Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2017 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 03 2016 6:18 pm

Hey hazers,
another year winding down. I'd really enjoy and or sympathize reading about how yours went and how it's winding up :) . I myself didn't make to many specific hazolutions for 2016. I didn't get LiLD in the Canyon but did get him on battleship in the Supes. I did do a few more hikes down south. I did get to hike with about 6 hazers I hadn't hiked with. I had a couple setbacks on the home front and a small injury but tried keeping the chin up. Hiking(and biking shh) wise I had a pretty good year. I got a couple great Grand Canyon hikes in. Some fun Supes hikes in. My first hike in the Chiricahuas. A couple nice family hikes with LiLD and his new family. Had another great trip to the Sierra Nevada's. I hit a few Az. county high points.I did try and ride the bike 3 times a week but it didn't help curb the appetite ](*,) . It seems I mixed it up pretty well between solo and group hikes. Solo's are cool but I can only handle my talking for so long :D . Hiking with quite a few hazers was a blast. Thanks to all who let me join in on the fun.
For 2017 I plan on trying to finish the hikes in the Boots and Burgers book, Heather got me. It really motivated me to hike more of the state. I'd like to finish the 60 hikes book and do some more in the 100 hikes book. Do a couple more AZ. county high points. At least 2 more Grand Canyon hikes and maybe another Calif. trip. Ride 3 times a week. No miles or aeg goals just try to get in lots of fun hikes with plenty of new ones and plenty of Hazers. I saw that my friend Bruce is one tough cookie. The water coming out of Reavis Falls is sooo cold. Climbing out of the Canyon isn't getting any easier.
I hope we don't lose any more Hazers or family members. Good luck in whatever your plans are and God bless! Looking forward to reading all about your year and Hazolutions!! :y:
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: 2017 Hazolutions

Post by Pivo » Dec 31 2016 6:20 am

I resolve to take one day off per week and add an easy/recovery day too. I did drop my mileage, AEG and hiking frequency in 2016, however I am really feeling "it". Not sure if it's the AEG or simply turning 60 this year. Starting to slow down.
I resolve to do Yoga 2 times per week.
I resolve to take more photographs and share them.
I resolve to hike more with Sandy and Joseph.

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 31 2016 12:16 pm

If anyone cares 2016 was a great year for me. My first season guiding on the North Rim went well and GCA offered me the same job for 2017 already. I summited Cheops Pyramid, Oza, Saddle Mtn and I think Kibbey Butte became my 20th Grand Canyon summit.

Woolsey and Shiva are still calling to me. Those are top of the 2017 list as well as taking a machete to the old Francois Matthes route on Walhalla Plateau.

I explored sections of Utah I never expected to! I did an 80-ish mile section of the Hayduke trail and saw some amaaaazing places and then managed to bag myself another 3wm GC river trip...life is good.

We'll see how 2017 goes, but with another summer on the North Rim and a vehicle to get me out to all sorts of fun places...not to mention I'm already half paid up on yet another GC river trip!
yeah, expect to see more Hippy on HAZ in 2017.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 31 2016 1:36 pm

Well less hiking for Rowdy and I. I do plan on more training for Rowdy in 2017.
Have a great year everyone!
Rowdy and Widowmaker

jacobemerick
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by jacobemerick » Jan 02 2017 10:14 am

(whispers) dat mutha lode

and more mazatzals. can't stop dreaming of tackling some of the more remote western sections.

xthine
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Jan 05 2017 1:54 pm

Plans for 2017:

- Reach at least 1,000 miles of hiking and trail running
- Hike in the Grand Canyon (been there twice but that was before I started hiking)
- Hike in Tucson (Mount Lemmon?)
- Do a few more hikes in Phoenix before the temps soar again
- Hike the Flatirons/Siphon Draw (never been)
- Go back and do Kendrick and Humphrey's Peak
- Try to find the Elden Slabs
- Go back and do Ajax Peak in Telluride and summit this time
- Hike a few more 14ers in the San Juans (RedCloud/Sunshine, Uncompahgre, if I am brave enough, Wilson Peak and El Diente)
- Go back to Mt. Sneffels but this time via the Southwest Ridge
- Go to Boulder to hike (any of the three) Bear Peak, Green Mountain, Mount Sanitas and the Flatirons.
- Lessen learned from last year: Log trips and photosets in a timely manner (so as to avoid logging all activities in the last 2 weeks of the year)

oldmanonthetrail
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Jan 07 2017 6:38 pm

- Finish the AZT
Made it to Roosevelt Lake last season .
I wont go into detail but I had a harrowing experience on Miller Peak on my first night and crawled down Lutzs Canyon with my tail between my legs.
After a day of soul searching I skipped that section and continued on .
I am posting this so I have to go back.
Its 20 below up here in Canada so I better jump on the tread mill and get working
Thanks for listening

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 07 2017 8:26 pm

oldmanonthetrail wrote:I am posting this so I have to go back.
I've found it very satisfying to knock off incomplete goals on the second try.

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Feb 25 2017 6:29 pm

I'm off to a roaring start in 2017 with 5,140 AEG in the first two months. Of course, there hasn't been one weekend day since before Christmas that hasn't been either rain, snow, cold, overcast or otherwise miserable up here in the high country. So, I am not too concerned about it. Next weekend is looking good!

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Apr 14 2017 4:39 pm

I've already surpassed last years recorded miles. Thank you Cheops pyramid. :y:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 14 2017 2:51 pm

As a time-honored tradition, I enjoy re-visiting the original posts in these threads. It's interesting to see which goals were attained and which ones were not.

A year isn't really so long in the grand scheme of things, and yet things can change so much over that time.

Previous years are fun too:

I'll let @tortoise_hiker do the honor of starting a new 2018 thread in the next couple of weeks :)
Always a good read!

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 14 2017 6:26 pm

Here's my list from this year and an explanation on which goals I achieved. I'm 5 for 10.
Offical HAZuolution for 2017:

1. To find a Ridgenosed Rattlesnake (failed in 2016)

Completed! Saw 5 of them. :D
2. To return to Ethiopia.
Wasn't able to go. I went to the Philippines instead. :D
3. To go to the Pinalenos this summer.
Denied. Stupid forest fire. :x
4. To go to San Diego this Feb or March.
Completed
5. To see at least 400 snakes this year. I saw 372 in 2016.
Completed! Saw 467!!! 8)
6. To photograph a rosy boa in AZ.
Done
7. To photograph a green ratsnake.
Nope. Next year.
8. Get a girlfriend. I'm tired of dating your daughters.
Got one but am still dating your daughters.
9. Photograph a massasauga (failed in 2016)
Nope again.
10. To be able to hike my usual route then workout without being tired when I go to work.
Negative. I'm still beat when I get to work, even if I don't hike.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 14 2017 7:07 pm

gummo wrote:10. To be able to hike my usual route then workout without being tired when I go to work.
We always assumed that being the snake charmer was your work? :-k
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 14 2017 7:52 pm

Looks like I returned to Zion, and hiked new stuff on my Nevada trips. Never made the dunes, might go next week weather depending. Next year, I wait for longer days and warmer ones if things do really cool off, and the start doing more stuff, hopefully. I guess.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 15 2017 6:20 am

Well I'm only 15 miles or so away from hitting my mileage of 2016. If I entered the runs that I do around my neighborhood I'd exceed it. My goal from last year was to simply get out and hike more.

Overall turning 50 was a pretty good year. Got married to a woman who understands my needs for trail therapy, won my neighborhood beer mile against 50 other competitors, summited Humphreys Peak and did a Rim to Rim to Rim. Plus started paying attention to some health issues and finally broke down see an allergist. I was getting tired of going for a hike or run, then having to take 2-4 weeks off due to the sinus infection that followed.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 15 2017 9:45 am

Good thing I didn't make any. I would never have guessed in a million years how it would have gone: Get back with my ex, move to Oregon, live in three different parts of it, grow a market garden of cucumbers, tomatoes and squash, paddle, bike and hike a little bit, leave Oregon and ex, come back to my winter home on the river, start hiking again.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

xthine
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Dec 15 2017 11:50 am

xthine wrote:
Jan 05 2017 1:54 pm
Plans for 2017:

- Reach at least 1,000 miles of hiking and trail running
- Hike in the Grand Canyon (been there twice but that was before I started hiking)
- Hike in Tucson (Mount Lemmon?)
- Do a few more hikes in Phoenix before the temps soar again
- Hike the Flatirons/Siphon Draw (never been)
- Go back and do Kendrick and Humphrey's Peak
- Try to find the Elden Slabs
- Go back and do Ajax Peak in Telluride and summit this time
- Hike a few more 14ers in the San Juans (RedCloud/Sunshine, Uncompahgre, if I am brave enough, Wilson Peak and El Diente)
- Go back to Mt. Sneffels but this time via the Southwest Ridge
- Go to Boulder to hike (any of the three) Bear Peak, Green Mountain, Mount Sanitas and the Flatirons.
- Lessen learned from last year: Log trips and photosets in a timely manner (so as to avoid logging all activities in the last 2 weeks of the year)
Only managed to do this: - Go back and do Kendrick and Humphrey's Peak

Was supposed to do Uncompahgre back in September but the week we set aside for the trip forecast was snow so did not end up going. :( (next year will plan to be there before August!).

In preparation for the class 3 exposed hike, I started climbing indoors (over preparation perhaps).
Realizing now that most of the year I spent more trail running than hiking. Now that the year is coming to a close, I am more motivated towards climbing than trail running. I plan to continue trail running (and maybe hiking) on the weekends along with climbing. Cardio for climbing! :y:

Looking at Strava: Distance 624.3 mi Time 147h 37m Elev Gain 74,567 ft i don't think I'll make 1000 miles this year.

I think i stopped logging trips early into the year :(
Last edited by xthine on Dec 15 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 15 2017 11:52 am

Well, did some nice hiking, some mine exploring, some short back packs, and more. Lost the boyfriend of over 10 years, lost 25 lbs, feeling a whole heck of a lot better and making more plans for more stuff to do. My photography is really driving me, and I am actually experimenting with some older less pixel cameras with proven sensors but mated to much better lens. I am definitely more relaxed on my trips and want to delve deeper into some spots that weren't really stimulating to the other party in the past. I hope this next year will be full of more exploration, and continued appreciation for our beautiful country.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 15 2017 1:37 pm

I didn't make any Resolutions for this Year except to just "get back"... I was still Rehabbing my Ankle in January and was having Feet Problems as well... Had the Feet worked on, but Thanks to Diabetes and Impatience, I ended up not being able to wear Closed Toe Shoes until April, so I got a late Start this Year... I made a Resolution in March though. I was the Heaviest I'd been in a long Time from being Off for so long. I looked terrible and felt terrible. So I made a Drastic Change in my Eating Lifestyle. Dropped some Weight, hit the Gym and was able to start getting back in Shape much faster. The Diabetes is Gone and so is the Hypertension. And the Ankles and Feet are in good Shape. Still want to lose a bit more Body Fat and I can always get in better Shape... :sweat:

And so the Outdoor Lifestyle picked back up pretty much starting in May, after being off for a Year.... Looks like even with the Late Start, I've surpassed my 2014 and 2015 Mileages and have more Elevation Gain than in 2014 and of course 2016, since I was off most of the Year that Year.... I may pass my 2015 Elevation yet this Year, but we'll see, not much Time left. I've been a bit Lax on my Self Propelled "Effort" the last couple of Months with the Autumn Season in Full Swing. Short Hikes with not much Gain... That will be changing now....

I hope to have a Good Year next Year if I can stay Healthy and Intact.... Will be starting it off right with New Year's Day.... The Calendar is already filling up and I don't even have one for 2018 yet... I miss the HAZ Calendar btw.... Joe.... lol
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Dec 15 2017 5:51 pm

Hiked forty miles this year. Aiming to hit Barry Goldwater Peak before the year’s up. Better than nothing!
I also climbed outside a couple times so that makes up for the lack of mileage.

Lumberjill
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Lumberjill » Dec 16 2017 6:39 am

My goal for this year was to hike 350 miles. I did great at keeping that goal in mind Jan-March, then sort of forgot about it. Around Thanksgiving, I realized that my 350 mile goal was still within reach - though I'd be hiking a lot in December. I needed about 60 miles, so with some long hikes on the weekends and after work hikes, I'd be able to get there. With my goal in mind, I set off for a solo sunset hike around Dreamy Draw on December 2nd, where I took a mis-step, fell and sprained my ankle. A fellow solo hiker came upon me just after I fell, while I was still on the ground trying to determine how much damage was done and whether or not I'd be able to walk. Luckily, I could walk and made my way back to my car. The next day, with my ankle swollen to the size of a golf ball, I realized that my 350 miles will have to wait until 2018. The ankle is healing, but still a bit swollen most days and unstable. I'm hoping to be well enough to hike on New Year's Day 2018, and considering my goals for the forthcoming year.

2017 did include moving some things from my "to-hike" list to my "hiked" list, including Humphrey's Peak and Camelback via Echo Canyon. It felt pretty great to finally summit Humphrey's!

Return to “General”