Linked Areas none
AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Bears In The News

Post by AZLOT69 » Jun 24 2010 9:01 am

Eight Foraging Bears Killed In Tahoe

Posted: 9:44 am PDT June 11, 2010
Updated: 10:02 am PDT June 11, 2010

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. -- The heavy snow and lingering winter conditions in the Sierra are forcing black bears into the valleys around Lake Tahoe, where an unusually large number of them have had to be put to death in recent weeks.

Nevada Department of Wildlife biologist Carl Lackey says officials already killed eight bears this spring, compared with a typical death toll of just one or two by this time.

"I attribute that to the late winter weather conditions," he said.

Unlocked food or trash lures the bears into trouble in cars and homes. Adding to the problem, Lackey said, is Washoe County has no ordinance requiring bear-proof trash receptacles.

Hot spots are centered near South Lake Tahoe, Tahoma and Highway 89 near the Squaw Valley and Alpine ski resorts.

Cristen Langner, a wildlife biologist for California Fish and Game, said the California side of the Tahoe basin has had three permitted bear deaths this year, which is not uncommon for this time. Each of the deaths was also a result of residents not locking up food trash or food, she said.

Langner echoed Lackey's words of caution and said residents should always be bear-aware and keep doors locked and food secure.

"The big thing is that every time these bears are successful (finding stored trash or food) it just reinforces that behavior," she said.

Ann Bryant, president of the Homewood-based BEAR League, said she's concerned about the death toll.

"I'm pretty shocked because it's only going to get worse as the season goes on," she said.

Bryant said based on calls, sightings and onsite observations, the BEAR League has observed more newborns this year than any other, as well as an increased number of sightings and conflicts.

Usually bears aren't spotted out of hibernation until May or June, Bryant said, but she's seen them as early as March and April this year.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

AZLOT69

Re: Bears In The News

Post by AZLOT69 » Jun 24 2010 9:09 am

A 70-year-old Park Ridge man was killed by a grizzly bear in the Shoshone National Forest in Wyoming, officials from the Park County, Wyoming sheriff's office said.

Erwin Frank Evert was mauled by the bear sometime before 7 p.m. June 17 in the Kitty Creek Drainage, about 10 miles outside of Yellowstone National Park, sheriff's officials said.

Evert was reported missing by his wife to members of the U.S. Geological Survey's Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team. Evert's wife had been working on the team in the Kitty Creek Drainage area to snare grizzly bears for research.

The team had captured a large grizzly, tranquilized the bear for research purposes, put a radio collar on it, and then packed up their equipment and left the area.

But after Evert was reported missing, team members returned to the capture sight and found Evert dead. Officials believe Evert wandered into the capture area at some point after the bear awoke and was fatally wounded.

With the aid of the electronic tracking device, the bear involved in the attack was found and killed by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agents, officials said.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jun 24 2010 9:14 am

AZLOT69 wrote:Usually bears aren't spotted out of hibernation until May or June, Bryant said, but she's seen them as early as March and April this year.
Interesting.. I wonder what prompted this years change.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jun 24 2010 10:11 am

Really seems odd since winter lagged on longer this year too.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Jun 24 2010 10:28 am

My thoughts are that with several years of drought the animals stored less fat than normal and they basically had no choice but to wake up early in an attempt to forage and hopefully survive. For many bears it may have been that option or starve in hibernation. Winter did lag on, but with some green up at lower elevations there are grasses that the omnivorous bears can consume.
My favorite color is 6!

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jun 24 2010 10:45 am

Jim_H wrote:My thoughts are that with several years of drought the animals stored less fat than normal and they basically had no choice but to wake up early in an attempt to forage and hopefully survive.
joe bartels wrote:Really seems odd since winter lagged on longer this year too.
Seems like the combination of these two are good reasons why: Bears were forced to go into hibernation earlier this past year with less stored fat and awakened earlier due to their biological clock..
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jun 24 2010 12:11 pm

June 23, 2010
Offense continues to improve as comfort level grows
By: Larry Mayer
Last Updated: 6/23/2010 9:54 AM
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Steadily progressing under the direction of first-year coordinator Mike Martz, the Bears offense concluded the offseason program on a positive note Thursday at Halas Hall.

On the last play of the 13th and final OTA practice, quarterback Jay Cutler capped a two-minute drill by rifling a touchdown pass to tight end Desmond Clark across the middle of the end zone.

OOPS... I think I misinterpreted the thread... My Bad!
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 24 2010 1:45 pm

:sl:
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 24 2010 9:30 pm

AZLOT69 wrote:Erwin Frank Evert was mauled by the bear sometime before 7 p.m. June 17 in the Kitty Creek Drainage, about 10 miles outside of Yellowstone National Park, sheriff's officials said.
There are a lot of details out on this one. He was begging for trouble. He not only ignored warning signs, but called around to make sure he knew exactly where to go.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 25 2010 4:09 am

Whoa. You saying he was suicidal? I can think of a lot more less painful ways to off myself than that! Sheesh!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 25 2010 10:19 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Whoa. You saying he was suicidal? I can think of a lot more less painful ways to off myself than that! Sheesh!
I don't think he was suicidal, but he might as well have been. His wife was a wildlife researcher working in that area, although she wasn't connected to the guys working with the bears. It does seem like he wanted to see that bear, though.

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jun 25 2010 11:08 pm

Bruce, the Bears from Chicago are going nowhere this year and you know it. At least their stadium is right next to the aquarium.... Cutler will throw 2X more picks than Peppers has sacks, though my boy Lance Briggs will have another great season.

There have been a lot of bear problems near the the Santa Ritas this year:
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article ... 03286.html

Of course there's the poor bruin caught near Picacho:
http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=12485125

And the bear that somehow made it to Sun Lakes:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... k0609.html

I've posted this here before, but back in the '90s I was at a party @ the Quadrangle Apartments just east of University and Rural in Tempe near ASU, and a black bear cub was caught. We couldn't believe it. We thought the cops were there for my friend's party. That one was a one-year-old, I believe, and the other incidents I posted links to involve 2-year-olds who have undoubtedly been kicked out of their original territories.

I feel that this is an artifact of our civilization. In olden times a bear from the Catalinas, Pinalenos, Santa Ritas, eastern Superstitions, etc. would reach 2 years old, and be kicked off of the mountain because of the presence of older male bears. These young bears would travel far and wide looking to establish a territory. As we've fragmented their high-country habitat and forced them into certain corridors they end up in places like Sun Lakes and Picacho (home of Eddie's Bar & Grill).

I remember RedRox44 saying that this would be a "grassy" year back when we were seeing weekly winter storms here in February-March, and I have a hard time believing that not only was she correct, but that that's playing a part in this. Perhaps we'll see a poor berry crop this year in the high country, and that would result in even more unfavorable man-bear encounters.

fotogirl53
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by fotogirl53 » Jun 27 2010 12:11 am

There's been a black bear roaming around Sedona the past few days. They finally captured him on Saturday afternoon. He's a problem bear that had already been relocated from the Blue Ridge area. I guess the authorities are looking for him a home (zoo, etc.) or he may be euthanized because he is a habitual offender. :cry:
Allergic to cities.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jun 27 2010 2:11 pm

This may have been the bear that my brother observed at Blue Ridge Campground that Arizona Game and Fish Gestapo " relocated".
jk

AZLOT69

Post by AZLOT69 » Jul 06 2010 4:19 pm

That’s getting off lightly, for sure, but Sam McClure’s predawn encounter with a black bear while hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail two years ago was a frightening experience.

McClure, then 16 and an experienced backpacker, had set up camp near the trail south of Tahoe Meadows on a Monday night in July. He was awakened shortly after 4 a.m. by a heavy animal “falling” across his tent.

Its silhouette in the moonlight made clear what the animal was — a bear. Not a big bear, but big enough.

The bear threw its bulk across the tent again. McClure stayed still in a fetal position in his sleeping bag, hoping it would go away.

It didn’t. Next McClure felt the bear scratching at his back, then begin to bite at his neck.

“I was obviously scared. At the time, I pretty much thought it was the end,” McClure said.

He knew he had to do something. McClure made a sudden lurching movement, at the same time yelling at the bear to go away.

It did, loping off about 20 yards before stopping. The bear then started to walk back toward McClure. He yelled at it again, and it disappeared for good.

Now 18 and a resident of Menlo Park, Calif., McClure believes the incident was a “rough play, probing-type event,” not an aggressive attack.
A close encounter

“I think if it was, I wouldn’t be here,” said McClure, who remains an active backpacker. “It was just one of those freak things that happens.”

Nevada bear biologist Carl Lackey, who took a report on the 2008 incident, agrees. While McClure didn’t have food inside his tent, he did have a cookie wrapper and strawberry toothpaste — items likely producing scents that attracted the bear.

“I would not classify this incident as an attack but rather a case of mistaken identity,” Lackey wrote in his report. “The bear was looking for food. The bear did not display behavior that could be construed as aggressive toward the victim although there is a very thin line between the bear’s behavior in this incident and what could have happened had Sam not yelled at the bear when he did.”
No one has ever been killed or seriously injured by a bear in the area. In 1995, in an incident similar to McClure’s, a 13-year-old boy camping with two friends near Meeks Bay suffered gashes to his head when a bear tore through his tent in search of food. California Fish and Game officials reported at the time that Richard Warf was the first human injured by a bear in the Lake Tahoe area in 25 years.

Lackey has heard of an undocumented incident reported to have occurred in the Hunter Lake area in the early 1990s. A man allegedly was tossing cookies at a bear from the bed of his truck and paid the consequences, Lackey said.

“About the time the bear got up to him the guy ran out of cookies,” Lackey said. “The bear swatted him.”

Will someone, some day, be seriously injured or killed by a bear here? It’s certainly possible, Lackey said. He cited the 2007 case of an 11-year-old boy who was fatally mauled by a black bear after being pulled screaming from his tent in Utah. Last year, an elderly woman in Colorado was killed by a bear she was feeding, Lackey said.

And just last Sunday, a hiker in Kentucky was mauled by a black bear in the first such incident recorded in that state. He survived the attack.

Lackey is particularly worried over risks posed by aggressive bears increasingly breaking into sometimes-occupied homes in search of food.

“The potential is always there,” Lackey said. “It only takes one to ruin your day. Who cares about statistics?”

But statistics should mean something, argues Ann Bryant, founder of Lake Tahoe’s Bear League.

“Your chances of being killed by your neighbor’s dog are 147 times greater,” Bryant said. “They’re not an aggressive, man-eating monster.”
--Mark Twain

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 06 2010 7:02 pm

Most of us have heard about Anna Knochel, who was attacked and very badly mauled by a bear at Camp Lawton in the Catalinas in 1996. She has permanent injuries from that. I have posted about it on here many times because my daughter was there when it happened. It was a 4H club campout--they were renting the Scout camp.

The bear was used to getting its food from camps and garbage cans, and had also been deliberately and routinely fed 5 gallon buckets of ice cream by a cabin owner in Summerhaven.

Anna's parents sued the Forest Service because not only was that bear a tagged, numbered and well-known problem bear, that bear was not even born in the Catalinas. It had been moved there because it was a known problem bear somewhere else!

no avatar
Ckzona
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by Ckzona » Jul 07 2010 1:23 am

I was on a forum called Azflyandtie a fishing forum, and I have heard alot of bear problems and someone even killed a bear along the Black River at a campsite called Elwood Campsite i believe. Something about the bears being extremely aggressive, and someone even shot one in self defense or something like that.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 07 2010 5:31 am

Never heard that story. I will have to ask around.

no avatar
Ckzona
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by Ckzona » Jul 07 2010 5:50 am

Here azbackpackr. Just check out the link it tells you about the bear problems there

http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/sho ... php?t=7776

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 07 2010 6:16 am

OK, that is way downstream. I definitely avoid the San Carlos reservation! The upper Black River is close to my home, and I have not heard anything about bad bear problems. This problem sounds localized to crowded campground and fishing areas, not backpacking and hiking areas. Any bears I have ever seen while backpacking along the Mainstem Black River in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest were running away from me as fast as they could. We hang up our food in a tree at night, of course.

However it is a good thing to be aware of. They can definitely hurt you if they want to.

Return to “Fauna”