Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

Forest Service to Host Public Meetings for Arizona National

A continuous, 800+ mile diverse and scenic trail across Arizona from Mexico to Utah.

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Forest Service to Host Public Meetings for Arizona National

Post by joebartels » Jul 13 2017 3:59 pm

U.S. Forest Service
Southwestern Region
333 Broadway, SE
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Web: http://http://www.fs.usda.gov/r3

News Release

Media Contact: Laura White
520-388-8328
laurawhite@fs.fed.us

Title: Forest Service logo - Description: Logo that reads:" Forest Service U S Department of Agriculture" all enclosed in a shield shape with a tree shape in the middle.
Forest Service to Host Public Meetings for Arizona National Scenic Trail

Albuquerque, NM, July 13, 2017 – The Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture will host six public meetings in August throughout Arizona to discuss development of a comprehensive plan for the Arizona National Scenic Trail.

The comprehensive plan is being developed in partnership with the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Arizona State Parks, local governments, and the Arizona Trail Association. The plan will guide management of the trail for the next 15 to 20 years.

The Arizona National Scenic Trail stretches over 800 miles from Mexico to the Utah border. Thousands of hikers, runners, mountain bicyclists, and horseback riders enjoy the trail each year. It stretches through seven Arizona counties, four National Forests, one state park, four National Park Service sites including Grand Canyon National Park, and two Bureau of Land Management units. The Arizona National Scenic Trail was added to the National Trails System by Congress in 2009. It is one of only 11 National Scenic Trails nationwide.

"This trail has been a community project from day one," said Laura White, Forest Service Trail Administrator. “We hope supporters of the trail will take this opportunity to help us craft a long-term vision for its management and protection.”

All public meetings are open house format and run from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. A short presentation on the plan will begin at 6 p.m. Meeting dates and locations are:

· Tuesday, August 8, 2017

o Julia Randall Elementary School Gymnasium 600 S Green Valley Pkwy., Payson, Arizona

· Wednesday, August 9, 2017

o Kanab City Library Multipurpose room, 374 N Main St., Kanab, Utah

· Thursday, August 10, 2017

o Flagstaff Aquaplex Community Meeting Room A, 1702 N. Fourth St., Flagstaff, Arizona

· Tuesday, August 15, 2017

o Patrick K. Hardesty Midtown Multi-Service Center, 1100 S Alvernon Way, Tucson, Arizona

· Wednesday, August 16, 2017

o Superior Chamber of Commerce, 165 Main St., Superior, Arizona

· Thursday, August 17, 2017

o Pyle Adult Education Center - Multipurpose Room B, 655 E Southern Ave., Tempe, Arizona

Topics covered at each meeting include trail management, connectivity with local communities, access for recreation, and long-term protection. Attendees will be able to review the preliminary Forest Service proposed action and provide feedback.

The meetings are scheduled during a 60-day comment period that begin August 1.

Information on the Arizona National Scenic Trail Comprehensive Plan can be found at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/azt/land-r ... anagement/

The National Trails System is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. More information can be found at: https://www.trails50.org/

For more information on the Arizona National Scenic Trail, please contact Laura White at (520)-388-8328 or laurawhite@fs.fed.us.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
Attachments
071317 Arizona National Scenic Trails Public Meetings.docx
(36.3 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
071317 Arizona National Scenic Trails Public Meetings.pdf
(40.27 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Forest Service to Host Public Meetings for Arizona National

Post by big_load » Jul 16 2017 5:46 pm

joebartels wrote:The Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture will host six public meetings in August throughout Arizona to discuss development of a comprehensive plan for the Arizona National Scenic Trail.
I hope it doesn't involve mining.

chulavista
Flutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » Jul 18 2017 6:56 am

big_load wrote:I hope it doesn't involve mining.
Sorry to say my friend, it probably will. I know of an expansion project that is proposed for the Ray mine, that will affect the AZ Trail from Ripsey Wash to the Kelvin trailhead.
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SkyIslandHiker
Seed Sowin' Kokopelli
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jul 18 2017 11:06 am

big_load wrote:I hope it doesn't involve mining.
Here is one case where it does:
Rosemont Copper has agreed to pay for relocating a segment of the Arizona Trail to avoid impacts of its planned mine southeast of Tucson - but that would happen only if the mine plans win federal approval.

The company announced that it would provide up to $650,000 to move a 10.6-mile segment of the 817-mile cross-state trail.
http://tucson.com/news...

Return to “Arizona National Scenic Trail”