Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
jtwolfman
City, State: Lansing

Checklist for Passage 1 through 3

Post by jtwolfman » Mar 08 2019 7:27 am

Does anyone have a backpack contents checklist for a first timer on passages 1 through 3?

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Checklist for Passage 1 through 3

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 09 2019 6:25 pm

By first-timer - do you mean new to the AZT or new to backpacking? If you are already a backpacker, then passages 1-3 really require very little modification. You'll want to check night temps for when you'll be there and bring an appropriately rated bag, rain gear if necessary, micro-spikes if necessary for Miller, an umbrella if necessary for the lower elevations - all regular adjustments to your basic pack.

But, are you brand new to backpacking? If so, I'll try and help you out with a basic list if you tell me when you plan on going and how many miles - considering you have substantial elevation gains - you plan on covering per day.
:M2C: Goldilocks

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Mar 09 2019 6:31 pm

not AZT specific but for a general idea

heavy | light | other packs
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
jtwolfman

Post by jtwolfman » Mar 12 2019 4:12 am

@sandyfortner
Thanks, not new to backpacking, just new to Arizona Trail. For example I've backpacked a lot in Michigan and the Kalulaua Trail in Kauai, Hawaii but we don't really have rattlesnakes. Do you keep something for snake bites in your backpack? If there is anything particular to desert hiking other than shades/sunscreen/hat etc. please let me know.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Mar 12 2019 8:28 am

jtwolfman wrote:
Mar 08 2019 7:27 am
Does anyone have a backpack contents checklist for a first timer on passages 1 through 3?
What time of year? That would help folks 'frame' their answers to your inquiry.
Last edited by hikeaz on Mar 12 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 12 2019 10:49 am

@jtwolfman
Another Michigander, eh! I graduated from Cros-Lex High, in the Thumb, oh, about a million years ago!

Snakes - no worries. And this comes from someone who does not like them / is afraid of them. You are not on their food list. I rarely see a snake, and of the few I have seen, I bet I've walked right past at least half of them and only knew it when someone else, who was paying attention, pointed it out. Just pay attention to where you sit / put your hands / check your shoes and bag if you leave anything out over night. If by some stroke of very bad luck, you were to get bit, the best and ONLY thing to do is get yourself to cell service and get medical attention. Do NOT try to address the bite yourself. Remove any tight jewelry, remain calm and get yourself to professional help. The most defensive (not aggressive) snake you may see it the Mojave - crabby little bugger but will definitely let you know he's around! Personally, I keep my shoes and bag in my tent. That way I don't have to think about scorpions or snakes using any pockets or spaces as good hideouts. If you do keep anything out side of your tent, just give it a good shake, look everything over, before putting your hand or foot in. Seriously, snake bites are not an issue.

Same is true when picking up a rock to pound in stakes - roll it over 1st. Almost always it's someone's home. Oh, and after you're done with it, give them their home back.

Salt - you need it in the warmer areas. Salty foods are important as are some type of electrolyte supplement, but just take salt and don't be afraid to use it. I carry a small container and whenever I feel "off", I just put some on my ever-so-clean hand, lick it off, and within a few minutes I'm good to go. Hyponatremia can be a real issue, so don't disregard your need for salt.

Shade - use it when you find it and carry your own. An umbrella is going to make your hike so much better. Use it for rain and most importantly, use it to keep the sun off of you. Allows to you hike without a hat, letting heat escape and shades your entire body.

When you come to a water source - camel up (with salt!) and carry a little more than you think you'll need - especially in the warmer / dryer sections. You may find the next water source is dry or you may find that you're moving slower than anticipated due to the heat. Better to have water and not need it than the other way around.

Personally, I keep covered up and do not use sunscreen, even though I'm ghastly white. I don't want to get it into my eyes, I know residue will be on my hands and therefore in my food, and I can't wash it off daily. So, I just wear long sleeves, sun gloves, big hat and long pants. But, that's not for everyone. If you do use sunscreen, a contact lens container works great. Small, water-tight and holds enough to use between resupplies.

Hm, that's what I can think of for now. I'm sure others will chime in with something I forgot to share about our beautiful desert!
:M2C: Goldilocks

FireFly
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Mar 14 2019 11:35 am

Good tips from Sandy!

Regarding long sleeves, long pants and no sunscreen, this also has the added advantage that you get much less dirty. The desert is very dusty and there is not much opportunity to wash yourself. Your sleepingbag will be grateful too!

no avatar
jtwolfman

Post by jtwolfman » Mar 18 2019 6:16 pm

@sandyfortner
Thanks alot, I'll keep that in mind

no avatar
jtwolfman

Post by jtwolfman » Mar 18 2019 6:24 pm

@hikeaz
First week in April, I'm only in Arizona for a week so I just plan on the first 3 passages beginning at the Mexico border. Also, I saw a guy on youtube , he seemed to have a map with details like water sources and mile markers...I see the maps on this website but not that kind of detail. Would you suggest a detailed map I can buy at the AZT store or are the trails and junctions easy to read?

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Mar 18 2019 7:03 pm

The guthook app seems popular. [ Guthook's AZT app ]
Or maybe better....join the ATA and download detailed maps (included with membership). https://aztrail.org/explore/maps/topo-maps/
Last edited by hikeaz on Mar 18 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Mar 28 2019 8:14 am

Last bumped by jtwolfman on Mar 28 2019 8:14 am.
kurt

Return to “AZT Hiking”