Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Dschur » Nov 16 2010 2:04 pm

Hike Arizona urges anyone interested in searching to post or join an event.

If you go out, please track your hike on a GPS and post it for the benefit of future searches. Simply post it upon return. (if you need help ask the webmaster) Hike Arizona will see that it gets linked to a master map. If you have multiple variations in your group, please post all tracks. As more info is posted the map will evolve and the overlaps will be removed.

Searched Routes

Southern Ravines Map

Forecast Mormon Grove & Peeley

Crews looking for missing hiker
By Alexis Bechman

November 16, 2010
Tonto Rim Search and Rescue volunteers and Gila County Sheriff officers are currently searching for an overdue hiker.

The man, whose name has not been released, was last heard from nine days ago and is believed to be hiking near the Mt. Peeley trail or Sheep Mountain, off Forest Road 201, southwest of Payson.

The Gila County Sheriff’s Office first received a call that the man was overdue Monday, Nov. 15 about 9 p.m.

“The hiker has not been heard from since Nov. 7 and frequents the Mazatzal Mountain Wilderness area,” according to a press release from the sheriff’s office.

The missing hiker’s vehicle was located at the Mt. Peeley trailhead.

Six TRSAR volunteers are currently searching the ground. Earlier Tuesday, a Department of Public Safety Ranger helicopter did an aerial search of the area, but found no signs of the man
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Grasshopper » Sep 13 2015 8:55 am

For GPSjoe - 5 yr Anniversary at Mt. Peeley TH: Sat-11/14/15
viewtopic.php?p=111913#p111913

no avatar
Roadtorque
City, State: Scottsdale, Az

Post by Roadtorque » May 09 2017 5:56 pm

Hi all, I have been out of state the last few years but I check this tread from time to time for gpsjoe updates. I've been surprised to see no new news for several years. Is there still no closure to this tragedy?

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » May 13 2017 6:36 am

I see that no one directly involved in the original search has got back to you but no he was never found and I do not know if anyone on this site or others are still looking for him. Originally there was a reward posted by his relatives but I do not know if that is still offered. Perhaps someone more familiar with current searches for Joe will reply.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » May 13 2017 11:12 am

Just fyi.. On the same date as Roadtorque posted, I acknowledged back to him via our more appropriate HAZ Personal Mail to reconfirm this topic as "no official closure" to date.

Also, regarding the below comment "Originally there was a reward posted by his relatives but I do not know if that is still offered." There was never a reward posted by GPSjoe's relatives.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Return to “Missing Hikers”