|Hiking||1.15 Miles|| 2 Hrs || ||0.58 mph|
|75 ft AEG|| || || |
Attended the Arizona Archeological Society state meeting in Gila Bend with Mike Mattes. Interesting group and picked up a multitude of tips for some upcoming treks to El Camino del Diablo and the Seven Lost Cities of Perry Mesa.
Lot's of weekend field trips to choose from;
- Gatlin Site with Dave Doyel
- Red Rock Canyon with Roy Pierpoint
- Agua Caliente Historic Site & Gila Bend Museum
- Gunnery Range Sites with Adrianne Rankin
- Painted Rocks and Hummingbird Point Petroglyph Sites with Cheryl Blanchard
- Pierpoint and Enterprise Sites with Bob Lindsay
- Gillespie Dam Petroglyph Site with Roy Pierpoint
Serendipity? Also discovered that Dr. David Doyel is the Cultural Resource Manager for Luke Air Force Base and Barry M. Goldwater Range. Had a good discussion about the ancient trade and salt route that traverses the BMGR and El Camino del Diablo. Provides context for all the glyphs near Charlie Bell Pass and Tinaja Altas. Found it interesting that many of the artifacts uncovered during the Wasley and Johnson excavations during the late 50's and early 60's were recently repratriated to many of the local Indian bands and likely reburried in secret locations...
More Serendipity? At the AAS book sale, picked up an archeological survey of Perry Mesa for $1
If you've got a passion for ancient ruins, rock art, or southwest history, check out the Arizona Archeological Society and their website...