Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2009-12-05

# of days 1

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

JF/Fish Creek Loop DEC. 5&6th 2009

Post by te_wa » Oct 17 2009 2:43 pm

Arizona native and all around cool dude DesertRoux (Ryan) is coming to visit us from his new home of Richmond, Virginia this December.

this hike is going to be a great one.. on trail, off trail, perfect campsite and awesome canyon hiking in Fish Creek. We are going to start this hike at the Tortilla Trailhead in the central Supes and use the JF trail to reach Tortilla Pass.. then make our way to Angel Basin and beyond a couple of miles to the intersection with the Frog Tanks trail. At this junction, we'll stay the night in a near-perfect camp spot surrounded by shade trees, a couple of flat spots for small tents, and several great trees for hanging!
On the second day we take 7 miles of Fish Creek (upper) canyon completely trail-less, lots of rock hopping and scrambling, and near the end of the hike closest to the bridge some serious scrambling over/on/around very large boulders. Some the size of a bus! We will end the hike at the Fish Creek Bridge on Apache Trail AZ88. A shuttle vehicle can be left here to get us up the hill the 2 miles back to Tortilla.

I did this trip back in November '08 and part of it just last month.. it is IMHO one of the nicest little loops in the Supes.

We'll head out for the trailhead around 7:30 am on Saturday the 5th, and return back home on Sunday the 6th.

see linked hikes for details, experience off trail and route finding in the Supes a must.
:D

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Re: JF/Fish Creek Loop DEC. 5&6th 2009

Post by oliverr99 » Oct 17 2009 4:01 pm

It is the weekend of my birthday. Might have to think about this, even though I don't have a hammock. :?

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Oct 17 2009 5:17 pm

i forgot to mention: just to let everyone know, this trip involves much more than just trail hiking, so i wanted to explain that it will be for moderate to advanced backpackers only!!
i dont want to see anyone get in over their heads.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Oct 17 2009 8:12 pm

While not the most advanced, the first day will be about 13 miles and involve quite a bit of catclaw and brush. The second day will be a ~9 mile rock hopping extravaganza!

Normally I don't like to do the exact same trip twice but I'll see if I can make this one since Ryan's in town.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Oct 17 2009 8:29 pm

that's basically why im doing it twice.. he wanted powers garden but im going there next w/e.
and i just did from goat canyon to angel basin and was reminded how kinda cool fish creek is. so i dont mind doing it a year later.. ;)

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Oct 17 2009 10:18 pm

OOOHHH!!! Round 2 eh!? We'll see as it gets closer.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

drewboy
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by drewboy » Oct 18 2009 5:10 am

How can I resist another Te-wa catsclaw shredding, boulder hopping adventure? That campsite at the confluence of Frog Tanks and Fish Canyon is definitely one fine spot.

Desertroux
City, State: AZ to VA

Post by Desertroux » Oct 18 2009 7:56 am

I must send a thanks to te-wa for putting this together! Way to look out bro...

Yes Ladies and Gentleman the rOUx is back for a backpack. noNot, I hope you can make it. Drewboy, I look forward to hike with you. Others can staire in amazment as te-wa and I bicker about Poltics, Burbon, and various denier's of sil...

My brothers might come as well. Which means this will be a party and some good hiking! They will be sleeping on the ground though, silly humans. Ewok On !
The Dude Abides.....

Stickfigure
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Stickfigure » Oct 18 2009 8:20 am

Sounds great! I hope my legs still work! :scared:

oliverr99
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by oliverr99 » Oct 18 2009 6:39 pm

So I am thinking this might be over my head! No problem. Thanks for letting me know, until next time....

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Oct 18 2009 6:48 pm

Desertroux wrote:and various denier's of sil...
sil? its spinnaker man, step into the now! :sl:

seriously, this trip is for the possessed, the kinda folk that give demons bad dreams, the suicidal tendency madmen who know what it takes to own this trail. 'cause if you dont own this trail, its gonna own YOU

*hope you love catsclaw

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Oct 18 2009 7:56 pm

Heck yes! I'll be pushing my way through that catsclaw in shorts and a t-shirt like I always do! Im really hoping to make this, we will see how it works out with finals and reviewing around that time though.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Oct 18 2009 9:42 pm

I got some new gear I need to shred. This sounds perfect. I may have to bring the captain along or first mate Jerry.

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Oct 19 2009 5:09 am

This one's on my list after seeing Nonot's triplog last winter, but I'll see if this weekend works out...
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Oct 19 2009 7:49 am

te-wa wrote:seriously, this trip is for the possessed, the kinda folk that give demons bad dreams, the suicidal tendency madmen who know what it takes to own this trail. 'cause if you dont own this trail, its gonna own YOU
So, yeah, I'm not sure I could pass this one up, with a gauntlet like that thrown down. As long as I can extend the caveat to "suicidal tendency madwomen"!
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Desertroux
City, State: AZ to VA

Post by Desertroux » Oct 19 2009 3:56 pm

I am stoked, looks like a good turnout.

Wally, Its awesome you hopped aboard. I need some help accessing te-Wa's druken world problem solving. Heheh.
The Dude Abides.....

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Oct 21 2009 7:31 pm

In response to writelots:
it'll be nice to have you. fish creek is a lot of fun, coming from Tookson, will we see you at the trailhead (main) parking lot? (the real t/h is 3 mi. beyond, with 4x4 mandatory for a short distance)
i hope the tortilla flats has the grille ready for some green chile burgers. after fish creek, i'll take 2!

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Oct 21 2009 7:42 pm

If people are open to it, there's a few places in Fish Creek I want to check out the second day. Are you guys planning to zip along like last year or take some extra time to check out the canyon? Hmmm, guess I could wake up early the second day...maybe.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Oct 21 2009 8:03 pm

naw, remember last time out there we were running from a storm.. this time we can actually see fish creek.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Oct 22 2009 4:57 am

nonot wrote:If people are open to it, there's a few places in Fish Creek I want to check out the second day. Are you guys planning to zip along like last year or take some extra time to check out the canyon? Hmmm, guess I could wake up early the second day...maybe.
Fish Creek Cave info for nonot:

The cave is on the south side of the canyon with quite a bit of vegetation and trees in front of it. GPS location was N 33 30.026 and W 111 16.177 and you will have to exit the stream bed and scramble a few feet through the brush before you will see it. There is a campfire ring just to the east of it up against and slightly protected by the rock cliff. The cave itself is quite large and has been used by the natives for hundreds if not thousands of years. This is a true cave not an overhang and it has not been dug out by pot hunters but has been metal detected by a local expert. So if you go there please do not dig it up!
:bigth:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Return to “Hiking Events”