# of days 1

te_wa
Guides: 3 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 294 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 494 days ago
City, State: Mesa

Peter's Canyon loop DEC 13-14th

Post by te_wa »

I posted this trip on another site (ABC) with a limit of 10 people. So far, 5 dropped out and there is room for 5 more. I doubt that 5 more from that group will sign up. So here is the offer:
This trip starts at Tortilla Ranch and takes Peter's Trail to the canyon and begins off-trail from there. Where the trail heads up Peter's Mesa we will remain in the creekbed and follow it about 3 miles to Pistol Canyon, and then take a ridge just above Pistol Cyn. to the top of the Mesa. Off trail heading in the direction of Music Canyon will bring us back to the Peter's Trail and follow it to Labarge spring. Camp at Labarge. Return either a) on the Peter's Trail or b) take Red Tanks to Hoolie Bacon back to the trucks.

I did this loop w/ Nonot last Dec. and it was fun. Some cool canyons and man-made features to enjoy. See ya there..
squirrel!
te_wa

Re: Peter's Canyon loop DEC 13-14th

Post by te_wa »

one more thing: if you read the description for Nonot's peter's loop you can get an idea of what to expect. Although there is an easier way to reach the top of Peter's Mesa and you dont have to bushwhack down in the 'unnamed' (PISTOL) canyon. It is a very nice hike and youre gonna love the area.
squirrel!
rushthezeppelin
Triplogs Last: 4,611 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 4,788 days ago
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin »

I'm assuming that you would refill on water at La Barge spring? If this is a hike where I don't have to carry all my water I think I can make that distance with my gear. Sorry I just don't know the springs out here well yet since I'm just starting to do actual backpacking. Looks about like 10 miles there and 8 back from what I can tell on my map is this about right?
te_wa

Post by te_wa »

we dont count 'mileage' on a trip like this... moreso we count 'quarts' (as in blood loss from catsclaw)
you only need to 2 quarts of water as there is some in Peter's creek and at La Barge
and prolly still some in the upper box
youre rei bag should be enough
squirrel!
rushthezeppelin

te-wa wrote:we dont count 'mileage' on a trip like this... moreso we count 'quarts' (as in blood loss from catsclaw)
you only need to 2 quarts of water as there is some in Peter's creek and at La Barge
and prolly still some in the upper box
youre rei bag should be enough
Sweet I think I would be down with this hike. BTW I wear thick pants that for the most part block the catclaw......really helped getting up battleship last weekend (my god that is a wicked bushwhack).

So what are the details on when and where I would need to be?
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 1,111 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,111 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

The catclaw in Labarge canyon a few weeks ago was the worst I've ever seen. Have fun!
rushthezeppelin

big_load wrote:The catclaw in Labarge canyon a few weeks ago was the worst I've ever seen. Have fun!
Lol maybe I should bring a machete? Naw I can handle some pretty thick stuff though : )
nonot
Guides: 98 | Official Routes: 110
Triplogs Last: 76 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 22 | Last: 76 days ago
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

After doing extensive reading I have found that about 50% of maps will identify "Bushwhack" canyon as Pistol canyon, 25% refer to it as sixshooter canyon, and the others don't know what the heck to call it.

Pistol canyon has also been referred to as the one draining into the cavalry trail from the same area. Finally, some old-timers place Pistol somewhere way far away from this spot.

Whatever you want to call it, it should be a good time!
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
te_wa

Post by te_wa »

nonot wrote:After doing extensive reading I have found that about 50% of maps will identify "Bushwhack" canyon as Pistol canyon, 25% refer to it as sixshooter canyon, and the others don't know what the heck to call it.
yeah I know. the only map i have even seen is the one on pg. 205 of the "hikers guide" so im going with that one. between you and me, its "purehell canyon" since we both have firsthand experience : rambo :
rushthezeppelin wrote:So what are the details on when and where I would need to be?
i'll PM you
squirrel!
rushthezeppelin

te-wa wrote:
-or- there is a truck waiting at Tortilla Rd. with 2 of the hikers who are going to camp there on Fri night.

choices!
Will they be at the beginning of the road or the trailhead? I have a kia so I can't get far off the Apache Trail and if they are there I would rather meet there. I don't want to leave my car in town.
Last edited by rushthezeppelin on Dec 09 2008 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rushthezeppelin

Hmmm might want to keep an eye on the weather. The sites I checked said somwhere between a 30-40% chance of rain starting early sunday possibly......this is weather for apache junction though so I'm not sure what it will be like out in the middle of the Supes.
te_wa

Post by te_wa »

weather cooperation will let us see the largest full moon of the year (perigee moon) bring a book!
Sat looks clear, sunday will have clouds and possible rain. Remember, in central AZ if the forecast doesnt say 60% chance or more, there aint gonna be no rain jimmy.
squirrel!
rally_toad
Guides: 22 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 14 days ago | RS: 47
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: CA

Post by rally_toad »

te-wa wrote:Remember, in central AZ if the forecast doesnt say 60% chance or more, there aint gonna be no rain jimmy.
Someone forgot to tell that to the rainclouds the day we did Fish Creek.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
te_wa

Post by te_wa »

RTZ, there will be a 4x4 waiting for us at the Tortilla Rd. entrance on Saturday morning. Be there by 8 am for the ride.
Im going to bring my umbrella, might need it. maybe not.
squirrel!
rushthezeppelin

te-wa wrote:RTZ, there will be a 4x4 waiting for us at the Tortilla Rd. entrance on Saturday morning. Be there by 8 am for the ride.
Im going to bring my umbrella, might need it. maybe not.
Ya I need to go get a rain poncho just to be on the safe side. I'll be there by 8 or earlier for sure. Just look for a short guy with long hair and a goatee, my name is Chris just so you know : )
te_wa

Post by te_wa »

a cheap wally world poncho might be the order of the day. $2-3 and large enough to cover your pack, cant go wrong!
see you then
squirrel!
rushthezeppelin

te-wa wrote:a cheap wally world poncho might be the order of the day. $2-3 and large enough to cover your pack, cant go wrong!
see you then
Goto love Wally-World (unless you work there...........that was the worst job I've ever had ><).
Hoffmaster
Triplogs Last: 4,720 days ago | RS: 0
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster »

I once went backpacking in the Supes somewhere around the Hoolie Bacon trail and neglected to bring the rain fly for my tent. Of course it rained that night. I had an .89¢ poncho from Wally-World with me. I cut it so that it opened length-wise and made it into a rain-fly. I used my trekking poles to hold it up off of the tent body. While it wouldn't hold up to repeated use, it kept me dry that night. Sometimes the cheap stuff works just as well. Sometimes....

Hey have fun on this weekend.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
rushthezeppelin

Hoffmaster wrote:I once went backpacking in the Supes somewhere around the Hoolie Bacon trail and neglected to bring the rain fly for my tent. Of course it rained that night. I had an .89¢ poncho from Wally-World with me. I cut it so that it opened length-wise and made it into a rain-fly. I used my trekking poles to hold it up off of the tent body. While it wouldn't hold up to repeated use, it kept me dry that night. Sometimes the cheap stuff works just as well. Sometimes....

Hey have fun on this weekend.
Ya I'm not skipping out on bringing my tarp on this one : P Definitely don't want to have to hike back all wet : P Well, better get to bed so I have plenty of energy for tomorrow : )
rally_toad
Guides: 22 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 14 days ago | RS: 47
City, State: CA

Post by rally_toad »

I was in the supes hiking on Dutchman trail and friday and we felt some rain, not much though, I think you guys will stay warm and dry. One thing is for sure, it didnt seem like December out there last night, really warm.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Return to “Hiking Events”