Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Plum, Pa

Hiking with dogs - where?

Post by PaHiker » Jan 19 2018 3:47 pm

Is there a way to tell if dogs are allowed on a particular trail? I don't see it here as an option when you look at the trail description (boy, would that be nice). Most of my AZ hikes have been in the southern area, and it seems like just about every trail as a "no dogs allowed" sign. I'd really like to know before I get to the trail, esp, since I'm coming from Pa. to hike.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride!” ― Mark Frost

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hiking with dogs - where?

Post by joebartels » Jan 19 2018 3:58 pm

@PaHiker
dog-desktop.png
Desktop Screenshot
dogs-mobile.png
Mobile Screenshot
provided by the great members that post to help other hikers
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 19 2018 4:06 pm

@joebartels

☹️😶 Boy, do I feel dumb. thanks.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride!” ― Mark Frost

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 19 2018 4:09 pm

@joebartels

Okay, question. Does the existence of the three paws (even if all three are 0) mean dogs are allowed but no one has rated it? Or, does it mean dogs not allowed, or not known?

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 19 2018 4:14 pm

@PaHiker
It's either unknown, or permitted, but not yet rated by any user.

Trails known to prohibit dogs are clearly posted no dogs: [ Pusch Peak ]
Ja vi elsker dette landet

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jan 19 2018 4:16 pm

@PaHiker
that would mean assumed allowed but since no one has reported anything I'd be cautious

dogs not allowed displays
no-dogs.png
dogs not allowed
( what are the chances I picked the same example as HAZ Hat Lovin' Kokopelli )
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 19 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks everyone. That's a big help in planning.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 19 2018 4:19 pm

In general, most trails do allow dogs. The main exceptions are trails that are in or cross through National Parks, some busy city trails like Camelback and Piestewa Peak, and areas of the Pusch Ridge Wilderness on Mt. Lemmon that have restrictions to protect bighorn sheep. And while that doesn't cover a whole lot of trails, it does cover some very popular trails, so the restriction may seem to be more widespread due to the popularity of restricted trails.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 19 2018 4:25 pm

@chumley

Big difference from here. We have no NP's, everything is a state park, forest, or national forest, where dogs area allowed everywhere. When I first started hiking in the Tucson area it really hit me that I couldn't find a single trail where I could bring my dog.

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Jan 21 2018 3:39 pm

Tucson areas where you can hike with dogs: It's important to understand the difference between the Pusch Wilderness Area and the Pusch Big Horn Sheep Management Area (BHS) There is some overlapping of the two. Dogs are ALLOWED in the WILDERNESS Area, and NOT in the Pusch BHS Management Area. No dogs in Sabino Canyon Recreation Area (SCRA). No dogs in Saguaro National Park East (SNPE) and West, or in general Tucson Mountain Park.

Areas that are open to dogs: The Santa Rita Mountains, The Catalina Mountains outside of the BHS Management area and SCRA, Redington Pass, out side of SNPE. Robles Pass in the Tucson Mountains, and Sentinel Park.

Hope that helps.

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 21 2018 4:31 pm

@Pivo
Helps some, thanks. Unfortunately, the no-no area are where my son and I usually hike.

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Jan 22 2018 7:18 pm

When it warms up, you won't have may options hiking with a dog. The Santa Rita's and the Santa Catalina trails will be the best options.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 22 2018 10:49 pm

@PaHiker
I like to post a +paw when I hike. Of course on some trails I think the size of the dog can change someone’s rating.
Where are you planning on hiking?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 23 2018 5:38 am

@RowdyandWidowmaker

Well, this year (Oct) looking at some of the ruins around Tonto. That's what started this, I noticed (on their website) that dogs are allowed on all but the trails where scrambling is required.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 23 2018 1:01 pm

Always double check with the park or forest when HAZ labels a hike as restricted-- it's not 100% correct.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 23 2018 6:47 pm

@PaHiker
Any hike in particular you thinking about?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 23 2018 6:57 pm

@RowdyandWidowmaker
No, working out the specs now, have a few months before it comes 'round.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 23 2018 7:24 pm

@PaHiker
Well let me know and will see what’s up.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

PaHiker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PaHiker » Jan 23 2018 7:29 pm

Return to “Dogs”