Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2012 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 13 2011 7:04 pm

Hey Hazers,
It's that time again.
Let's here some of your Hazolutions for 2012.
I am going to try and get out and hike with some more Haz hikers that I haven't hiked with and some more with the old ones too! I also want to do lots of hikes I haven't done yet.Oh yeah,and finish the AZT! 9 passages to go. :y:
Now,how about you? :D
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: 2012 Hazolutions

Post by big_load » Dec 13 2011 7:10 pm

To put one foot in front of the other as many times and as frequently as possible.

Edit: And to get lots of good pictures.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Dec 13 2011 7:24 pm

Hike 500 miles, at least
Challenge myself with more difficult hikes (longer distances/more elevation gain)
Go more frequently
Visit more areas of Arizona and possibly the states around it

If I can, I would like to summit San Bernardino Peak and/or San Gorgonio. That's something I've wanted to do for a really long time. Maybe a shuttle along the San Bernardino Peak Divide Trail... We'll see what the year has in store.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 13 2011 7:37 pm

Well, I do want to do that Telescope peak hike from Shorty's Well, and train to be in-shape for it so I have a relatively easy time with it. In terms of a resolution, I would say I want to be happy with whatever AEG or mileage I end up with in 2012, or learn to adjust to doing less. Sounds bad, as most want to do more, including me, but unless I start driving 100+ miles for nearly every hike, more is going to far harder than it was in the past. Who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself next year.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 13 2011 7:48 pm

See new places. Hike trails I haven't hiked before. In Arizona, specifically Grand Canyon: Beamer Trail, Powell Plateau. I'll be in Costa Rica Jan-May. I'll be running the river in Grand Canyon in the fall, which is when I plan to hike the Beamer Trail. Powell Plateau in summer.

I will likely be living in the White Mtns. next summer, so I'd like to see what the Wallow Fire did to some areas.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Dave1
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Dave1 » Dec 13 2011 7:52 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Powell Plateau in summer.
+1!

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 13 2011 8:01 pm

Photography goals: mountain lion, a wolverine (if I'm able to make it up to Glacier NP this year), a porcupine (if I make it to Grand Canyon North Rim), a ridgenosed rattlesnake, a green rat snake, and a coastal rosy boa when I go to San Diego.

Hiking/Destination goals: Casades NP in July, Glacier NP in Aug/Sept, San Diego/Joshua Tree NP in Feb or March, Big Sur in January, and Cochise County (summer). I'd like to explore Aravaipa Canyon (both sides), Graham Mtn, Sheep Mtn, Picacho SRA in CA, Picacho Peak in May, Ramsey Canyon (summer), and Grand Canyon (both rims). I'd be lucky if I can do half that.

paulhubbard

Post by paulhubbard » Dec 13 2011 8:08 pm

Get out/camp/hike/sightsee more - Worry less. It doesn't really matter where.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 13 2011 8:39 pm

Yep, I have a few Hazolutions for 2012...

1. Replace 15 more pounds of Body Fat with 10 more pounds of Muscle. :wlift:
2. Quit Smoking so that I have more Money and Air to Hike with. :GB:
3. Find a Mentor and learn Rappeling. Do at least 1 Canyoneering Trip. :y:
4. Exceed my Mileage and Elevation from this year. (That won't be hard, I didn't start until September) :D
5. Do more 3.5 and start doing some 4.0 Hikes... :DANCE:
6. Start Backpacking... 8)

I think that should be enough to keep me busy and broke for 2012! :sl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Dec 13 2011 9:54 pm

paulhubbard wrote:Get out/camp/hike/sightsee more - Worry less. It doesn't really matter where.
Amen! I'm hoping to take better advantage of living in the Sonoran Desert (or a city surrounded by the Sonoran Desert), hopefully do some stuff around Tucson, do more big hikes than I did in 2011, continue improving my landscape photography and hopefully sell more (2011 sales: two photos for a whopping $45), publish more photos and maybe win a photo contest (okay, I'll count the rest of 2011 as part of my HAZolution), get to Utah more often ( :budrose: ), go to Colorado- get above treeline and see the Rocky Mountain Columbine ( :budrose: ), get a better job so I can afford to do more great stuff....the list goes on and I think I'm way in over my head already
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Dec 13 2011 9:59 pm

One good hike every month!
Find a short conditioning hike & hike it at least once twice a week ( except when it gets hot [-X ) with measurable performace improvements!

mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Dec 13 2011 10:24 pm

Dave1 wrote:Powell Plateau in summer.

+1!
+2 :)

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Dec 13 2011 10:44 pm

mazatzal wrote:

+1!
+3

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2011 4:42 am

desertgirl wrote:
mazatzal wrote:

+1!
+3
Okay okay! I guess I need to get a permit! I don't think they are hard to get, though. I am thinking June or July. I will need to get my ducks in a row, and get a job in the White Mtns., after returning from Central America.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

paulhubbard

Post by paulhubbard » Dec 14 2011 5:36 am

azbackpackr wrote:"I will need to get my ducks in a row
218-big.jpg
"Ducks" in a row.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2011 6:13 am

paulhubbard wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:"I will need to get my ducks in a row
218-big.jpg
"Ducks" in a row.
:sl: :sweat:
Thanks! I needed that!

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 14 2011 6:38 am

azbackpackr wrote:
desertgirl wrote:
mazatzal wrote:

+1!
+3
Okay okay! I guess I need to get a permit! I don't think they are hard to get, though. I am thinking June or July. I will need to get my ducks in a row, and get a job in the White Mtns., after returning from Central America.
I'd love to do this one as well.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2011 7:02 am

Go for one more, and we'll have a full permit! That is unless they grant the 11's for Powell Plateau. Haven't checked.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Dec 14 2011 7:51 am

azbackpackr wrote:Go for one more, and we'll have a full permit! That is unless they grant the 11's for Powell Plateau. Haven't checked.
OK... One more!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2011 8:18 am

Ok, Paul's in, so I'm starting a waiting list. Seriously, I won't be in the US at the optimum time for getting June or July permit, which would be Feb 1 and Mar 1. I don't know how well faxing works from Costa Rica. I may have to name a permit holder on this one. I can chance it and try for the permit in mid-May, but might not have full choice of dates by then.

I am thinking at least 3 nights. First night at the trailhead, since it'll be a long, long drive to get there! First day of hiking we'd haul extra water to the rim of the plateau so that we can walk back and access it. That is so that we can spend two nights on the Plateau, where there is plenty of cool shade under the Ponderosa Pines, at 7600 feet, but there is no water. We should plan on camping near Dutton Point, but I'd like to walk around and see the views on the other side, too. It's relatively flat once you get onto the Plateau, and there is a trail, at least to Dutton Point.

Dutton Point was Major John Wesley Powell's favorite viewpoint in the Canyon. Artist Thomas Moran did a sketch there.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”