Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZLOT69
Adventure Kokopelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

SR 88 - Apache Trail

Post by AZLOT69 » Oct 21 2010 6:52 am

Wikipedia wrote:The Apache Trail in Arizona was a stagecoach trail that ran through the Superstition Mountains. It was named the Apache Trail after the Apache Indians who originally used this trail to move through the Superstition Mountains.

The current Apache Trail links Apache Junction (33.4152°N 111.5807°W) at the edge of the Greater Phoenix area with Theodore Roosevelt Lake (33.6725°N 111.1531°W), through the Superstition Mountains and the Tonto National Forest.

Today, the majority of Apache Trail remains unpaved, turning into a dirt road a few miles up from Tortilla Flat, and continuing as such for nearly the full remainder of its length. The section east of Apache Junction is known officially as State Route 88. It is also the main traffic corridor through Apache Junction, turning into Main Street as the road passes into Mesa, and regains the Apache name by becoming Apache Boulevard in Tempe, ending at Mill Avenue. Prior to the completion of the Superstition Freeway in 1992, the Apache Junction portion of the Apache Trail was part of US Highway 60, which was rerouted to the Superstition Freeway once it was completed.

The Trail winds steeply through 40 miles (64 km) of rugged desert mountains, past deep reservoir lakes like Canyon Lake and Apache Lake. The narrow, winding road is unpaved from just east of the town of Tortilla Flat to Roosevelt Dam; there are steep cliff drops and little in the way of safety barriers. The trail requires caution when driving and it is not recommended for large RVs, SUVs, or caravans. Some large RV rental companies in the US do not allow their vehicles to be taken on this route.
The Apache Trail will be closed for some major road repairs from November 15 - January 21, 2011. major delays will occur prior to and after those stated dates. Plan your outings accordingly.

See press release: http://www.azdot.gov/highways/projects/ ... 101510.pdf
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 21 2018 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Apache Trail SR88 Road Closure

Post by big_load » Oct 21 2010 9:27 am

Thanks for the info. That crosses off one of the trips I was considering.

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Oct 21 2010 9:50 am

Yeah, I recall the stretch along Lewis and Pranty Creek having some pretty serious damage. Oh well, plenty to do west of Tortilla Flats.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Oct 21 2010 10:30 am

Interesting they aren't doing anything about the narrow cliff edge down to Fish Creek with nineteenth century railings. Just reinforcing areas. Guess that''d be a huge project to blast out a wider lane. Keeps it authentic old west :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Oct 21 2010 10:52 am

^^^ I hope they don't change that area.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 03 2010 12:45 pm

I'm guessing to expect more hikers going to Reavis Ranch and falls these next two weekends. Getting in those hikes before having to go the extra long way around through Roosevelt. Maybe I'll see some other HAZer's out there! :)
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Vaporman
Mythical Legend
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Nov 05 2010 6:52 pm

Guess I better hit those canyons in the area before they're closed off for half of the winter... :o
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

louie
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: FR 213 Tortilla Trailhead

Post by louie » Jan 25 2011 8:19 pm

Is Hwy 88 closed past Tortilla flats? I've heard there is roadwork being done and am wondering if you can get to this trailhead going north past tortilla flats. Thanks. Jason
Not all who wander are lost...

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Re: FR 213 Tortilla Trailhead

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 25 2011 8:24 pm

The road is closed beyound that point at the top of Fish Creek Hill according to a previous post.

Some one please confirm this for us.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jan 25 2011 8:39 pm

http://www.azdot.gov/highways/projects/ ... l_repairs/
GLOBE — A four-mile segment of State Route 88, the historic Apache Trail, is scheduled to open at 6 p.m. today (January 21). The highway has been closed since November between Tortilla Flat and Apache Lake for repairs to storm-damaged retaining walls and roadway sections.

The Arizona Department of Transportation will continue working through the end of February with intermittent weekday closures of up to 20 minutes.

Drivers are reminded to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.

ADOT works to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur. Weather can also affect a project schedule. To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at http://www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 25 2011 11:06 pm

joe bartels wrote:A four-mile segment of State Route 88, the historic Apache Trail, is scheduled to open at 6 p.m. today (January 21).
Great news!!! :y:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

lindaagm
TangyPlaid Slemonindapelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by lindaagm » Jan 21 2017 12:28 pm

As of an hour ago, ADOT is reporting that SR88 is closed between Tortilla Flat and Roosevelt Lake due to a large boulder blocking the road near milepost 226. They implied that they would be blasting the rock out another day, so I'm guessing it will be at least an overnight closure.
Instagram: lindaagm

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 21 2017 12:45 pm

While attempting to id this mile post location I came across this ADOT project for Apache Trail (88) this year. https://www.azdot.gov/projects/phoenix- ... 8/overview

Also the rock fall in question is most likely on or near Fish Creek Hill. WOW Dynamite time.!!!
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 21 2017 6:42 pm

ADOT never heard of a Fulcrum and a Lever :)
jk

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 21 2017 7:01 pm

It is reported to be near the beginning of Fish Creek Hill and is five feet in diameter. :-k
Where is BobP when we really need him! :lol:

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Jan 21 2017 7:29 pm

Nighthiker wrote:ADOT never heard of a Fulcrum and a Lever
I just got a picture of Wile E. in my mind. Not sure if that would end well or not.
Go find a LonelyCache

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Jan 22 2017 7:06 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:It is reported to be near the beginning of Fish Creek Hill and is five feet in diameter.
I had heard the same size estimate, then I saw a photo of one guy standing atop the boulder with another climbing up... it was at least 12 feet high. Going to need some blasting to get that guy out of the right-of-way.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Mr_Squishy
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Kodiak, AK

Post by Mr_Squishy » Jan 22 2017 8:08 am

Carlson says Tortilla TH is at mile 221, so I'm assuming you can get there from AJ?

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 22 2017 8:16 am

Mr_Squishy wrote:Carlson says Tortilla TH is at mile 221, so I'm assuming you can get there from AJ?
Provided no other issues crop up, yes.
(Other issues like too much flow across the road at Tortilla Flat, which of course can change by the hour)
CannondaleKid

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 22 2017 8:45 am

12 foot high same distance across I would use five to seven sticks of dynamite depending upon the rock type. That would reduce the rock to pieces no larger that 3 feet in diameter or less. If the front end loader will not handle that size you would have to use more dynamite or blast them individually after the first attempt. And yes I have blasted granite boulders a number of times and some times to gravel but I would not want to do that on Fish Creek Hill as it may damage the road as well as maybe create more down fall. I miss those days of blasting rocks, trees, stumps and ditches. LOL Oh, also they may drill into the rock, fill the drill hole with less than a quarter stick and split it that way to avoid to much potential for creating additional rock fall above or below the road bed. I wish they would video the effort for all to see.

Return to “Road Conditions”