Linked Guide  • Vulture Peak, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2013-01-01

# of days 1

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Vulture Peak - New Years Day

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 15 2012 1:30 pm

The Holidays are almost upon us, so I thought I would post this one a little earlier so people can plan. Did a New Year's Day Hike last year and had a blast, so I've decided I would try to make it a tradition. :D Will do a different Peak every year, and since we did Picketpost last year and that's Southeast, I thought I would give the Northwest folks a closer shot, and choose this one. (Plus, I've never done it... :GB:) I try to choose areas just out of the Valley so that we don't run into hordes of people on the Holiday. Carpooling is definitely possible, I can take 3 more people comfortably, 4 if you want to get really cozy.... :D Start time 9:00 A.M. at the TH. Should give some of the party goers a chance to sleep just a bit. Super Turbo Hikers can start an hour later and meet up with us, like you did last year, or join us for the whole thing.... And yes, I will be bringing the Kitchen Sink with me again this year, unless I can get Joel or Brian to do an Airdrop for me.... :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

outdoor_lover

Re: Vulture Peak - New Years Day

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 01 2012 7:33 pm

Looks like I'll be staying in the Desert Hills/Cave Creek area during that time, so I will be going straight across Carefree Highway and up, so anyone North interested in Car Pooling can let me know.... :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

BobP

Post by BobP » Dec 12 2012 7:12 am

There are a couple of nuts out that way that I'd like to crack. So I may join up with you guys... if I'm not in Flagg.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 14 2012 8:38 am

I don't have the day off, yet, but what the hell, I'll commit. Been wanting to do this for awhile ... :)

p.s. You interested in hitting Dana's Arch -- pretty much across the road -- before Vulture Peak? We could do that and still be at Vulture Peak by 0900 ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 14 2012 10:35 am

@rlrjamy It would be good to see you again Bob! You can laugh at my "Kitchen Sink" pack again.... :sweat: @kingsnake Either before or after, definitely possible....I'll take a look as it gets closer...It'll be fun Preston! :D

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Dec 14 2012 1:50 pm

I'm not gonna be making this one ... it's way too long of a drive from the Canyon.
Where is the "dislike" button?

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 14 2012 2:34 pm

@cactuscat
Completely understood, have a good New Year's Kelly..... :)

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Dec 14 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks, Pam - I will still be coming to Phoenix, though ... hopefully a Supes hike on the 2nd!
Where is the "dislike" button?

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 24 2012 11:25 am

If anyone's interested in Carpooling, I can meet you at the McDonalds just east of I-17 on Carefree Highway at 7:30. PM me if interested. :) May hit an Arch after we're done, since the jaunt to the Dana's Arch is pretty short and sweet... :D

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 24 2012 11:27 am

Outdoor Lover wrote:May hit an Arch after we're done
does that mean you're going back to McDonald's after? :D

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 24 2012 11:30 am

@The Hippy
Either that, or I'm gonna punch a piece of Rock... :D

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 24 2012 11:35 am

:doh:

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 27 2012 7:31 pm

Figured I would bump this up, in case people are checking the Forum. We're getting close and the list of "Interested" is a good one. I know one "Interested" will stay interested until he shows up, so I plan on him just in case... :)

This is not an "ordinary" Hike/Event for me, as I do a little "extra" planning and things are going to start moving right along. So if you've forgotten about it, and think you can commit, sometime in the next couple of days would be convenient..(hint, hint) :D

There are some HAZers I know that I would love to see again, and there's some HAZers I don't know that I would love to meet, so all are welcome! It's going to be a good time on a great Peak!!! :GB:

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Dec 27 2012 8:05 pm

Oh, alright. I'll commit. ;)

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 27 2012 8:44 pm

@Patrick L
It'll be good to see you again Patrick, glad to see you finally hit 21.... :D

For those of you Turbo Hikers, you can either exercise extreme patience and Hike with us at 9:00 or hit the Snooze and start a touch later and catch up to us.... :D We'll be starting from the Lower TH as I do not have a 4x4...

Barrett
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Barrett » Dec 28 2012 8:45 pm

Kingsnake,
Doing Dana's Arch before the 9 am Vulture is a great idea. Sunrise is at 7:33 - does anyone know if Dana is a photo op at sunrise, or would getting back for a good view of Vulture be a better bet?
I'll also be coming across Carefree, leaving I-17 at 6. My Tacoma has room for 1 more if anyone is interested in a carpool.
@kingsnake
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

BobP

Post by BobP » Dec 28 2012 8:56 pm

I had to commit Preston is going :y:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 28 2012 9:00 pm

@AbbeyJust a head's up about the weather next week. Right now they are predicting a chance of Rain. Mon/Tues/Wed of next week. That may influence the Photo Ops for early morning, just so you're aware. I'll be keeping an eye on the forecast as we get closer. I, for one, cannot do Dana's before, as I will have multiple chores to do before I can even leave. But I will be considering hitting the Arch on the way out, after the Peak... :)

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 28 2012 9:44 pm

Have fun everybody!

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 29 2012 2:18 pm

Looks like the Front is moving in sooner than expected and the chance of Rain for Tuesday has been removed... :y:

Return to “Hiking Events”