Fire in the Catalinas

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Buster Mountain, AZ  • Buster Canyon Loop - Tucson, AZ  • Charouleau Gap, AZ
Linked Areas none
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Fire in the Catalinas

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 13 2015 4:12 pm

Everyone, a storm cell just formed quickly in the Catalinas and created a bunch of lightning that started a wildfire about 30 minutes ago. I called it into 911, but it is not in a good area, don't know of any trails in the vicinity. It is west of Cathedral Rock, on the ridge facing Oro Valley. If I had to guess, I'd say it's up around 5,000 feet. Let's hope they can get it under control quickly!!!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

fricknaley

Re: Fire in the Catalinas

Post by fricknaley » Jul 13 2015 4:47 pm

this is the forum topic i fear
hi

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 13 2015 5:17 pm

It's climbing higher up the ridge now. I'm really hoping there is no one trying to put it out because they are convinced it will die out soon!!!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jul 13 2015 5:28 pm

Per the local news the forest service is " monitoring" it. Means they think nature will takes its course, with rain in the area.

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 13 2015 5:33 pm

Good. It's on the western edge of Buster Mountain, about 4000-4200 ft.

http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/tusconnewsno ... d=QVejDhTG

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 13 2015 6:27 pm

This is one of those media and population-driven events. During the summer monsoon in Arizona, on average 15 lightning-caused fires start every single day. It's quite a normal process!

On rare occasions when conditions are ripe, one of those fires develop into something large and potentially catastrophic.

But far more often than not, the fire is not within view of a major metropolis, spotted by tens of thousands of people and shown on tv and websites.

It sounds like this is one of the pretty standard 95% of normal, regularly-occurring, healthy acts of mother nature.
Profound observer

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jul 13 2015 7:36 pm

Fire is a natural process, if you never let the forest burn, then one year lightning hits it and the whole forest burns, scorched earth style. If a patch of forest burns every 10-30 years it is much healthier and safer.

Every time the forest service "controls a fire" they are just making it worse for the next time.

I would like to see a no fire fighting policy, but there is too much money, and some public safety issues, with that type of policy.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

DallinW
City, State: Gilbert AZ

Post by DallinW » Jul 13 2015 8:10 pm

chumley wrote:During the summer monsoon in Arizona, on average 15 lightning-caused fires start every single day.
Today I Learned...

ASUAviator

Post by ASUAviator » Jul 13 2015 8:36 pm

This reminds me of a couple years ago when I was at reach 11 watching a good storm lighting up the McDowells. Pretty quickly I saw the glow of 3 spot fires along the range. watched them grow a bit and fade out over the following hour. Pretty cool

fricknaley

Post by fricknaley » Jul 14 2015 5:05 am

i'm aware fire is a natural process, forgive me for being a little paranoid as i'm still not fully over the 85,000 acre unnatural process of the not so distant past
hi

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 14 2015 8:46 am

fricknaley wrote:i'm aware fire is a natural process, forgive me for being a little paranoid as i'm still not fully over the 85,000 acre unnatural process of the not so distant past
I'm with you. You can't help but feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see your playground on fire. It's one thing if it's some random place in the middle of nowhere that you're likely to never visit, quite another when you can view it from your back patio.

No official report yet, but it appears from my early morning run that the fire is out, no plumes or flames visible.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 14 2015 9:13 am

The Forest Service must be pretty confident that all is well, they've already closed at least one of the Fire Lookouts for the Year up there in the Catalinas.... The Lookout Employee is on his way back home to the East Coast. He said it's the Shortest Fire Season he's ever worked and he's been doing it a long time....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 14 2015 4:42 pm

For you other Catalinas lovers:

The storm yesterday also sparked a small fire around Charouleau Gap. I didn't notice this one and there have been no news reports of it since, so it probably wasn't able keep going. http://www.tucsonlocalmedia.com/news/ar ... 901ff.html

Buster Mountain Fire had grown to 130 acres as of this morning.

sirena

Post by sirena » Jul 14 2015 6:16 pm

@azdesertfather
Thanks for the updates! Got off the river yesterday and heard there was a fire, knew HAZers would have the lowdown. I know exactly what you and Frick mean about that sinking feeling. Love that area.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jul 15 2015 11:54 am

This fire is such a non-event that information on it is limited. So far, growth is minimal, and the estimated size is 206 acres. It received rain yesterday, so new growth is not expected to be much for the time being, if at all. Judging by a photo the FS posted on their FB page, it is on a ridge north of, and separated from the main body of the front range by a canyon or wash. it is separate from such prominent features that would benefit from some lower intensity surface fire, like Mount Kimball and upper Finger Rock Canyon, and Table Mountain. No inciweb page exists. This fire would be a good thing for the sheep.
:o

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”