Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

In Support of Sandals...

Post by imike » Jan 28 2010 11:19 am

Barefoot Running... new research might support the benefits of going lighter on your feet. Specific to running, I think it applies nicely to trail hiking/running. I find the less shoe, the better the foot placement.

http://www.usnews.com/science/articles/ ... force.html

Time will tell...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: In Support of Sandals...

Post by joebartels » Jan 28 2010 11:37 am

The team found that the ankles of these barefoot U.S. runners are more flexible than those of the heel-striking shoe wearers. That flexibility may be protective against stress injuries common in running.
http://hikearizona.com/article.php?ID=12
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli

Post by imike » Jan 28 2010 12:07 pm

joe bartels wrote:
The team found that the ankles of these barefoot U.S. runners are more flexible than those of the heel-striking shoe wearers. That flexibility may be protective against stress injuries common in running.
http://hikearizona.com/article.php?ID=12
... regarding the knee issue, I don't find that it relates to shoes, but more to proper training. I've stressed my knees to some extreme levels, not only in gross elevation gain and loss, but with weight augmentations up to 100 pounds on 1000' per mile courses... I have not worn boots for over 30 years. Running shoes or sandals handle the loads and trails nicely...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 28 2010 12:36 pm

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com

'nuff said ;)

and here's the socks to go with 'em, if needed. http://www.injinjistore.com/
regardless, these socks help prevent blisters in any shoe.
:D

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jan 28 2010 1:15 pm

I plan to try those out someday
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli

Post by imike » Jan 28 2010 1:31 pm

te-wa wrote:http://www.vibramfivefingers.com

'nuff said ;)

and here's the socks to go with 'em, if needed. http://www.injinjistore.com/
regardless, these socks help prevent blisters in any shoe.
Geez... I already get weird receptions out on the trails... wearing those... kind of asking for bizarre responses! Still, probably worth a try...

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 28 2010 3:16 pm

you have to "ease" into them, both physically and mentally. I tried using them as my sole footwear in Aravaipa from the west end, to Horse Camp and Im tellin ya... i would never do that 14 miles again. They do feel great around camp tho after hiking 12 miles. I have the "sprint" model.
:D

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 28 2010 5:28 pm

I love sandals! Love Tevas, but will probably try Chacos sometime. Can't do barefoot. I can hike pretty well in them, but usually I do prefer light hiking shoes or boots.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 28 2010 5:45 pm

I've hiked quite a bit along the Colorado River in my Keen Sandals. Next time I'll use my Chacos.

The Tarahumara run forever in their Huaraches. Here is some DIY info
http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches/
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Nov 30 2018 6:33 pm

I forgot my altras a few weeks ago and did Piestewa in a pair of my luna sandals. I find I like it now and may do Bighorn in them, tomorrow. I rather like the idea of transitioning to sandals for my hikes if I can do it. Just imagine how beat up my feet will look! I love it.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Nov 30 2018 7:50 pm

Jim_H wrote: Just imagine how beat up my feet will look! I love it.
I have to disagree. I pamper my feet with triweekly pedicures, and Birkenstock Sport Footbeds. Because I hike, my feet are not token badges of honor. What you're suggesting is foolishness.
Litmus test for what you are suggesting, would be the USMC issuing sandals to Marines (USMC are badass, however they're too smart for that), to my knowledge, they don't

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 30 2018 8:06 pm

Jim_H wrote: Just imagine how beat up my feet will look!
I hiked wearing Teva sandals for 8+ years and absolutely loved them, and especially the 'cool' dirt/tan lines when I took them off.

But once I really got into off-trail hiking it only took a few times getting stuck by various thorny plants before I transitioned back to boots. Now I just pick the thorns out of the soles of my boots after each off-trail hike.
CannondaleKid

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 30 2018 8:54 pm

Pivo wrote:Litmus test for what you are suggesting, would be the USMC issuing sandals to Marines (USMC are badass, however they're too smart for that), to my knowledge, they don't
At least their current desert boots are much more comfortable than some of their previous footwear.
Last edited by big_load on Nov 30 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Nov 30 2018 9:11 pm

On my bazillionth pair of Salomons that typically last 500 miles. Last big sandal hike was over five years ago. If I'm not hiking I'm in Teva Toachi 2 Sandals ( appear to be discontinued now ). Occasionally wear them on short hikes. Rarely on Piestewa. Too much life depending friction on the Camelback boulders. Love the quick snap plastic buckle, quick and saves the velcro. Since the velcro doesn't give they'll likely last almost 2 years a pair. Unfortunately I fear the strap embedded underneath is cheap construction. Ripped out on side friction on a little hike back in January in Teva Holliway Sandals.

Just noticed there is a Terra Fi 4, which was my old fav, so I might give 'em a try. They're rated #4 best teva sandal. The 3 above just seem to be cheaper for casual trail users. Still hesitate to utilize on a longer hike or where friction is essential due to the change in manufacture. There are more promising reviews out there now verse years ago when they made the switch.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 30 2018 9:57 pm

I still wear xero shoes z-trails for most of my summer running, hiking and casual wear. I tend to wear holes through things before I replace them and this is my second pair after a warranty on the first pair by wearing the sole to 1 mm before they hit 5000 miles. It’s a ridiculous warranty which is probably why they replace them at a discounted price now instead of free. My original pair of z treks may go the 5000. They just have the sole rubber they use in the z trails with no foam layers and I have had those things for years and although I don’t hike as much in them they show almost no evidence of wear despite doing Pikes Peak numerous times as well as Mt. Esther hundreds of times. The z trails are more comfortable and lighter, but they wear out faster. They still last longer than other sandals and shoes i’ve used except Vff’s.
Last edited by MtnBart01 on Nov 30 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Nov 30 2018 11:28 pm

MtnBart01 wrote:5000 miles
:o wow [ LA to NY 2444 Miles One Way :: map ]
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 01 2018 7:35 am

joebartels wrote:Just noticed there is a Terra Fi 4
I've owned a number of Terra Fi 4's over possibly the last 10+ years?

Around 4-5 years ago I saw a great deal at $44/pair and bought 3.
Then this October, I thought I'd dig out the next pair, but I couldn't remember...
#1. If I still had unworn pairs
#2. And if so, where are they ?
After a first round of searching with no luck, I bought another pair. And wouldn't you know it, the day they arrived, as I was unwrapping the new pair, I had a crystal-clear memory of where I had stored the other pairs. And sure enough, there they were, two unworn pairs.

So now I have 3 unworn pairs again... and if my aging memory plays no more tricks on me I may never need to buy another pair in my life-time.
:y:
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Dec 01 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannondaleKid

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Dec 01 2018 7:50 am

@joebartels Both pairs have 500+ miles the one on the top are 4 years old the others were the free warranty pair that have two summers on them.
@Jim H sandals are great if you already have gnarly toes! Ask Joe B he banned my toes for life from HAZ! :D
Attachments
CBC37DF1-0104-4599-A468-6187CB2BF5E5.jpeg
Last edited by MtnBart01 on Dec 01 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Dec 01 2018 8:00 am

Oh, I'm not really worried about how beat up my toes look. Doubt anyone else is, either. I am debating whether I should go in sandals today, as I was going to use them to add some challenge for me as I figure they would slow me a bit, but the person who said they wanted to go canceled last night. I may do it, just because. Bighorn isn't that long or hard.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 01 2018 8:50 am

I'd say it's an individual thing. Hundreds have thru-hiked the AT and PCT in sandals, and even barefoot. But that's all trail.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “General”