Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Cabin Loop - Mogollon Rim, AZ
Linked Areas none
no avatar
bcanode
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Cabin Loop

Post by bcanode » Apr 13 2017 9:35 pm

Has anyone hiked the Cabin Loop since the fire? Wondering what the conditions are like and if trails are passable. How burned is the area?

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Cabin Loop

Post by chumley » Apr 13 2017 10:30 pm

What fire?

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Apr 13 2017 10:34 pm

@chumley
I'm assuming... -> The one you reported on https://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?t=9722
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 13 2017 10:42 pm

:lol: :oops:

Forgot about that one. I haven't been up there but all reports point to a low intensity burn. Probably some charred ground in places but I'm guessing it's just fine otherwise.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 24 2019 9:34 pm

Just passing this along in case anyone is interested.

The Forest Service Mogollon Rim District Recreation folks would like to improve the Cabin Loop Trails. Funding and the bureaucracy are constant challenges but it's a worthy cause and there are some limited resources available to make it happen. One of those resources is an interested constituency willing to make a difference, know anyone?

A low-hanging task is consistent signage on the whole loop. The ATA has developed a local source for signs, see the most recent ones in the Mazzies. We've learned on the fly and have it pretty well figured out. There's also a FS manual--as one would imagine.

If anyone would care to take this on I can put you in touch with the FS folks, and show you what we've learned regarding signs.

Caution, making visible improvements to the public lands you care for can be frustrating, but quite addictive.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

wildwesthikes
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by wildwesthikes » Apr 25 2019 10:26 am

@Sredfield
I posted in that other thread about CC Cragin water levels about how I'm doing a 5 day of the cabin loop in a couple weeks. It'll be my first time up on those specific trails; I'm excited for the route finding challenge to be honest. But I would be happy to volunteer as part of a larger group to make trail improvements if/when it happens as long as I can make it happen within my schedule. Just putting myself out there if a trail management group is reading this and is interested in individual volunteers.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 25 2019 8:08 pm

What route finding issues are there on the cabin loop???
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 25 2019 9:10 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:
Apr 25 2019 8:08 pm
What route finding issues are there on the cabin loop???
It's been a while, but one tricky place I remember is where the trail crosses a road, but not directly. You have to follow the road for a bit to find where the trail picks up, and it's easy to follow the road in the wrong direction. It's not a big deal if you have enough sense to know that you've gone too far without hitting the crossing. It's the only place I recall as being really necessary to look at a map.
Last edited by big_load on Apr 25 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Apr 25 2019 10:21 pm

@Tough_Boots
Well there really is no tread from General Springs cabin east. I think most just follow FR300, but that's not the trail now is it? Following the blazes (diamond metal on trees) is not easy.
Go find a LonelyCache

big_load

Post by big_load » Apr 25 2019 10:48 pm

rcorfman wrote:Well there really is no tread from General Springs cabin east. I think most just follow FR300,
Yeah, I recall some discontinuous bits of faint trail along that stretch, but it was mostly a road walk (although not much of route-finding challenge in the sense of possibly going astray).

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 25 2019 10:57 pm

rcorfman wrote:
Apr 25 2019 10:21 pm
@Tough_Boots
Well there really is no tread from General Springs cabin east. I think most just follow FR300, but that's not the trail now is it? Following the blazes (diamond metal on trees) is not easy.
The trail parallels the road-- route finding problem solved.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes » Apr 26 2019 8:04 am

Oh I just assumed there would be route finding because I've watched several youtube trip videos on it and whoever the guy happens to be hiking at the time always gets lost and says it's tough to follow. Every. Single. Time. lol. My guess is they were too busy fumbling with their DSLR and missed the blazes.

big_load

Post by big_load » Apr 26 2019 8:46 am

elleryjk wrote: ... always gets lost and says it's tough to follow ...
For the most part you're following a either a long gradually uphill drainage, or a long gradually downhill drainage. The legs aren't exactly straight, but pretty much so.
Last edited by big_load on Apr 26 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Apr 26 2019 9:00 am

@elleryjk
Honestly, in my opinion, some sections of the Cabin Loop Trails [ Cabin Loop - Mogollon Rim ] can be difficult to follow. I use to think the Barbershop Trail and the U-Bar Trail were the worse.

As a first time hiker on these trails, having the ability to download into your Smartphone or Gps Receiver and understand how to follow the recommended HAZ "official" Gps Routes for these Cabin Loop Trails will help you immensely in not missing trail turns and for staying on track. Hiking these trails alone will also help you stay on track. Hiking with friend(s) almost always leads to complacency and mistakes.. :)
Last edited by Grasshopper on Apr 26 2019 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Apr 26 2019 12:13 pm

If I get turned around on this trail, I'll just ask Kyle for directions. I see him and Lily every time I go there...
You aren't late if you don't show up!

wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes » Apr 26 2019 12:52 pm

@Grasshopper
I don't mess around with that getting lost stuff. I have gotten turned around up on the rim once before many years ago at sundown when day hiking while dispersed car camping. Had to find my own way out without any map at all - what a great learning experience I wish to never repeat! That's why I come here first because you are all so knowledgeable. That and an InReach Explorer + Route Scout + map & compass. I am covered!

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 26 2019 3:22 pm

@elleryjk The rim is a great place to learn about getting lost. Every ridge has a road on it. Get to a ridge, hike south until you hit the rim. Flag down a car on 300. Learn and don’t repeat next time! :sweat:
Profound observer

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 26 2019 3:40 pm

Does one know south when they're lost?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 26 2019 4:09 pm

@joebartels Depends if they’re vision challenged or not. A cloudy day can make it more difficult if the person has never looked at a map before.
Profound observer

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Apr 26 2019 5:25 pm

joebartels wrote:Does one know south when they're lost?
If you're on the rim around Cabin Loop, just go uphill.
Go find a LonelyCache

Return to “Trail Chat”