register help
show related photosets
Camelback Summit - Cholla TH
79 Photosets

1,  2,  3,  4  
mini location map2009-08-04
20 by photographer avatarFreespiritAZ
photographer avatar
page 1   2
Camelback Summit - Cholla THPhoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ
Hiking avatar Aug 04 2009
Hiking3.00 Miles 1,275 AEG
Hiking3.00 Miles   4 Hrs      0.75 mph
1,275 ft AEG
 no routes
1st trip
Linked none no linked trail guides
Partners none no partners
On the day of this hike my intent was to start the trek up the Cholla trail of Camelback right as the sun was rising. It was to be my first time on this particular trail. I had watched the weather forecast and saw that it was predicted to be 114 degrees. Instead I hit the snooze button and made it to the mountain by 6:30 am (about an hour later than I had hoped for). My friend and I, (me wearing my big floppy straw hat and carrying about a liter of water) started up the mountain. We could already feel the heat on our shoulders and knew we were in for a challenge due to the weather. On our way up we saw 2 huge Chuckwalla lizards, and a few bunnies. We got to the top drenched in sweat and decided to rest in the shade of the rocks while we enjoyed the view. Well rested, we started down the mountain and this is when realized I had drank almost my whole liter of water on the way up. This is quite unusual for me because I am pretty acclimated to difficult hikes and climbs. The day was hot, but I didn't worry and confidently continued because we were headed down and I usually never have had to drink water on the way down on similar hikes. I've hiked Piestewa Peak at 6 o'clock in the evening many times in June, July and August just to catch the sunset, and have never needed more than a little 16oz bottle of water so I wasn't worried. This was my first time taking the Cholla Trail, and unlike the Echo Canyon side of Camelback, Cholla's path is not quite as clear because of all of the rocks, so my friend and I managed to get off the beaten path. We spent an extra 45 minutes getting ourselves back on track and the day was only getting hotter. About halfway down both of us realized just how thirsty we were. I dismissed my little nagging headache as a figment of my imagination and continued. By the time we got to the bottom it was about 10:30 am and we had been without water for a good hour and the temperature was reaching close to the day's forecast of 114 degrees. On the drive home, I stopped at Jack-in-the-Box and got a huge cup of ice water to quench me thirst. I had the water finished before the next song on the radio came on, and my headache immediately worsened. Suddenly I felt dizzy and tired. I managed to get myself home and didn't even hop in the shower to clean off the sweat that had dried into a salt crust on my skin. I fell into bed and didn't wake up for 9 hours. When I awoke I felt like I had been in fight. My body ached all over and the headache was still there. I look back and realize that I probably had a slight heat stroke that day. This hike taught me a few lessons...don't get too big for your britches, bring more water than you think you need, and rise and start out VERY VERY early in the summertime.
wildflower observationwildflower observationwildflower observationwildflower observationwildflower observation
Wildflowers Observation Isolated
help comment issue

end of page marker