down the Colorad River

Post by JimmyLyding » Mar 26 2007 8:50 pm

I am rafting down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon in July, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for safely taking a SLR camera along. The problems are that the camera may fall overboard (even though I don't plan to have it out when I'm on the boat), or that it will be soaked while we're going through a rapids. Anyone have any ideas?
-Jim

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 26 2007 9:04 pm

Drysack inside an ammo can should keep it safe and dry.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Mar 26 2007 9:12 pm

If you want serious protection many cameras have an aftermarket dive case. Unfortunately they generally cost more then the camera themselves. With the yearly advancements in technology it's hard to throw down.

Or get a good warranty and get that sucker outta water fast. I've had pretty good results thus far :D
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Mar 26 2007 10:07 pm

They are kinda pricy, but you could try a case like this: http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1450

It's totally worth it if you have a nice camera. I'm thinking about investing in one of these.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Mar 27 2007 9:58 am

Hoffmaster wrote:
It's totally worth it if you have a nice camera. I'm thinking about investing in one of these.
After 3 trips down the Big Ditch, I agree, Pelican case.
If you are on a budget, you could cut some foam and use a WELL TESTED 50 cal ammo can.
kurt

Hakatai
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Hakatai » Mar 29 2007 11:21 am

Pelican Case is definitely the #1 option. All of the others will work too. I used to be a guide down there and I can assure you you will have the camera out while you are on the water. There is a ton of flat water that provides time for photography. Its own padded case in an ammo can should suffice as well. Have fun.

JimmyLyding

Thanks everyone

Post by JimmyLyding » Mar 29 2007 4:55 pm

I plan on having my 4 MP point-and-shoot out when I'm on the boat, but I'll also have access to my ammo can on the boat. I like the Pelican case, but the problem is that I think I'd have to throw it in my main drysack, and I want easy access to it when we stop the boat for a hike.
I'm leaning towards putting it in my hiking drysack inside my ammo can, and hope that it doesn't get tossed around (it shouldn't) too much.
Thanks again, everyone!

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Re: Thanks everyone

Post by Hoffmaster » Mar 29 2007 6:57 pm

In response to JamesLyding's reply:
A Pelican Case is waterproof dude! You shouldn't need to put it in a dry bag; unless that's some kind of rule that the outfitter has or something.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

JimmyLyding

re: Pelican case

Post by JimmyLyding » Mar 29 2007 7:12 pm

The Pelican case looks like the safest way to go, but I'm not sure I'll have access to it except when we're getting off of the boat in the late afternoon. I did this trip in 2004, and all of the non-ammo box-gear is stored pretty tight. I'll check with the outfitter (CRATE: highly recommended) & see.

Return to “Photography”