Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

AzTrail Passages 16-17

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions  • Gila River Canyons - AZT #16, AZ  • Alamo Canyon - AZT #17, AZ
Linked Areas none
Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Saint Johns

AzTrail Passages 16-17

Post by Preacher » Mar 20 2018 11:19 am

its a shame more folks don't post water reports even if it's running freely or dead dry. Need water info on Passages 16-17. Is trough spring really dry or has no one looked in the casing under the tree? Is the artesian spring at mile 279.5 running? Those two are really important and no reports other than Trough is dry, but no indication anyone looked in the casing. Is there a water drop at FR 4 as someone reported somewhere.

I love the AzTrail and intend to finish my section hike of it this year. Just did two sections carrying 7 ltr on one and 6 on the other. water weight sucks. in both cases if there had been true water reports i could have gotten by with 3. I'm slow and old, and i drink a lot.

Never met a hiker i didn't like.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: AzTrail Passages 16-17

Post by Sredfield » Mar 20 2018 11:44 am

We hiked 17 and 16 Feb 17 -20. That's a bit long ago for any water report, but we did see water below a rock wall at 33.226916, 111.152897, just off the trail in a wash. Also some water in the wash trail-south of FR4 but I'm sure it was very temporary, from a recent light rain.

There was water in the box at FR 4 but there is heavy pressure on that, I wouldn't count on it without a very recent, i.e., a week, report. Most people we encountered going north-bound were relying on it. Not a good thing IMO.

There was very skanky water in the stock reservoir about a mile north of the 16/17 boundary. Personally I'd rather carry than try to treat it, but would if I had to.

We looked at Trough Spring a year or so ago. There was no water in the upright culvert then, and the gravel bank that had been the reservoir has washed away. It did not look viable at all. If you see water there I'm sure it would be of interest to lots of people.

We didn't check the seep at 279.1 because the river is just ahead. We filtered at the river there and several miles east down the wash from 269.3.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

ultrazona
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ultrazona » Mar 21 2018 5:11 am

We have been section hiking it this year and last and have found accurate water reports on the AZT app.
ultrazona.com

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli

Water

Post by Preacher » Mar 23 2018 7:08 pm

what is the status of the cache at the beginning of passage 17? South end. Is there water or ain't there. three lives depend on your answer. not to mention the liters of water we will have to carry if no water is there or no answers come. Be blessed.

Preacher

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Mar 23 2018 7:53 pm

@Preacher The box that used to be at the 16/17 border was moved to FR 4 because restocking the box that far out became impractical/impossible. Sorry, load up at the river and hump it north.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 24 2018 6:49 am

@Preacher If you have not already done so, get the AZT app. While it may not always be up-to-the-minute, it IS a worthwhile resource as there are folks constantly providing updated water reports.

If you have the app and look at the notation for the water box at FR4 (where #17 crosses it) you will note it has a VERY current report. As of yesterday 3/23 there is NO water for public consumption.
NOTE: The water that is there at the moment is only for private use... by folks who cached it themselves.

One more thing...
If you get the app & use of it on the trail, you can help others by providing the same type of information that you so desire... and pay-it-forward.
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Mar 24 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannondaleKid

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Preacher » Mar 24 2018 8:02 am

@CannondaleKid
thank you. I have the app. it says FR 4 and the AzTrail map says trailhead 17. How do i go about getting water stashed there?

I have posted water reports in the past. hear lately no one is doing so. Would be nice if more folks did specially in the time of thru hikers and prime hiking time. i have met many folks on the trail this year. none of them has left a water report. Maybe in place of or along with personal blogs, etc, folks could post here. just look at the below topic listings of latest info. the best are almost a year old. Are we competing for something or adding to the enjoyment of all?

again thanks.

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Preacher » Mar 24 2018 8:06 am

@Sredfield
thanks for the comeback. that explains a lot. How do i get someone to stash some water for us at FR 4?????? Canondalekid says it's all called for, private stash. Seems a bit one sided, but i understand. I don't have a four wheeler or cycle to get in there. Last time i did this section was before the reroute and i used trough springs.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 24 2018 11:35 am

@Preacher
It was in the AZT app that Tracey showed me an icon where AZT 17 crosses FR 4, which is where it had the water info I mentioned.

NOTE: The supply box used to be at the AZT#17 TH (at the end of #16) but it was so remote and rough on equipment driving out there it was moved to FR 4, which was the same reason I quit driving out there as well.

While the driving conditions on FR 4/Telegraph Canyon Road are far better than the drive to 16/17 TH, it does have some pretty rough areas. If one is willing to drive slow and carefully, it can be done in a stock AWD SUV or a 2WD pickup... I've seen it done a number of times and my first time was in stock Nissan Pathfinder. (Of course it WAS better suited to my Samurai or my Cherokee)

I hear what you're saying about being 'one-sided' when it comes to water stashed for private use in a 'public use' supply box. However, at times it's offset when the water is marked 'for public use after' a specific date... which is what we will do if we have water left over.

That said, we rarely cache water in public boxes or conspicuous locations, usually off-trail and well-hidden.
CannondaleKid

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Preacher » Mar 24 2018 1:58 pm

@CannondaleKid
thanks again. Is there anyone who stashes water out there for a free? or fee? I've tried that road three times and cannot even find the right wiggle at the beginning to make it to anything that looked like a road. When i stash it's off the trail and then i leave the remnants alongside the trail marked for all to use. I wonder if sometimes it that's just a trash stash then even though there might be a liter or more in each bottle.

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Preacher » Mar 24 2018 2:03 pm

@Sredfield
thanks again. Any angels who stash?

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Mar 24 2018 3:46 pm

I guess I'm not sure what good a water cache at FR4 is going to be if you're only doing 16 & 17 and heading north. By that time, you'll only have a few miles left to get to Picket Post.
Go find a LonelyCache

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Preacher » Mar 25 2018 3:30 pm

@rcorfman
for me its a matter of 2 liters of water i have to carry. I'm slow (avg 1.5 mile per hour) and its hot, i drink a lot ( 1 liter every three miles). i have hiked the northern 7 miles and know it is an easy walk, but three hours without water in 83 degree weather is not my idea of a great hike.

thanks for your comeback. all info is appreciated.

no avatar
desertadapted
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by desertadapted » Mar 26 2018 2:28 pm

@Preacher
I'd also consider buying the Guthook app. I've been extremely impressed with the water reports on that app for the AZT. It has tons of other excellent features as well.

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Preacher » Mar 26 2018 2:53 pm

thanks. I just got it.

Return to “Trail Chat”