Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Tony's Backyard, AZ
Linked Areas none
pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Cerro Rd Off of 60 Near Top of the World

Post by pixelfrog » Jan 11 2018 10:07 am

Anyone know if this road is open? It goes up to and past the Power Station above Gaan/Devil's Canyon. I've tried getting back to the spot where [ Tony's Backyard ] begins via N. Queen Creek Canyon Rd. but there is a large, locked gate about a half mile back preventing access.

So in other words, is there any other way back to the start of that hike by not going 50 miles down the Rogers Trough route?

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Cerro Rd Off of 60 Near Top of the World

Post by hikeaz » Jan 12 2018 9:38 am

@pixelfrog

I have not been recently, but have always entered off of 60, just north of the Arboretum. If memory serves.... Happy Camp Rd.(?) through Whitford Canyon - of course you are trying to get over to FR 342. This route is somewhat slippery in rain, but 2WD in dry times. Seems it is about 10 mi. +/- from 60 to the trailhead.
kurt

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type

Post by pixelfrog » Jan 12 2018 11:09 am

Thanks @hikeaz ! I measured it on Google Earth and you are correct it's just about 10 miles back. Thanks for the advice, might head out there this weekend. It's a choice between West Pinto to Oak Flat campground with maybe a jaunt down the Paradise Trail, The Bull Basin Loop or Into Tony's Backyard via Happy Camp road, recommendations?

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 12 2018 1:55 pm

@pixelfrog
(PM sent)
To go all the way through safely will require a 4x4, preferably one with high-clearance and at least a rear locker. It is one rough and nasty road. I've driven it a half dozen times over the last 4-5 years and while some areas are easy, others can be quite challenging, especially where the road is narrowed by washouts.
Note: It is NOT a maintained road so who knows how bad it can get.
CannondaleKid

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type

Post by pixelfrog » Jan 13 2018 7:48 am

Thanks @CannondaleKid ! Thanks for the PM as well. Yeah I do have a high clearance 4x4 but I think I'll avoid the road anyway. N Happy Camp road seems pretty straight forward and not too hardcore.

P

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 13 2018 8:25 am

@pixelfrog
Another cool road in that area is FR 229 (Silver King Road) which heads north from US 60 across from the Superior airport. If you look close at the FS Topo map you will see when FR 8 goes east from Happy Camp Road at the FR 650 intersection and connects with FR 229 just north of the Perlite plant..
CannondaleKid

Return to “General”