Camera, Lens, Video & Software

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
davidanthonyporter
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Digital SLR Chest Strap?

Post by davidanthonyporter » Jan 13 2008 1:45 pm

Has anyone ever seen a "chest strap" for an SLR? I do not like my SLR bouncing around my neck when I am hiking. I also don't really care to be hauling it in and out of my pack. For some situations I would love to have a strap that would hold it close to my chest (not bouncing around) when I am hiking thus making it readily available when I want it.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Digital SLR Chest Strap?

Post by joebartels » Jan 13 2008 2:48 pm

I used the following setups for a couple years. However, it puts extensive wear on the lens so never do it without a homerun warranty in hand.

There's an extended lens setup which is very quick access and relieves most of the burning weight.
The wide angle setup isn't as quick of access but is the setup I used most.
They do work in harmony if you have two cameras. I've used the setup most everywhere. Does get a little cumbersome negotiating Four Peaks type of scrambles.

Personally I think a professional cam caddy is the way to go, wouldn't that be nice. A month ago I gave in and went the point and shoot route. Honestly, no regrets, much more enjoyable!
Attachments
macro.jpg
Extended Barrel Setup
wide.jpg
Wide Angle Lens Setup (no it's not a wide lens in the photo)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 13 2008 3:16 pm

davidanthonyporter wrote:Has anyone ever seen a "chest strap" for an SLR? I do not like my SLR bouncing around my neck when I am hiking. I also don't really care to be hauling it in and out of my pack. For some situations I would love to have a strap that would hold it close to my chest (not bouncing around) when I am hiking thus making it readily available when I want it.
Look in the Optics Departments at Cabela's or Sportsmans Wearhouse for Binocular Straps. Hunters use these to keep their highpowered binoculars at the ready. Take your camera in and try it before you buy it. I found it bounced too much for the hiking I do.

My next attempt involved a Tamrac digital top-loading case attached to the sternum strap on my pack. I found it made my chest too hot in summer hiking. My next solution was to put that same Tamrac case on my Riggers Belt (holster belt) that I wear with my smaller daypacks that don't have hip belts. In the summer I can't carry sufficient water and a tripod with these smaller daypacks. For non-hiking events & indoor events I love my Lowepro Slingbag. So with the Slingbag as my inspiration and lunacy as the mother of invention, I figured out a two carabiner system to attach my Tamrac toploader to my Osprey packs. I can unclip, unzip and whip it out real fast. :D It's the best solution I've come up with so far. I would give it a B+ on level & uphill terrain. I give it a C- on really tough descents (like Flatiron). It tends to swing forward so I normally just put it in my pack for these. I do have to take my pack off to use the tripod. But tripod shots normally are set up shots anyway.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Jan 13 2008 9:50 pm

davidanthonyporter wrote:Has anyone ever seen a "chest strap" for an SLR? I do not like my SLR bouncing around my neck when I am hiking. I also don't really care to be hauling it in and out of my pack. For some situations I would love to have a strap that would hold it close to my chest (not bouncing around) when I am hiking thus making it readily available when I want it.
I use a small Lowepro Rezo TLZ 10 camera case from Ritz Camera for my SLR. It attaches to my waist belt, it's very convenient to use, and doesn't get in my way while hiking. One clip keeps it closed.
Using a camera case of some sort is a good idea. Having your camera out while hiking exposes it to dust and sweat. Plus there is nothing to protect the camera should you happen to fall.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jan 13 2008 10:45 pm

Maybe this is what you are looking for?
STABILIZER STRAP™

I've never used one, but I've thought about it. Generally, the hiking I do requires my camera be in the bag so that it is well padded.
Attachments
medium_XEP-qcoeEe.jpg
medium_XEP-qcoeEe.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

davidanthonyporter

Post by davidanthonyporter » Jan 15 2008 9:26 am

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. It looks like a common problem. For non-hiking situations, I too use the Lowepro's sling pack...which I love. I will check out some of your recommendations and continue my quest for a comfortable and convenient way to carry around my DSLR.

I really do appreciate all your tips!

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 23 2008 9:35 pm

My hiking buddy gave me a suggestion and some lightweight elastic cord to create a 3-point attachment to my pack. :idea: It should solve the little problem with the swinging and raise this to an A solution. I'll just have to figure out what length of cord to solve the problem while still allowing me to swing the case forward when I need the camera.

Off on an ADD tangent - This is an interesting smiley. :PMIC: I prefer to be put in FIRST CLASS instead of Coach. :sl:
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

davidanthonyporter

Post by davidanthonyporter » Jan 24 2008 11:17 am

Al,

Interesting...let me know how it comes out. :thanx:

jdsteele

Post by jdsteele » Jan 29 2008 4:52 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:So with the Slingbag as my inspiration and lunacy as the mother of invention, I figured out a two carabiner system to attach my Tamrac toploader to my Osprey packs. I can unclip, unzip and whip it out real fast. :D It's the best solution I've come up with so far.
I don't suppose you could post a pic of this rig? What kind of body/lens are you using (how much does your gear weigh?) I love my Slingbag and I adore my Osprey... too bad they couldn't collaborate!!

davidanthonyporter

Post by davidanthonyporter » Jan 30 2008 9:22 am

I just recently purchased the CamelBak Alpine Explorer. I did this primarily because I needed a bigger day pack so that I could add more weight to my pack for exercise/training reasons. This pack has a "middle" storage area that is primarily mesh and makes my Digital SLR far more accessible. My wife can have the camera in my hands in seconds where before she was opening zippers and digging around in my pack.

I think for now I will use this solution as it also offers protection from dust and the elements as well. I also don't think that, in hindsight, I would want to hike with my camera permanently on my chest. On the other hand, I am sure that I would take many more photographs if the camera was more readily available to me. My wife is generally traipsing along the trail a ways in front of me and I always get a special "look" when I ask her to take the camera out of my pack. :D

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 03 2008 10:09 pm

jdsteele wrote:
Al_HikesAZ wrote: What kind of body/lens are you using (how much does your gear weigh?) I love my Slingbag and I adore my Osprey... too bad they couldn't collaborate!!
I carry the Pentax K10d because it is the least expensive weather resistant dSLR (at this time :) ) and it has Image Stabilization built into the camera so the lenses aren't as expensive. I had never weighed it. In my mind it weighed the same as a liter of water. I was wrong :o My camera and bag weighs 4.5lbs. My tripod weighs 4.5lbs and the 300mm lens I carry weighs 1lb. That's 5 liters of water :sweat: :scared: That's a lot of weight for an old man like me. :wlift: I might as well upgrade to a Hasselblad Medium Format and learn to take halfway decent photos. :doh:

I know I should take of a photo of my gear, but it seems like such a boring photo. Anybody know a hot young female model to wear my pack for this photo? :twisted:

jdsteele

Post by jdsteele » Feb 11 2008 5:10 pm

Next time out I'll probably just clip my toploader to the back of the Osprey bag. I'll still have to take the pack off, or get my girlfriend to pull out the camera for me every time I see another beautiful shot that I'll inevitably screw up. When I suggested this setup to my GF, she said "well, maybe you should just clip your camera to my pack so it will be easier to get at?" She's offering to be my sherpa... do I take the offer?!? :-k It's a trick, isn't it?

Return to “Photography”