Trail head theft

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Canyonram
City, State: Payson, AZ

Trail head theft

Post by Canyonram » Mar 06 2010 4:10 pm

Has anyone experienced theft and/or vandalism of their vehicle after leaving it parked at the trail head? This is becoming a very common event at some of the trails close to urban areas and I wonder if it has happened to someone at Grand Canyon. (I hope the answer is NO.) Some of the GC trail heads are accessible at night with the 'overnight' parking clearly designated (Grandview comes to mind).

Last summer, I returned late to the BCO parking lot after a Clear Creek hike. My tire was flat----I had to unload my truck and made a ruckus getting the tire on-and-off. I was fully visible under the overhead parking lot lights and it dawned on me that I could just as easily be stealing a tire instead of replacing a flat. I was not challenged by anyone---Park Service or other hikers.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Trail head theft

Post by joebartels » Mar 07 2010 10:21 am

This could be said of any website on virtually any gathering topic. No where on HAZ does it suggest to post meeting times or give out phone numbers, email addresses or post photos of yourself or property. Only members can view Events. If any member wants a password protected thread I can set that up. At which point the poster deals with PMs of everyone interested and gives out the password at their discretion.

As with other related issues in general life there's no need to live in fear. Protect yourself with insurance policies and/or be smart in your actions.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 07 2010 11:39 am

Do you really think the knuckle-draggers who do this type of crime are onto HAZ? I doubt it. Not unthinkable, of course, but I doubt it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Mar 07 2010 12:42 pm

I doubt it too. Seems like alot of trouble for a backpack or radio or something petty. Now if they were out stealing cars, I would believe it.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 07 2010 12:54 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote:a picture of your HAZ ride
I never know what my HAZ ride will look like until I reach the airport. :D

Canyonram
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Mar 07 2010 2:38 pm

After posting the initial query I did a web search on the topic 'Trail head theft hiking backing,'

Backpacker Magazine has a 1995 article discussing the issue and hints to keep your property safe:
http://books.google.com/books?id=6d4DAA ... ad&f=false

If the link doesn't work, just do a search on: Trouble at the trailhead Backpacker Magazine

My favorite hint is to drive to the trailhead in a 'junker' vehicle. I've been driving one of those for years! LOL.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 07 2010 2:55 pm

Interesting read! I'm a fan of the trailhead alternative suggestions. Kudos on their efforts to install video cams. Although that one was stolen...lol (obviously wasn't obscure) Have to figure with the price of cam and recording technology declining so fast these will be more mainstream in the future. Though it probably will have to be self deployed as many government systems can't seem to figure out the basics of simply staying open.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 07 2010 3:15 pm

I'm still in favor of snipers...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 07 2010 3:35 pm

Don't get your hopes up turning nice, crystal-clear video of a crime over to Tucson Police or PCSD. Our security officers do this all the time and they have yet to actually catch anyone. One guy we caught on tape throwing a Molotov at our emergency department wasn't caught until days later after he sought treatment at a local urgent care for injuries sustained in the Molotov incident and tried to light the doctor's desk on fire...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 07 2010 3:48 pm

I've run across that myself in a job a couple years ago. With nearly seven billion people in the world the evidence you submit must be leadable.

Perhaps a shot of cars entering/leaving, then again anybody can cover up their tags.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 07 2010 3:55 pm

MacE & Lots Cattle Co. - Take the tour, you'll be left speechless! (discounts available for copper miners)
:sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 07 2010 5:12 pm

Ya just stay outta my dreams : rambo :
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Nov 30 2011 9:59 pm

Scottsdale police says woman breaking into cars at trailheads

The latest vehicle break-in happened Nov. 19 at the Lost Dog Trailhead. Cards were used at a Tempe Target, Lowes and Shell gas station, police said.

Photo and the rest of the story at http://www.azcentral.com/community/scot ... s-brk.html

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 01 2011 6:39 am

Why do people leave their cards in their cars? Cards are small and easy to put in your pocket or pack. Hope they catch the gal and make her hike Flatiron every day for a month.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 01 2011 6:47 am

Most crooks have low impulse control. Remove their impulse trigger, and they will steal from someone else. Or, in other words, don't leave anything even remotely valuable in plain view. (Trunk it.)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Dec 01 2011 11:15 am

azbackpackr wrote: Hope they catch the gal and make her hike Flatiron every day for a month.
That's not a punishment. I'd be doing that if I lived closer. :y:

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 01 2011 11:33 am

just heard 1 in 11 holiday shoppers leaves with one unpaid item
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 01 2011 12:09 pm

joe bartels wrote:just heard 1 in 11 holiday shoppers leaves with one unpaid item
Just a thought but how many registered users of HAZ in essence do the same thing? :scared:

Joe, you do not have to answer that question. :-k
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 01 2011 12:59 pm

joe bartels wrote:just heard 1 in 11 holiday shoppers leaves with one unpaid item
Ha! Not in my gallery, but then again they would actually have to buy something... :?

My son told me that one day at a TH he saw 2 women pull up in their car, pop the hood from inside and throw their purses into the engine compartment.
Then locked the car and took off hiking.
My son now does the same thing.......with his wallet, not a purse....I know how you folks think.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 01 2011 3:36 pm

Maybe they have better memories than me, but I would return to the trailhead, hop in my car, and turn my wallet into confetti ... ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Dec 01 2011 4:09 pm

Never had anything stolen at a trailhead, but have had my gear stolen from camp before. Left everything in a tent for the day, but when we came back that evening, everything was gone. Whoever took it did leave the stove and fuel, which we had left outside the tent in the shade. The one consolation was that the tent was terrible and my sleeping bag was on its last leg - never got over the loss of my Chacos, though. This wasn't in a campground or along a trail, just randomly off the road on BLM land. Lesson learned, I suppose. Don't leave anything where anyone can see it from any kind of road at all, especially when it's not a very remote area.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”