14%
Boiling
8%

Total votes: 175

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Water filters/purifiers

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 03 2003 12:11 am

I use a first need water purifier. It weighs around 18 ounces but filters down to .01 microns. It claims to take everything (including viruses) out of the water and I haven't had a problem yet. It costs around 80 bucks. I have also used iodine tablets and bleach, personally I like the purifiers (not just filters) better.

I would like to upgrade to a unit thats lighter and has a higher flow rate. Of course I want to retain the purifying aspect of the unit, any suggestions?

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Water filters/purifiers

Post by azbackpackr » May 22 2011 3:59 pm

I have the same filter and need to send it back. It has a split in the main body, which squirts out water. I have to keep my finger over it when pumping. Pain in the neck. It was a gift and I don't know where it was purchased.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » May 29 2011 5:53 pm

ok, so maybe I spoke too soon. My katadyn was pumping out a lot of charcoal this weekend. Does anyone know what the problem is? I was thinking maybe the filter is defective or missing some type of screen.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 29 2011 6:30 pm

Tough_Boots wrote: My katadyn was pumping out a lot of charcoal this weekend. Does anyone know what the problem is?
No big deal if it's brand new. Something to worry about if not. In most structures, the charcoal element comes after the fine filter. Some of the smaller charcoal particles may rinse out in the first few liters, but no more after that.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » May 29 2011 6:43 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:ok, so maybe I spoke too soon. My katadyn was pumping out a lot of charcoal this weekend. Does anyone know what the problem is? I was thinking maybe the filter is defective or missing some type of screen.
Most of them are like that the first time through. I always test my filters at home in the sink before taking them into the field.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » May 29 2011 7:45 pm

I've broken in filters before and this is seriously a lot of charcoal. This is after pretesting a liter at home and probably three liters in the field. I just cleaned and it's still spewing out a healthy portion of charcoal when I first start pumping. After a couple pumps it stops. I'm beginning to think that if it stops doing this, it means all the charcoal is gone.
--bill callahan

Tough_Boots

Re: I LOVE MY REI DIVIDEND!

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 14 2012 4:21 pm

Once the 20% off couple comes out next week, I'll have pretty much exactly what I need for a steripen. :y:
Last edited by HAZ_Hikebot on Mar 14 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved from I LOVE MY REI DIVIDEND!
--bill callahan

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 14 2012 4:37 pm

Hopefully they make them better, mine has given me lots of trouble. Perhaps just a bad one too that should have been returned from the getgo five years ago. The main issue is getting the thing to turn on after one use. If it gets wet beyond a certain point (not the best design for an item meant to be put in water) it doesn't work until it dries out. Also uses batteries real quick. Won't work unless the batteries are fresh. Lithiums seem to be the only saving grace but then there's that friggen issue with not getting the sides too wet...err

The te-wa drops(aqua whatever they're called) and the johnlp drops(bleach) have just proven so much easier, lighter and guess it's too late for cheaper...lol
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 14 2012 4:58 pm

I have always used the Katadyn but have always had major problems with the pumps and defective elements. As far as the steripen goes, I read that they've made major improvements since 2008. The light is much stronger and the batteries last longer. There are two basic kinds now. The one that runs off of the smaller and lighter CR-whatever batteries gets less battery life but it doesn't have the problem with it not working once its gotten too wet. Its a stupid sensor design that they've eliminated for that model. The ones that can take AA's have a much better battery life but still have the older sensor. I kinda wish they made the AA's with the newer sensor. AA's not only last longer but are much easier to find especially if you're traveling. I always carry the te-wa drops as backup or for emergencies.
--bill callahan

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 14 2012 6:43 pm

joe bartels wrote:johnlp drops(bleach)
Is it liquid bleach or do they make a bleach tablet now?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 14 2012 7:01 pm

--bill callahan

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Mar 14 2012 7:07 pm

iodine WILL NOT kill giardia.

use these, at half strength (that is to say 1 tablet for a 1/2 gallon): http://www.rei.com/product/695229/katad ... kage-of-30
and dont stress on the "wait time", they were tested and approved for "type II" water, which you'll prolly never encounter. 15 minutes is sufficient.
:D

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 14 2012 7:58 pm

It's coming up on that time of year where water is going to start becoming more of an issue and especially this year if we don't get any more rain. So I have to start thinking about filtering/treating water. I have a Katadyn Hiker that was purchased over 6 years ago for working Katrina, but it has never been used. I also have a bunch of Micropur MP 1 tablets that were purchased at the same time so they are over 6 years old...

I have never filtered or treated water before. The Tablets say 4 hours treat time. I learned in a first aid class to use bleach, as it was effective in killing off everything that needed to be killed and worked pretty much instantaneously and then you carry kool aid or something powdered to help with taste....

So thought I would reopen this thread. Comments on what I have and the age of what I have are welcome....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Mar 14 2012 8:06 pm

@Tough_Boots
You might want to check this out.
( dead link removed )
If you go with the steri pen make sure you have a Gatorade or similar wide mouthed container so the pen's sensor will be in contact with the water otherwise it won't work. That above bottle is rechargeable and does 16 gallons on a charge.
Rei now carries the Sawyer squeeze filter. Been a lot happier with this at 3 oz. than my katadyn filter which died on the first day of Grand Gulch.
The dividend seems to be coming later every year? I'm ready for mine to come. Get to see whether putting everything on the rei card pays off at the end of the year. :sl:
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Mar 14 2012 8:31 pm

I use the MSR sweetwater. Easy to use and clean and water tastes great. Also carry tabs in my emergency bag.
WOW. Just noticed I posted on the REI thread thinking I was on the water purifier thread. Oops. :D
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 15 2012 5:47 am

I need a new filter. My Katadyn got a crack in it, I think I'll send it back, so I went back to using my Hiker Pur, which as far as I can tell, is identical to the Katadyn. Both are TOO heavy, and TOO bulky. I hesitate to depend on any kind of additives, although I do keep some on hand. But I don't think they are particularly good for you, and plus, then you have to keep buying them. What do the SUL's use?

Or, I should say, WWSULD? :D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Mar 15 2012 7:07 am

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinkin ... tment.html

Aqua Mira uses chlorine dioxide technology to remove the 'baddies' - that is what most municipal water treatment plants use as well.
For back-country use it is; light, effective and relatively inexpensive - it also is not prone to catastrophic failure in the field.
kurt

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 15 2012 9:59 am

@hikeaz

but the four hour recommended wait time is not exactly helpful.
--bill callahan

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Mar 15 2012 10:29 am

Tough_Boots wrote:@hikeaz

but the four hour recommended wait time is not exactly helpful.
From McNett's (mfg.) website...

"AQUAMIRA WATER TREATMENT

Prior to treatment, clean water container.

Place 7 drops AQUAMIRA (Part A) and 7 drops Activator (Part B) in mixing cap. If water is cloudy or tinted use 15 drops of each.

Let mixture react 5 minutes.

Fill container with 1 quart (1 liter) water. Add contents of cap.

Shake to mix. Let stand 15 minutes. If water is very cold, cloudy or tinted let stand 30 minutes.

Water is ready for use."
kurt

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 15 2012 10:30 am

http://giardiaclub.com/aqua-mira-water.html
Aqua Mira Testing
In visiting with the manufacturers of Aqua Mira, we found out that it has gone through extensive testing required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Apparently this and many other treatment methods will kill the vast majority of organisms quite easily. The really difficult rascal is giardia. Even Aqua Mira takes some time to kill it - sometimes up to 30 minutes. The outer casing of the giardia cyst is hard. Most water treatment has a difficult time killing it. But in the labs and in our field testing,, Aqua Mira has proven quite effective.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 15 2012 11:55 am

From what I've read, cryptosporidium is the bad boy that takes the longest to kill. According to the lab report on Aquamira's website, it says 4 hrs to safely kill crypto. Of course, that's assuming I'm reading this report correctly :)

( dead link removed )
--bill callahan

Return to “Hydration & Purification”