Find
Map
Aa

Moto Trail - Can someone help clarify its route?

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Rocky Moto Trail #433, AZ
Linked Areas none
amy1300
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Moto Trail - Can someone help clarify its route?

Postby amy1300 » Jul 16 2017 4:45 pm

I'm looking for some relatively mellow Kachina Peaks-area hikes, and I saw what looked like a decent loop on my map -- which is "Flagstaff Trails Map", Emmitt Barks Cartography, 7th Ed. Feb. 2016. The map shows a "Rocky Moto Trail" roughly parallel to part of Arizona Trail section 34a, and it says those 2 cross one another about a mile east of Snowbowl Rd, and are connected 3-4 miles east of that point by a half-mile segment of what looks like the "Moto Trail," running North&South. This connector section is about a half mile east of FR9002. But here on HAZ there's only one trail with "Moto" in its name, and it's called Upper Moto.

According to the Official Route shown here, Upper Moto is 1.74 miles long, does not connect with any other trails, and is not in the right place to be the Moto Trail I'm looking for. (My map shows the trailhead at the east end of Freidlein Prairie Road (FR522) NE of the Moto Trail I'm after, while the HAZ Official Route of the "Upper Moto" shows FR522 ending NW of that trail.)

Does someone know whether there are "Rocky Moto" and just plain "Moto" trails that are not covered by HAZ, at all?
I'm not GPS-literate, so replies that assume I'm conversant with GPS won't help. Other help would be appreciated!
Amy
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

chumley
Decimal
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Moto Trail - Can someone help clarify its route?

Postby chumley » Jul 16 2017 4:52 pm

There are a lot of trails in that area that were created for mountain biking -- and motorized dirt bikes. Perhaps check on a mtnbike site to see if that's what the "moto" trail is?
On point.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Postby trekkin_gecko » Jul 16 2017 6:24 pm

amy1300
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Postby amy1300 » Jul 16 2017 6:58 pm

@trekkin_gecko
Yep - that's the shape I was looking for, all right! Thank you, and thanks @Chumley, as well.
I get enough close encounters with mtn bikes on the local mtns in PHX; don't need to get in their way up in the Kachina Peaks, as well, if I can help it! If Rocky Moto is meant for mtn bikes and even allows motorized bikes, it's not for me. Will look elsewhere.
Amy

EDIT: Wow - Now HAZ has an "official route" and page for Rocky Moto Trail. Does that happen automatically, just because I wrote the name of the trail in a Forum post?
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Postby Sredfield » Jul 16 2017 7:37 pm

@amy1300
Big Brother is watching . . . .
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby joebartels » Jul 16 2017 7:53 pm

@HAZ_Hikebot HAZn't taken a nap since birth, model employee
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Trail Chat”