Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

AZT in a Day!

Post by Sredfield » Apr 16 2018 1:49 pm

OK all you hard body super hikers, you're ON!

https://aztrail.org/events/50th-anniver ... -in-a-day/

Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: AZT in a Day!

Post by sandyfortner » Apr 22 2018 7:58 pm

This is going to be SO cool! I don't think any other trail can pull this off - but we can!!
:M2C: Goldilocks

Stavman
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale

Post by Stavman » Apr 23 2018 1:46 pm

That is sweet

Im In, Ill wait and see how it fills in

This is pretty cool

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli

Post by Sredfield » Apr 23 2018 3:12 pm

We need some bikers to take on 13-17, they are out there all the time anyway.
Shawn

jamminaz
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by jamminaz » Aug 08 2018 8:07 pm

So excited to be a part of this event! :y:

no avatar
Oneradchic22
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, az

Post by Oneradchic22 » Aug 08 2018 8:41 pm

Really looking forward to this. I just think it is such a fun idea. Happy hiking! :-)

Paintninaz
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Paintninaz » Aug 09 2018 7:35 pm

3 Sections left to make this a success!! Any Mazzy enthusiasts willing to cover the Horse Camp Seep to Mineral Creek TH segment? (8.3 miles...though requires "extra" miles to just to get there), come on...I know we have some Mazatzal lovers on this site that could knock out that segment easy! come on sign up, mark your calendars, OCTOBER 6, and join in on the fun!!
Paintninaz

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Sep 04 2018 6:53 pm

Hey folks. Is there anyone in this event not pinned down to a section yet? We need someone to cover either section 50 or 51.

Section 50 is now our longest section, at 15.6 miles. The person to complete this section need to be either a hiker or an equestrian and can go north or southbound. If heading northbound, start from Doll Baby Trailhead and hike 4 miles on a road to LF Ranch, then continue on the AZT north over White Rock Mesa to Twin Buttes TH/FR 194.

Section 51 is 11.7 miles from Twin Buttes TH/FR 194 to Pine TH. The person to complete this section must also be either a hiker or an equestrian, and can head in either direction. Sign up here: https://aztrail.org/events/50th-anniver ... -in-a-day/
Last edited by tibber on Sep 04 2018 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Sep 05 2018 7:03 am

It looks like someone has now signed up for both sections 50 and 51, although 50 is yellow highlighted, not sure what that means. I'll keep an eye on the sign up page, I can do either or both of those sections.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Sep 05 2018 8:03 am

@toddak I put up a message on the FB page regarding these sections to let them know you could be available. It looks like he is only doing Section 51.
Kandis Rausch
My husband and I will switch 73 for 50. Aaron, are you going nobo or sobo?

Aaron Schneider
Aaron Schneider I’m ending 51 at the Pine Trailhead

Kandis Rausch Aaron Schneider what are your shuttle plans?

Aaron Schneider
Aaron Schneider If I’m just doing 51, I will have a vehicle and my wife will be dropping me off at TH/FR 194...were you looking for a ride there to head southbound to LF Ranch?

Kandis Rausch
Kandis Rausch Did that section nobo in April so thought it would be fun to go backwards or downhill. Lol. I think we may have it covered but just in case.... Assuming AZT will switch my sections. 🙂
I don't know if you are on FB but if so, jump in there.
Last edited by tibber on Sep 05 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Sep 05 2018 8:12 am

@tibber
I went ahead and signed up to do both 50 and 51. I'll be going NOBO, camping at Doll Baby the night before, and I've got a pickup arranged at Pine. And I'm not on FB.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Sep 05 2018 8:42 am

@toddak that's awesome!
We were talking about this over the weekend and hope that everyone that has signed up is able to complete their sections; it would be sad if for some reason someone wasn't able to. Anyway, thank you. It's good to have another HAZer on board for the day. Karl and Kathy are doing the Grand Canyon section and we're (Shawn, Tracy, Ambika and me) doing part of the Blue Ridge as we haven't completed that yet. Oh Wendy and ABC are doing part of the Rincons section.

I don't know if any other HAZers are participating...
Last edited by tibber on Sep 05 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacobemerick
Rock Creek Dreamer
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by jacobemerick » Sep 05 2018 5:43 pm

Would have loved to do them Mazzie sections but that weekend has been locked for months 😞

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli

Post by Sredfield » Sep 17 2018 2:45 pm

For anyone hiking mid-AZ, or coming through Pine after their hike, there is an informal after-party at THAT Brewery. Free dessert if you convince the wait-staff that you participated. The T-shirt would likely be pretty convincing.
Shawn

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Sep 25 2018 1:51 pm

It's still not too late to participate in the AZT in a Day! Oct 6th.
Here is the link so that you can sign up and be a part of this great event. There are other activities going on at various gateway cities too. This is what I've found so far:

Pine at That Brewery: That Brewery & Pub is hosting an after party for AZT IN A DAY participants (best for those completing sections near Pine, AZ) from 3pm to 6pm. Relax on the patio and have an Arizona Trail Ale with other participants. There will be discounts on pints, and FREE DESSERT! If you arrive after 6pm, That Brewery will still honor the discount and dessert, but you may need to wait for seating. Just show off your AZT IN A DAY T-shirt, or a photo of yourself on the trail from the day to receive the discount. Please RSVP to karrie@aztrail.org no later than October 1st with your section and number in your group so we can get a rough head count. Hope to see you!

Oracle Partners in Tourism (OPT) and the OWN - Oracle Womens Network, dba OWN Oracle are hosting two 2-hour hikes on October 6th. Afterwards hikers are encouraged to enjoy breakfast (with a half-price coupon) and music at Arizona Zipline Adventures. Contact Liz Harris-Tuck for more information: careerhorizons@msn.com
Here's more about the hikes:
Meet up at 7:45 at American Flag Trailhead
Hike 1: From the American Flag Trailhead, the route proceeds in a northerly direction across USFS and AZ State Trust land, crosses Webb Road. Hikers will turn around at Webb Road. Moderate hike through scenic rolling hills. 2-hour hike.
Hike 2: Hike to High Jinks Ranch and return to American Flag. Scenic and vast views are provided on this moderately strenuous trail. 2-hour hike.

Superior: Ready to enjoy some good food and drink after your October 6th hike?
Join "LOST in Superior" from 10am - 4pm at the Magma Club, 34 Krumpike, Superior AZ for live music, a beer garden and food trucks, oh my! Who's going?
The LOST group is also planning a hike of Section 34A (1.8 miles) on the 6th. They'll begin at the Hewitt Station Trailhead at 8am on 10/6 and hike south to Picket Post, if you'd like to join.

Anyway, take a look at this link and then go to the Sections Link and see if there is something you want to do and sign up. The more the merrier!
https://aztrail.org/events/50th-anniver ... -in-a-day/

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Sep 29 2018 1:29 pm

another update and remember, even if you don't hike, come on in to greet those who do or just to celebrate Arizona Trail In A Day :)

For those near Patagonia, Sierra Vista and Sonoita!
The Copper Brothel Brewery will offer happy hour prices on beer for all AZT IN A DAY hikers, runners, bikers and equestrians during all open hours from 11:00AM - 11:00PM, on October 6th. The kitchen closes at 9PM.

To receive a discount, either:
1) Wear your AZT IN A DAY shirt
2) Show a photo of yourself hiking, running, biking or riding from Oct 6th
3) Use the phrase "800 miles"

Copper Brothel Brewery
3112 AZ-83
Sonoita, AZ 85637
Tel. (520) 405-6721

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Sep 30 2018 8:40 am

Calling all hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders in AZ: We've had some last minute cancellations for AZT in a Day, which means we need your help. If you haven't yet signed up, now's the time to MAKE HISTORY as hundreds of people take to the trail on October 6, 2018 to hike, bike, or ride the entire AZT in a Day.

Open sections are currently located in northern AZ. View the link below to see our most urgent needs, and consider signing up to cover these sections or contacting us to sign up as an alternate for other last minute cancellations.
https://aztrail.org/events/50th-anniver ... -in-a-day/ and then look for the view the sections
Last edited by joebartels on Sep 30 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
AZTINADAY
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by AZTINADAY » Oct 03 2018 7:56 am

Thanks everyone for all of the discussion here!

RIght now we have at least one person signed up for each section (THANK YOU!!), but just a week ago we had 4 new openings due last minute drop outs.

We can help prevent openings this week by doubling up! Some sections are still only covered by one group or one individual, and we're all counting on. If you still haven't signed up, consider a section where there is just one, and join them.

4Be
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Vail, AZ

Post by 4Be » Oct 03 2018 12:47 pm

I've signed up for section 20, Gordon Hirabayashi to Cathedral Rock, since there was only one other person doing this section. But it is unclear to me if I am suppose to do something, like send an email to somebody, when I'm done. Does anybody have any insight into this?

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Oct 03 2018 1:05 pm

4Be wrote:
Oct 03 2018 12:47 pm
I've signed up for section 20, Gordon Hirabayashi to Cathedral Rock, since there was only one other person doing this section. But it is unclear to me if I am suppose to do something, like send an email to somebody, when I'm done. Does anybody have any insight into this?
Geez, that's a really good question but as far as I know there isn't anyone you have to check in with. I will double check with ATA regarding my response. I guess it would be nice if you did a selfie anyway. :)

You might want to go join in one of the "after" events. I think the closest to you is the one at Oracle.

Return to “AZT General”