Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Member Hangout

Start Date 2013-08-09

# of days 3

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

CHUMS Summer HAZfest 2013

Post by chumley »

EVENT SUMMARY: Please join us for a couple of nights of car camping, or stop by for a single night or even just a few hours to say hi and meet fellow HAZers, and maybe catch a glimpse of some meteors.
Just like last year we will gather together for a car camping adventure during the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. Technically the peak is Sunday night, but there should be plenty to see Friday and Saturday too (weather permitting). This event posting is for the social camping aspect only.

HIKING: Hiking will be multi-optional with short drives to various trailhead possibilities. Separate hikes will be set up for different groups of people to join on both Saturday and Sunday to match individual desires and abilities.

IMPORTANT CAMPING INFO: Camping will be adjacent to a sedan-accessible forest road. Due to the number of vehicles anticipated, the actual camp site may be a short walk from where you can legally park your vehicle. Each participant will be responsible for their own camp -- bring your own tent, chair, food, water, etc. This is "dispersed camping" and there are no facilities -- you will be responsible for bringing a shovel and burying waste according to normal forest guidelines. Each participant will be responsible for their own trash collection and removal. Please bring trash bags and plan on bringing your trash back home with you.
A fire will be built and maintained for the group (possibly two fires, with one specifically for cooking). There will be a large area with plenty of room to set up tents.

DIRECTIONS TO HAZFEST: Due to record rains in July, I drove the road on Saturday (in a heavy rain shower) to verify that it is still sedan accessible. In my opinion, it is. However, there are some big puddles along the way which may or may not still be present depending on rainfall between now and then. If you are not comfortable driving on muddy, wet forest roads in your vehicle, please do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility for your ability to get to this location. If you are not comfortable, please turn around. I will provide as much information as possible, but the final decision on where you drive your vehicle is yours and yours alone.

Now then. The location where we will be camped is southwest of Wild Bill Hill. The driving route is marked on this HAZ Map. You may change the layers if you wish. The (default view) "MyTopo" layer shows some of the Forest Road numbers. The "Map" layer is a more traditional Google Maps view, while the "Satellite" layer provides an aerial photograph of the area. If you have questions about how to get there, please post in this forum or contact me via PM.

The text version of the directions are as follows:
From Flagstaff, head west on I-40 about 10 miles.
Take exit 185 (Bellemont) and turn right. (There is a McDonalds, Subway, Motel 6 and Pilot truck stop here. Fuel prices are generally within 1 or 2 cents of the least expensive gas in Flagstaff at this truck stop.)
Turn left onto the frontage road and proceed 0.8 miles.
Just after the cattle guard, turn right onto FR171, a dirt forest road and proceed for 4.4 miles.
Turn left onto FR171C and proceed for 0.5 miles.
Turn right onto FR9003M and proceed 300 yards. (This road has no number sign. It is marked by two reflective yellow stakes with orange ribbons.)
Turn left onto FR9004M and proceed 1.6 miles to camp.

This area is under forest travel rules that limit vehicular travel to 30-feet from the road. We will park adjacent to this road and set up camp on the west side in the shaded ponderosa forest.

Photos of this route as experienced during the absolute peak of possible rain and mud can be seen here. Note these photos are geotagged so you can view their exact location on a map.

DATES: Friday, August 9th through Sunday, August 11th. For now mark your calendar and block off the entire weekend.

WHO CAN COME?: There are no restrictions on participation. However, we will be up late and probably sort of loud. This is not a campground and there is no 10pm lights-out quiet time! This probably isn't a great event for children or folks who don't like good food, adult beverages, guitars, terrible singing of good songs, and lots of laughter ;) (or at least tolerate others who do).

DOGS: Well-behaved and owner-controlled dogs are welcome. Please be courteous and consider other people or other dogs before deciding to bring your dog. Dog owners are responsible for their own pet and following National Forest rules and regulations (leashes required, picking up waste, etc.)

QUESTIONS: May be posted to this thread in the forum or you may send me a PM directly and I will try to respond within a couple of days. Hope to see you there! :)
33s over 45s
BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Summer HAZfest 2013

Post by BobP »

Flat Denny and Bruno have been bugging me to do an overnight. Hopefully, we can make this one :)
https://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP
juliachaos
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by juliachaos »

Eh, you know me. I'll bring beer and sandals, and leave the soap at home. Can't wait!
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

Awesome Todd! You rock!!! I was just wondering lately if anybody was going to try to put something together!!! :y:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob »

Maybe I can make it this year...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon
azbackpackr
City, State: Tucson AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

Rob del Desierto wrote:Maybe I can make it this year...
Dittos! I put my name down, and I put it on the calendar! It's on a payday Friday, when I work only half a day, which helps a lot.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
chumley

Post by chumley »

azbackpackr wrote:I put my name down, and I put it on the calendar! It's on a payday Friday, when I work only half a day, which helps a lot.
It's gonna be a commando-hiking-skirt kind of weekend! :o

Seriously, while some may be there three nights, in the past it has been common for others to visit just for one night, or even just for a couple of hours to say hi. Whatever works best for you.
33s over 45s
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

chumley wrote:It's gonna be a commando-hiking-skirt kind of weekend!
:o
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA »

@chumley
Will the "Perseid meteor shower" nonsense interfere with consuming tasty, adult, malt beverages?
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

@SAMBA
Not if it's anything like last year...If anything, it definitely added to the entertainment value, which was already off the scale.... :D
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

SAMBA wrote:@chumley
Will the "Perseid meteor shower" nonsense interfere with consuming tasty, adult, malt beverages?
I would think that it would HELP - heck, ya gotta tip your head back anyway... right? Image
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

I'm working diligently on trying to get a cameo appearance by a very special guest ... pixel trivia master and #1 contributor in all categories, HAZ Hikebot! As far as I know, this would be the first time anybody has met "it" in person. But what fun it would be to spend just a few minutes talking with it and picking its drive to uncover countless morsels of useful information about hiking statewide!

No promises. Just something I'm working on. :)
33s over 45s
Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy »

Will there be cookies? :pray:
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

The Hippy wrote:Will there be cookies? :pray:
If you bake some there will be. :D

What kind of cookies do you like?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
mazatzal

Post by mazatzal »

Not Aug 9th :tt: What's wrong with Aug 16th? Please Man from U.N.C.L.E.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

mazatzal wrote:Not Aug 9th :tt: What's wrong with Aug 16th? Please Man from U.N.C.L.E.
It don't make me no nevermind!
chumley

Post by chumley »

The moon will be waxing crescent and set by 9:30 so dark skies overnight will provide good viewing opportunities for debris burning up in the atmosphere.
33s over 45s
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher »

any estimates on how many per hour?
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain
Oregon_Hiker
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Oregon_Hiker »

@juliachaos
Don't forget your duct tape!
BobP

Post by BobP »

@beterarcher
There is no limit...you are talking about beer right :y: .

The top estimates are 60 per hour....at the peak. So figure somewhere between 0-60 depending on beer intake.
https://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Hiking Events”