Fishing and hiking

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
domromer
City, State: Flagstaff

Fishing and hiking

Post by domromer » Mar 03 2006 9:33 pm

Whats a good hike that's pretty easy that includes both fishing and hiking? Somewhere north of the valley. Close to Flag if possible

Shi
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Shi » Mar 04 2006 12:26 am

You might want to try Chevlon Canyon (near Payson area). It's an easy hike in with good fishing! Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

Shi
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Shi » Mar 04 2006 8:29 am

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

Pythor Sen
City, State: Apache Junction

Re: Fishing and hiking

Post by Pythor Sen » Feb 01 2008 9:25 pm

My fiancee and I were thinking of honeymooning in the area between Knoll Lake and Willow Springs. Does anyone know if it's feasible to do some hiking, fishing, and camping in the area? Are the lakes accessible by truck in March? How long does FR300 stay closed? That seems to be the artery to the area. I read on the Apache-Sitgreaves website that you can get to them by snowmobile or more primitive means, but...we hadn't planned on doing that. Would rather not, actually. How long are the lakes iced up? I'm not really into ice fishing at this point.

Thanks.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 02 2008 9:43 am

March? Yikes. Can't make that call until March comes. So far this winter has been just about the snowiest we've had since I moved up here in '99. I'm usually still cross country skiing in March. And if you are tent camping, it is going to be cold at night until late May, snow or no snow. Maybe you are used to that, that's fine and dandy, but I don't want you to get the wrong idea. We car camped at Carnero Lake (near Green's Peak in the Springerville Ranger District--site of the '98 Rainbow Festival) one Mother's Day weekend. Nice little lake, had it all to ourselves, but dang, it was cold at night! I had two sleeping bags, plus blankets, and it was still cold! Probably 10 or 15 degrees. During the day, though, I was wearing shorts and sandals.

I'd go out to the Colorado River in western AZ if I wanted to fish in March. It's nice and warm out there!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Feb 03 2008 10:45 am

Pythor Sen wrote:My fiancee and I were thinking of honeymooning in the area between Knoll Lake and Willow Springs. Does anyone know if it's feasible to do some hiking, fishing, and camping in the area? Are the lakes accessible by truck in March? How long does FR300 stay closed? That seems to be the artery to the area. I read on the Apache-Sitgreaves website that you can get to them by snowmobile or more primitive means, but...we hadn't planned on doing that. Would rather not, actually. How long are the lakes iced up? I'm not really into ice fishing at this point.

Thanks.
Forest road 300 can be closed until April or May this last year we took a hike up there that leads from the road at Willow Springs on the last weekend in March and it was still closed. There was so much water around that area that there were lots of miny lakes all over the area and people were trying to go around the closed road sign. The were getting stuck in the mud. I wouldn't expect it to be open until at the earliest in April with the way the rain and snow have been coming this winter.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 04 2008 11:42 am

West Clear Creek is nice in March. Depending on the weather in the week before you go, the water may be brown from spring runoff.

Because it's an out-and-back, it can be as easy or difficult as you like. While the grade is almost flat, the hike out is upstream, so the return is a gentle downhill.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=146

Also, the plateau lakes will all be full this spring due to the good snowpack this year. (As I write this today, the remote snow sensors are reporting snow depths in the 4 FEET range right now!) Good fishing will be found at Ashurst, Kinnickinick, Upper and Lower Mary, and even Stoneman and Mormon Lakes! (which are often dry). Many of these lakes are stocked with fish, but possibly not as early in the season as March. Google "AZGFD Weekly Fishing Report" for all the information you'll need. There are not an abundance of established hiking trails near the plateau lakes, but there are lots of roads, and much of the area is wide-open prairie which can make for some spectacular scenic "wandering."
Highway to hell

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 04 2008 4:14 pm

chumley wrote:Good fishing will be found at Ashurst, Kinnickinick, Upper and Lower Mary, and even Stoneman and Mormon Lakes! (which are often dry).
I can't wait to hit these again! Particularly Ashurst and Upper Lake Mary. My favorite thing to do is to put a whole anchovie on a 2/0 hook, and cast it out as far as possible. Wait a couple of minutes and then hang on! The Narrows at Upper Lake Mary is the best place to catch big pike using this technique. At Ashurst, rainbow trout colored spinners will land you pike and trout. They will both hit rainbow Powerbait as well (yes, even the pike!). I eat good every time I go up there!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Return to “Fishing”