Hiking with "tunes"...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Hiking with "tunes"...

Post by pencak » Mar 10 2010 10:55 pm

Maybe I'm weird or some kind of old pre-electronic dinosaur but I find it strange all the people I see when I'm hiking that have earbuds on listening to music. To me, walking on the trail and listening to the same sounds that were around 500+ years ago in the same area seems natural. You're walking in nature and avoiding the enjoyment of hearing the natural surroundings? You miss stuff like the fact that Cadydid's make noise when you get within a specific distance from them and some birds warn when they see you approach, along with the relaxing sound of water, etc.

I'm not really trying to rip on it or anything, it just seems out of place to me. Listening to music while you're hiking.

Perhaps this topic has been covered before but I was wondering what everybody thought about this.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Hiking with "tunes"...

Post by big_load » Mar 10 2010 11:26 pm

I prefer to either be totally immersed in my surroundings, or to let my mind wander free of other human influence. Neither of those options goes well with earbuds, but I don't care what anyone else does as long as I don't have to hear it.

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Mar 10 2010 11:28 pm

I never use my iPod when I hike. It's for the gym. However, I do carry it with me when I hike because I typically use it in the car on the way to the trailhead, and don't want to leave it behind for thieves.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Mar 10 2010 11:48 pm

Whenever I hike alone I listen to my ipod. It keeps me company.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 11 2010 4:26 am

Yeah, there is another topic on this, (and the dog one, too! ;) ) I just think it's a matter of personal choice. I have never done it and probably won't, I do like natural sounds, and I hike solo most of the time in areas where there are no other people at all. But listening to one's favorite music doesn't hurt anyone, as long as you remain aware of your surroundings.

What if you were hiking in a remote part of the Supes where there is very little hiker traffic. Someone has gotten into trouble out of view of the trail, and is calling for help. You won't hear them, and they may not get help if no one else comes by. Just a thought...

Someone mentioned on another thread about hiking on trails next to Phx. or Tuc. that he wears an iPod, not necessarily turned on, just so other people will leave him alone. If I had to hike in those conditions, I think I would just forget about it...

One thing I notice up here, as to other people on the trails, that if I meet people from the city, they are sometimes not as friendly as locals--or what I mean is, they don't seem surprised to see other people, and are not inclined to stop and chat. I finally figured out they are so used to seeing other hikers it doesn't occur to them to stop and talk for an hour, like locals will. (Be forewarned, if you are hiking in the remoter parts of the White Mtns., and find yourself "button-holed" on the trail by a local, it is probably because we are so starved for the company of other hikers, we just assume you are, too. Sorry bout that! Be patient, though, because you might actually learn something about the area if you talk to a local hiker.)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Mar 11 2010 6:55 am

Most of the time when I'm out on a real hike, I'd never bring an iPod unless I got a tougher steep climb ahead of me like in the Grand Canyon and need the extra motivation. But if I'm doing a local 2-3 hour training hike that I've done a dozen times already, then I'm totally sporting an iPod. :sweat:
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Mar 11 2010 7:11 am

azbackpackr wrote: it doesn't occur to them to stop and talk for an hour
I'm ok with the talking part if the person is interesting...a 75 year old guy I met in CO was really cool to hike with because he had great stories. I enjoy childhood stories as long as they are interesting like when someone told me how he learned to blow his first bubble, pressing the ether was my fav, and the 5 year old who shared a mayo sandwich...top notch. I can usually tell within the first 5 minutes if I'll spend more time with that person. If they're anything like HikeAZ, I could listen for hours.

but the stopping part :yuck: unless he/she already has a fire going. ;)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak » Mar 11 2010 6:37 pm

JamesLyding wrote:I never use my iPod when I hike. It's for the gym.
I agree with that. There (in the gym) to do it right you've got to concentrate, utilize time efficiently and minimize distractions. There's also the motivation factor to push it to the limit. I guess if a hike were more of a hard core training thing, I could see listening to tunes being beneficial. It really depends though. If footing and the precariousness of the trail were an issue after 3 or 4 hours of pushing it in the aerobic zone, combined with music and you're in an endorphin trance. Something like that could be dangerous when you're moving fast.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Mar 11 2010 6:46 pm

pencak wrote:
JamesLyding wrote:I never use my iPod when I hike. It's for the gym.
I agree with that. There (in the gym) to do it right you've got to concentrate, utilize time efficiently and minimize distractions. There's also the motivation factor to push it to the limit. I guess if a hike were more of a hard core training thing, I could see listening to tunes being beneficial. It really depends though. If footing and the precariousness of the trail were an issue after 3 or 4 hours of pushing it in the aerobic zone, combined with music and you're in an endorphin trance.
Something like that could be dangerous when you're moving fast.
At least you wont hear yourself hit the ground!
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

nobert15

Post by nobert15 » Mar 11 2010 7:37 pm

I bring my tunes with me for backpacking. When it's dark out and all you have to stare at is the fire it's nice to listen to some of my favorite slow songs.

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Mar 11 2010 7:42 pm

Hey, if I'm hiking on saturday morning 10am, it's time for Cartalk... the ear buds go on! I carry a radio, but probably only use it 10% of the time on longer training hikes, especially on the repeat multiple climbs... the music can help.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 11 2010 7:56 pm

I listen to football in season. Music on occasion, seems more so on the summer hikes.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Mar 11 2010 8:19 pm

I prefer the sound of wind blowing past me at 50 miles an hour. Ah, music to my ears.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 11 2010 8:32 pm

I likely will never try it unless one of my kids gives me one for Christmas. It is not something that it would occur to me to buy. Hubby got one for Christmas this past year, and he uses it at the gym. I haven't even tried his, that's how interested I am.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Mar 11 2010 8:46 pm

Joad Cressbeckler wrote:I prefer the sound of wind blowing past me at 50 miles an hour. Ah, music to my ears.
You can get that on a tape...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Mar 11 2010 9:27 pm

I must say that there are few things I like better than great scenery, no one around, and the right song to go with it all.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Mar 11 2010 10:15 pm

joe bartels wrote:I listen to football in season. Music on occasion, seems more so on the summer hikes.
1060 AM for Husker football? I have UofA season tickets, and I frequently listen to Husker football on the way up to Tucson.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 11 2010 10:34 pm

Naw I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred. Just lived in NE from about 5 to 8 years old. The fam is still there, my brother thinks it's heaven.

Lived within miles of Owen Field in Norman, best place on earth to be a kid. Even high school football in that town is more intense than what most ever experience here in the Southwest. I vaguely follow anymore yet still enjoy listening on warm breezy Autumn days. The unmatched euphoric feelings of great plays for myself is still pure harmony and relaxing from all the other issues going on in the world.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Mar 12 2010 6:25 am

joe bartels wrote:The unmatched euphoric feelings of great plays
I didn't know there was a cultured side to you. Which did you like better Phantom of The Opera or Grease? ;)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Hiking 101”