Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2010-01-16

# of days 1

RickVincent
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Superstition Ridgeline via Hiero

Post by RickVincent » Jan 08 2010 5:06 pm

Meeting at Fry's store on Apache Trail and Idaho Rd at 8am. I plan to have a shuttle vehicle set up at Siphon Draw Trailhead (Lost Dutchman Park) ahead of time. We will travel to the Heiro trailhead. Take Heiro up to the Ridgeline and the Ridgeline to Flatiron. Probably bag the North Peak along the way, then down the Siphon Draw to our shuttle (about 9-10 miles). I hiked Flatiron last month and bagged the north peak. Have done Hiero up to the pools. This will be my first attempt connecting the two routes via the Ridgeline. Sounds like upper Hiero is a scramble.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

DarthStiller

Re: Superstition Ridgeline via Hiero

Post by DarthStiller » Jan 08 2010 10:03 pm

I did Hiero up to the ridgeline in 2003. It is a bit of a scramble, but not too bad. I had a bit of a bad back at the time and I did ok, so you should handle it easily. In 2003 there were pink ribbons marking the route the entire way. I remember a couple steep spots with some scree, but no bouldering at all.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jan 08 2010 10:10 pm

I was up there last week with Joe.. upper Hiero is steep... some scree in places...no pink ribbons anymore but cairns will lead you. If you have a gps...Joe loaded the loop route 1/3.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 08 2010 10:16 pm

It's a better defined route than most western Superstition things they call "trails".
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jan 08 2010 10:43 pm

What is the deal with the pink ribbons? I saw them all over the place today. They were mostly down by the drainage, but a lot were near the trail. Foliage to be trimmed? Finding one's way when there's snow? Firefighting tools? FTR I hiked Cornucopia/Thicket Spring loop from the old SR 87. Not the first time I've seen these things, BTW, and they're all over the way to the top of Mount Ord from Slate Creek Divide as well.

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 09 2010 12:59 pm

Been over a year now since I've gotten to do this so I'm definitely interested. Glad were doing siphon draw at the end though....I don't think I ever want to do ridgeline with siphon draw first.

pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak » Jan 10 2010 4:49 pm

In response to Rick Vincent:
I'm in. I wanted to the Ridgeline for some time but all of my hiking has been by myself. To go alone, first time, seemed like a bad idea. I've been averaging 12+ mi day hikes for some time now. Last week I did Reavis Falls and the week before a loop through Terrapin and around Dutchman 17mi. I should be able to keep up.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Jan 11 2010 11:01 am

Looking forward to Saturday. Thank you for the input on this hike. As usual, I will have GPS with preloaded waypoints. Will be good to meet some new faces...pencak and rush. Note my cell number in case you need to contact me (480-258-3443). Meet time is 8am. We usually give people about a 10 minute window to show-up, unless we get a phone call with a later eta. We will meet near the back of the grocery store parking lot.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Jan 12 2010 1:15 pm

Back of parking lot.....meaning furthest from the store.

Texx

Post by Texx » Jan 14 2010 1:19 am

Sounds like fun. I am planning Carney to summit on the same day.
If my friend falls through, i might see you in the parking lot.

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Jan 14 2010 10:36 am

Always a good idea to have a back-up plan. Maybe we will see you.

MARLIN
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by MARLIN » Jan 14 2010 1:04 pm

Any chance to start earlier… say 6:30am ?

pencak

Post by pencak » Jan 14 2010 7:49 pm

MARLIN wrote:Any chance to start earlier… say 6:30am ?
Rick - This sounds like a good idea, starting earlier. It gets light around 7:00. It may be too late to change but It's a good idea instead of being rushed along the hike to get back. Days are shorter now and the sun goes down fast at the end of the day. If everybody who is committed agreed it could be changed. It's up to you. I'll be there a little before 8:00 unless I hear otherwise. I'll check this board tomorrow evening.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

pencak

Post by pencak » Jan 14 2010 8:48 pm

Rick - Some concerns with the route up Heiro past the pools where you were to the Ridgeline (anybody who knows please advise). Pulling both the Ridgeline and Heiro GPS routes I started mapping it out on the a couple of topo programs I have (I like using tracks). On the Heiro connection where I draw the proposed course at N33.41430 W111.40807 we can choose to veer off the creek left and bushwack up to connect or follow the creek to a steep spot at the end. For instance, coming down at the end off the hike on the west end the Ridgeline is steep and calcs to 22% grade. On Heiro from mile marker 2.0 to 2.5 we're at 27% (following the creek) from mile marker 2.5 to 2.7+/- where we connect to the Ridgeline route we are at 68%. We basically have to climb 723 in less than a quarter mile. I'll clean these tracks up and have both options loaded in my GPS when we make the hike.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jan 14 2010 9:08 pm

The choice is to go up the steep which also has a little scree in places or stay lower and "gradually ascend" but its thicker brush...choose your poison...our choice was steep ;)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 14 2010 9:28 pm

If you find the trail above the right of the creek it's pretty smooth sailing in that it's well defined almost the entire way. The one section you have to pay attention is the scree section. It couldn't be more than 300 ft tops. It's more in the 50 degree grade. Which is steep considering Camelback is about 23% avg. However it just slows you down for 10-15 minutes. It's not the heart skipping a beat type scary stuff. When it's in the 60-70 range you will know because you will likely be sliding backwards with steps. I've experienced that from Massacre Falls up to 5024 and jumping the Catalina Hwy at the Seven Cataracts heading down to Bear Creek?Canyon.

I'd go but I don't want to miss the game. My eyesight is shot, I had to have Stiller read the nano sized stats last week on my cell phone :sweat:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

pencak

Post by pencak » Jan 14 2010 9:52 pm

The more I look at the elevation profiles of both the steeper one doesn't look too bad. It appears easier to find and now that I hear that it's doable I feel better. Besides, I didn't like idea of tromping through a bunch of cactus just because it's slightly less steep. I'll have them both loaded in my GPS and topos printed. That's how I do every hike. I feel better about it that way.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Jan 15 2010 10:49 am

I like the challenge and I like the preparedness. I agree that earlier is better. My friend Rand and I are now planning to meet at 6:30am, from there we are dropping off my van at the Lost Dutchman Park (Syphon Draw trailhead). That should get us back at the Idaho and Apache Trail location close to 7am. From there we can jump in a vehicle and ride over to the Hiero TH. Sound good?

MARLIN
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by MARLIN » Jan 15 2010 1:45 pm

Sounds like a plan... I will see you at 7AM

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Jan 15 2010 2:25 pm

My contact # in case anyone missed it. 480-258-3443. See you in the morn.

Return to “Hiking Events”