looking for 5ish mile round trip backpacking hikes

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
no avatar
inthesticks

looking for 5ish mile round trip backpacking hikes

Post by inthesticks » Oct 18 2018 1:00 pm

i saw babe haught trail. it looks longer than i wanted. if i started from fr300 instead of the fish hatchery how long would that hike be in comparison to the full trail?

open to other suggestions too

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: looking for 5ish mile round trip backpacking hikes

Post by joebartels » Oct 18 2018 1:03 pm

@inthesticks
check this one [ Babe Haught from FR300 - Knoll Lake Loop ]

you can create numerous hikes within
[ Cabin Loop - Mogollon Rim ]
probably a few in your range under the triplog tab
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
inthesticks

Post by inthesticks » Oct 18 2018 1:07 pm

joebartels wrote:
Oct 18 2018 1:03 pm
@inthesticks
check this one [ Babe Haught from FR300 - Knoll Lake Loop ]
thanks. i saw that. it says 5.75 miles. the majority of those miles would just be circling the lake correct? the fr300 to the lake isn’t very far at all i take it.

no avatar
inthesticks

Post by inthesticks » Oct 18 2018 1:11 pm

also, how far do you think it would be from fish hatchery to the beginning of the lake?

trying to decide if i should start at hatchery and go to the lake camp and go back, or start at the 300 and do the loop

no avatar
inthesticks

Post by inthesticks » Oct 18 2018 1:15 pm

@joebartels sorry for all the posts in a row do people get notified when someone replies or quotes does @username help? i’m new here
Last edited by inthesticks on Oct 18 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 18 2018 1:18 pm

@inthesticks
yeah [ gps route ]

I'd start from the Hatchery vs the long dirt road drive but I'm the wrong one to ask for backpacking.
@joebartels do people get notified when someone replies or quotes does @username help? i’m new here
yep
aside from an immediate indication at the top of all pages you'll get an email based on "comment reply" setting at ucp.php?i=165
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes » Oct 18 2018 1:21 pm

[ Garden Valley Loop ]

Quite possibly the closest short backpacking route from Phoenix -- try Garden Valley Loop (AKA Hackberry Spring Loop) in the very western end of the Superstition mountains - only a 2 mile drive down 1st Water Rd. from the AZ88. Many mileage options - camp options only a mile or two from the trailhead. Sites available right next to Hackberry Spring in 1st Water Canyon (clear water available year round). Lots of branch off route options as well. I do quick overnighters after work on random Fridays over there. Weather is fantastic right now for it. My one disclaimer is that the area is frequented by Equestrian users and pernicious swarming flies have taken up residence down there, so bring insect spray.

no avatar
inthesticks

Post by inthesticks » Oct 18 2018 1:35 pm

joebartels wrote:
Oct 18 2018 1:18 pm
@inthesticks
yeah [ gps route ]

I'd start from the Hatchery vs the long dirt road drive but I'm the wrong one to ask for backpacking.
@joebartels do people get notified when someone replies or quotes does @username help? i’m new here
yep
aside from an immediate indication at the top of all pages you'll get an email based on "comment reply" setting at ucp.php?i=165
sorry i’m struggling to use this map thing. from the hatchery how long do you think it would be from the start at the hatchery to just getting to the lake and not doing the loop?

no avatar
inthesticks

Post by inthesticks » Oct 18 2018 1:36 pm

elleryjk wrote:
Oct 18 2018 1:21 pm
[ Garden Valley Loop ]

Quite possibly the closest short backpacking route from Phoenix -- try Garden Valley Loop (AKA Hackberry Spring Loop) in the very western end of the Superstition mountains - only a 2 mile drive down 1st Water Rd. from the AZ88. Many mileage options - camp options only a mile or two from the trailhead. Sites available right next to Hackberry Spring in 1st Water Canyon (clear water available year round). Lots of branch off route options as well. I do quick overnighters after work on random Fridays over there. Weather is fantastic right now for it. My one disclaimer is that the area is frequented by Equestrian users and pernicious swarming flies have taken up residence down there, so bring insect spray.
thanks. the wife wanted a more green trip. i think i might save this idea for when it’s too cold up north. thanks!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 18 2018 2:39 pm

inthesticks wrote:from the hatchery how long do you think it would be from the start at the hatchery to just getting to the lake and not doing the loop
3.8 mi one-way
which is [ Babe Haught Trail - Hatchery to Knoll Lake ]
Probably aware but keep in mind it's cold at night above the rim now.
The map needs work to be more friendly on mobile with elevation profiles to understand distance.
That said it's a great resource...
ie: zoom in anywhere options > forecast helps in planning

Oct - 4-6 mi - Backpacking - Perennial Creeks

Can always go to Horton, Canyon Creek, etc and go as far as you like.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Trail Chat”