Natural Arches and Bridges labels

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Natural Arches and Bridges labels

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 21 2010 3:02 pm

Today I created the geology labels "natural arch" and "natural bridge". Being that these features are often popular hiking destinations, I expect they may get a fair amount of use. I've laid out the differences between a natural arch and natural bridge in the label descriptions (based on the Natural Arches and Bridges Society). Hope everyone will check out the labels and start applying them. I will start going through some old hike photos and try to label some.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Re: Natural Arches and Bridges labels

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 21 2010 3:08 pm

Born by water, Born by Wind and modified by dam engineers.
jk

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 21 2010 4:51 pm

Sweet! I was thinking of doing something similar but you beat me to it! I will definitely be using them.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 21 2010 4:54 pm

PageRob wrote:Sweet! I was thinking of doing something similar but you beat me to it! I will definitely be using them.
I also added bigger features like: monocline, syncline, anticline and laccolith. All very Colorado Plateauish stuff that's right up your alley. I bet we could think of a few others...

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Apr 21 2010 6:06 pm

Great.... thinks for your efforts!
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 22 2010 2:30 pm

Jake, I noticed that you labeled Royal Arch with "natural arch". Based on the descriptions you included (i.e. current or stream runs through the opening), wouldn't that classfiy as a natural bridge?

Cool feature! I will certainly be using it to find hikes now.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 22 2010 4:39 pm

azpride wrote:Jake, I noticed that you labeled Royal Arch with "natural arch". Based on the descriptions you included (i.e. current or stream runs through the opening), wouldn't that classfiy as a natural bridge?
Yes, good call. I was kinda rushing through labeling stuff and not paying close enough attention.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 25 2010 6:41 am

I have a copy of Amateur Geology by Cvancara and also been trying to read geologic maps. Little trouble withstrikes and dips. Is this something you may be including ?
jk

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 25 2010 8:45 am

Nighthiker wrote:I have a copy of Amateur Geology by Cvancara and also been trying to read geologic maps. Little trouble withstrikes and dips. Is this something you may be including ?
Hmmm...I'm not entirely sure how to incorporate strikes and dips into any of the geology labels, although they are essential in proving the existence of monoclines and such. I can attempt to help your understanding of strikes and dips here. The main thing to worry about on the the little symbol (which slightly resembles a T), is that the shorter line of the symbol indicates the direction of the dip in rock. Dip refers to the downward tilt. The strike is indicated by the longer line of the symbol, and is there really just to give reference to the direction of the dip. This only really applies to sedimentary rocks, which are always deposited horizontally, so a dip can indicate a tectonic force has been exerted on the rock. Hope that helps. Perhaps Rob could explain it better than I can, I'm sure his schooling was more extensive than mine was. To be honest, it is hard to grasp the concept fully until to actually go out into the field with a Brunton compass and measure strikes and dips first hand (over and over).

Return to “Geology”