Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none

Widowmaker
Sonoran Heatopelli
City, State: Deer Valley,AZ

Re: Keep fido out of the Oven - Too Hot for Spot

Postby Widowmaker » Jul 15 2017 6:28 pm

:scared:
Last edited by Widowmaker on Jul 16 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Tough_Boots » Jul 15 2017 8:06 pm

Widowmaker wrote:I really believe the humidity killed that dog and the people didn't prepare for it as it affected them as well.

Emergency crews were called at about 1pm at the Lost Dog Trail when that dog died. Between 9:30am and 1pm that day, the humidity never rose above 30%. As someone who grew up in Georgia where it averages 55-60% humidity all summer long, I'm gonna have to say that 30% humidity is not killing anything. Its the heat that kills dogs in Arizona.

Widowmaker wrote:On every hike I take Rowdy on I do all my planing on his needs not mine.

Based on the endless number of pictures on HAZ of your dog hiding in the shade, maybe you should rethink his needs. Heat hits dogs from all directions. They get more exposure from above because they are horizontal animals. They get heat blasting up from the ground because they are so low. They pull heat directly in from their feet which by the way is the only place they have sweat glands-- so you're basically neutralizing one of only two ways they have to cool their body temperatures (the other way is panting).

Widowmaker wrote:I really don't understand how this happens.

I don't really understand how anyone thinks its a good idea to take their dogs out in the heat like that. When its above 80 I really start thinking about the type of hikes I take Lily on because I know even that temperature affects her and definitely affects her enjoyment level. 100+ seems absolutely insane and cruel to me. Even if you put boots and a cooling vest on your dog, I'm never going to believe he enjoys those conditions.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Widowmaker
Sonoran Heatopelli
City, State: Deer Valley,AZ

Postby Widowmaker » Jul 15 2017 8:39 pm

:scared
Well I will never be hiking with you!!!
After all Rowdys life is so much more important to me than your life could ever be!!?
Last edited by Widowmaker on Jul 16 2017 5:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby nonot » Jul 15 2017 8:50 pm

http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Postby CannondaleKid » Jul 16 2017 6:39 am

I've held my tongue for too long and simply cannot stay silent any longer... I have too much love for dogs.

Widowmaker wrote:And I take him out because he wants to go.

Unless your dog is one-of-a-kind and is able to read a thermometer he has NO CLUE how hot it is outside, so of course he wants to go outside!

Please... tell me what dog wouldn't WANT to go outside when they know the freedom of being outdoors!

From the HAZ article: (which I wholeheartedly agree with the full article)
Dogs will push themselves to please you. Most dogs will push themselves to the point of heatstroke rather than not keep up with their owner.
Absolutely true!

Don't buy those stupid doggy bootie things. Train your dog to become accustomed to the surfaces it will hike on. If you are worried about the ground temperature, don't take the dog with you! Those bootie things are difficult for dogs to get used to, they inhibit the dog's footing, they slide off in water, and they are as appropriate as a sweater on a dog.

Expecting to 'protect' the paws from a high ground temperature, is ludicrous!

While they may help prevent transfer of the temperature of the ground to the paw, on the flip side they severely inhibit the ability the paws to 'sweat' to dissipate the heat.

Widowmaker wrote:Well Rowdy will never die because of me.

He may not die, but I'm sure he will happily suffer just to please you.

In closing, please understand, the point isn't whether you post photosets with Rowdy or not, it is about his safety and well-being. PLEASE, give Rowdy the benefit of the doubt!

/off soapbox
:M2C:

Disclaimer: No, I have not owned a dog for 60+ years, losing my first dog to a black mamba while it protected me from the snake. He got between me and the snake with the result being they both died... and I lived.
So... I must admit I do have a huge soft-spot for the welfare of dogs.
While dogs may be "a man's best friend", too many times the flip side is NOT true... 'man' is NOT a dog's best friend.
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

sidhayes
Speedipelli

Postby sidhayes » Jul 16 2017 6:46 am

I believe widowmaker knows what he is doing. I have trust in widowmaker.

Return to “Fatalities”